Nintendo Wii U Storage Expansion FAQ V2.0

#51t3rmin8erPosted 5/7/2013 1:56:25 AMmessage detail
I have the same problem with a 1TB Seagate HDD, although mine is 1hr til sleep. The solution is to go into into settings on the wii u, then data management. Move the data for the file from the wii u onto the HDD.
After 5 to 8 minutes game play save your game and continue playing, every time you save your game it restarts the sleep timer on the HDD. You should be saving your game play every 10 min anyway if there is no auto save feature on the game, in case of a powercut. Nothing worse than 2 hrs more game play and losing everything because you haven't been saving it, never turn off auto save features.
#52TCaC04(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 2:58:33 PMmessage detail
Sorry I was away, had to take care of a few things.

Vipsoccermaster posted...
TCaC04 posted...
SlyCooperFan12 posted...
Kung Fu Rabbit - 94 MB

Once again, Thanks for the info SlyCooper.

Vipsoccermaster posted...
TCaC04, I finally found out the problem regarding the hard drive. It apparently has a sleep function, which makes the drive go to sleep after about 10 minutes. I doesn't wake up until after I restart the Wii U, so this is why I can't save my games after 10 minutes.

Bummer. There's no way to turn it off at all? If not, that is a real disappoint. Check Amazon and/or Newegg for good deals on HDDs.

Not sure yet. My dad and I did some research on it about the problem. We found this thread: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Features/Canvio-sleep-function/td-p/347620

Just checked out the thread that you posted. Took a quick glimpse at it and it seems that it could be a complicated solution for you. You can try to follow the advice they give and see if works or the only other option is to purchase a new drive without the auto sleep function.

t3rmin8er posted...
I have the same problem with a 1TB Seagate HDD, although mine is 1hr til sleep. The solution is to go into into settings on the wii u, then data management. Move the data for the file from the wii u onto the HDD.
After 5 to 8 minutes game play save your game and continue playing, every time you save your game it restarts the sleep timer on the HDD. You should be saving your game play every 10 min anyway if there is no auto save feature on the game, in case of a powercut. Nothing worse than 2 hrs more game play and losing everything because you haven't been saving it, never turn off auto save features.

There's one way to make it work. If that works for you then great!
---
PSN: AZ_Killstreak_4
NNID: AZ_Commando_4
#53cyberpikPosted 5/14/2013 10:53:57 AMmessage detail
Resident Evil Revelations Demo - 619MB
#54Kitt ThrustPosted 5/21/2013 8:27:40 PMmessage detail
Resident Evil Revelations FULL GAME - 13GB
---
Go Go Big Underpants !
http://i.imgur.com/iAJrs.gif
#55wingo84Posted 5/29/2013 4:21:07 AMmessage detail
Just posting that I have purchased a WD Elements 1TB HDD with USB 3.0

Using a USB 3.0 Y cable the HDD works a treat! Formatted in seconds and have managed to move over 18GB of Data

58 on Amazon UK
---
NNID - Wingo84
Learning the flute/Contemplating buying a 3DS
#56Andre_B_RPosted 6/1/2013 5:52:27 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#57EurashalPosted 6/1/2013 4:11:13 PMmessage detail
wingo84 posted...
Just posting that I have purchased a WD Elements 1TB HDD with USB 3.0

Using a USB 3.0 Y cable the HDD works a treat! Formatted in seconds and have managed to move over 18GB of Data

58 on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005A97APO/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

I presume this is the one? It's good to know that it works well.

I've noticed there's a 500GB model there as well which might suit me better (only games I know for sure that I'm buying digitally are Mario Kart and Smash Bros. It'll mostly be used for DLC and patches) unless anyone knows of a good hard drive with less space (preferably 250GB at minimum) that'll work?
---
Expect sales to go up in Japan if the Marvel vs Capcom 3 trailer has Jill caught in [Shuma-Gorath's] Chaos Dimension. - DrunkenPilot72
#58BlougePosted 6/3/2013 3:44:38 PMmessage detail
So, which drives don't have the automatic go-to-sleep problem?

Did Nintendo err in its original list of compatible drives?
#59Infinity8378Posted 6/4/2013 8:06:09 PMmessage detail(edited)
USB is the better expansion per GB just check inside.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66157405
#60Legends KujaPosted 6/8/2013 7:07:22 PMmessage detail
Do any portable hard drives work with Wii U?
---
I pledge allegiance...
To Queen Fragg, and her mighty state of hysteria...