Why does everyone care about Earthbound?

#1Sharky8Posted 4/17/2013 8:24:51 AM
You know how much I love Nintendo and their first party games (see my collection list, for example). But why all the hype for Earthbound, still in 2013?

The game is simply not that great. It's decent. It's fine. It's unique. But so much of the hype for this game and the high prices are a result of the rarity of the game that has caused a cult following. Because of that cult following, everyone else has to jump on the bandwagon and say how great the game (and the whole series) is.

You want an analogy. Think about a movie with a cult following, like Zoolander. Terrible, terrible movie. But because a certain group of people who were 12-15 when the movie was originally released said it was great, now EVERYBODY in that generation and younger people have to see the movie. But it sucks.

I'm not saying that Earthbound sucks, it most certainly does not. But it is not a game that is so good that it deserves such a cult following.

So will it even matter that Nintendo put it on the VC? How many hundreds of thousands of people will actually get it?
#2Xenesis XenonPosted 4/17/2013 8:26:09 AM
I don't get the appeal of Earthbound either, but let it go.

Let the Earthbound fans have their win. They're allowed one.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#3Phantom_NookPosted 4/17/2013 8:27:10 AM
It's a mix of SSB players who want to try a Mother game, and old EB fans who don't have the game anymore or something. Maybe throw in people who like RPGs in general.
---
GT: Tommy XD001
3DS FC: 4682-8954-0442
#4RPGman1Posted 4/17/2013 8:30:53 AM
Maybe it's a difference of opinion, and in the opinion of some people, it's a fantastic game that's a lot of fun, and it's ridiculous to claim the game is average as if it's a hard-coded fact.

Personally, I love this game, and I can't even begin to say how happy this is making me.
---
JAAAYYSSOOONNN! SSSHHHAAAUUUNNNN!!!
#5LinkMaster2703Posted 4/17/2013 8:31:59 AM
Earthbound is one of my top 10 favorite games ever, so yeah I'm a little excited.
#6PigfartsPosted 4/17/2013 8:32:42 AM
Sharky8 posted...
You know how much I love Nintendo and their first party games (see my collection list, for example). But why all the hype for Earthbound, still in 2013?

The game is simply not that great. It's decent. It's fine. It's unique. But so much of the hype for this game and the high prices are a result of the rarity of the game that has caused a cult following. Because of that cult following, everyone else has to jump on the bandwagon and say how great the game (and the whole series) is.

You want an analogy. Think about a movie with a cult following, like Zoolander. Terrible, terrible movie. But because a certain group of people who were 12-15 when the movie was originally released said it was great, now EVERYBODY in that generation and younger people have to see the movie. But it sucks.

I'm not saying that Earthbound sucks, it most certainly does not. But it is not a game that is so good that it deserves such a cult following.

So will it even matter that Nintendo put it on the VC? How many hundreds of thousands of people will actually get it?

What the hell I just posted a picture of Derek Z, on onesone face book 20 min ago. It was a good movie.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#7ssjlinkxPosted 4/17/2013 8:33:59 AM
Earthbound is beloved mainly for its style and charm. I'm a fan of the series, but after replaying EB after soem years last month I can attest that its gameplay hasn't aged well. It was a great product of its time, but isn't so impressive nowadays.
---
3DS FC: 2234-7659-6680
Don't feel like playing your games? Watch me play instead! http://www.youtube.com/user/jargus0
#8Banjo2553Posted 4/17/2013 8:34:10 AM
Because it's been years since the game was released in the US. No remakes, no ports. To finally be able to play it again after being snubbed by NoA for so long really means a lot. Now we just need the rest of the Mother series to be localized and released.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#9gumbyxcore99Posted 4/17/2013 8:37:18 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10MegagunstarmanPosted 4/17/2013 8:38:17 AM
It's an RPG with a decent story, amazing atmosphere, and decent to good combat.

It's not the greatest game ever, but it certainly has it's charms.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11