Did they actually listen to the Miiverse pleas or was EB always gonna come out?

#11Starwars4JPosted 4/17/2013 7:07:43 PM
Wait, was it announced that Earthbound was added to the 30 cent promotion in the US as well, or just that it will be released full price?
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#12Pac12345Posted 4/17/2013 7:12:29 PM
AkaneJones posted...
Here's the thing. Earthbound was never going to be part of the 30 cent promotion in NA. The bit of extra time spent on the game to then give it away so cheaply is crazy. It's not as insane as Fire Emblem for it to be released as it already existed in English. But it still required that Nintendo look at it more. We can't really know if the Miiverse postings had any effect or not, simply because it was akin to dealing with Wave Racers' ads or Mike Tyson in Punch Out!(even if they latter had been fixed by NES era release in the first place).

Nintendo themselves make it look like Miiverse had some effect. However until we get something like Earthbound NES or one of the Fire Emblems on VS fully translated there's no proof that it really does anything. I'm saying the effect of this was the easiest to pull off, so we can not have proof either way.

According to Iwata's direct broadcast today (Go watch the Nintendo Direct presentation for proof), they decided to give the fans "what they wanted" because they noticed a lot of demand via Miiverse (They heard the pleas and answered back favorably, if you will).

So, unless there's proof or a hint that it was otherwise planned ahead, I believe it is fair to assume that, In this case, Nintendo listened to what the fans wanted.
#13Banjo2553Posted 4/17/2013 7:35:58 PM
Starwars4J posted...
Wait, was it announced that Earthbound was added to the 30 cent promotion in the US as well, or just that it will be released full price?

Just that it would be on the Virtual Console sometime this year. (The specific words were "by the end of this year")
So it's most likely not part of the 30 cent promotion.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#14Kentaro21Posted 4/17/2013 7:39:08 PM
Holy Palutena! EarthBound is coming to Wii U! They finally listened to us. Eat it, Pachter!
#15RyoOhki777Posted 4/17/2013 8:00:32 PM
I'm pretty surprised that they mentioned the Miiverse postings specifically instead of just saying "we've heard the fans' requests for years" or something. Especially if it really had no effect on the decision. They're going to get spammed super hard every time the fans want something. Maybe that would happen anyway, but now there's a precedent to expect results.
#16Pac12345Posted 4/17/2013 8:30:20 PM
RyoOhki777 posted...
I'm pretty surprised that they mentioned the Miiverse postings specifically instead of just saying "we've heard the fans' requests for years" or something. Especially if it really had no effect on the decision. They're going to get spammed super hard every time the fans want something. Maybe that would happen anyway, but now there's a precedent to expect results.

But isn't that a good thing? Fans get to have a more direct communication with developers and Nintendo (The hardware manufacturer).People will have a place to voice out their opinions on what they want, what they dislike, and what they expect from game makers.

If anything, I believe it makes it all the better for consumers and developers (No more shovelware, perhaps?).

Maybe Nintendo has opened the door for a more consumer friendly console by giving players a social placer where not only they interact, but they can also convey and direct opinions directly to the people in charge of providing them with entertainment products and services.

In the end, all the criticism, opinions, and requests that developers get via Miiverse can only lead to improvement for the overall quality of the games we as consumers play.
#17BosSBaerPosted 4/17/2013 8:53:37 PM
Kentaro21 posted...
Holy Palutena! EarthBound is coming to Wii U! They finally listened to us. Eat it, Pachter!

---
iOS6 - Baerskin //
PSN // BaerPwNz
#18TrstTheLordPosted 4/17/2013 9:40:21 PM
BosSBaer posted...
Kentaro21 posted...

What did Pachter say this time?
---
Got married May 23,2009
http://www.polarbearsinternational.org Save thePolarBears!