Earthbound for VC: How is that going to work? Isn't the tons of TM issues?

#1ZBug_Posted 4/18/2013 1:10:26 AM
Everybody always said that Earthbound had way to many Trade Mark issues to be re-released. Things from the Music, or stuff mention in game, that kind of thing.
Is Nintendo changing stuff to make it work or what?
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#2uberking422Posted 4/18/2013 1:13:04 AM
Well, I'm guessing either Itoi finally backed down and let them make the changes, or Nintendo's legal guys backed down and gave them the okay.
#3SocranPosted 4/18/2013 2:22:20 AM
uberking422 posted...
Well, I'm guessing either Itoi finally backed down and let them make the changes, or Nintendo's legal guys backed down and gave them the okay.

Yeah, the issue was never just legal issues, it's that resolving those issues (whether it's changing the music or just paying royalties) would have taken time, effort, and money, which they believed couldn't be made back through sales of the game. With such a huge outcry, they now believe that maybe they can make that money back.

...And there's a very decent chance they're still wrong. But, we'll see.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#4bwburke94Posted 4/18/2013 7:02:44 AM
StarTropics had a few TM issues, but Earthbound has both TM issues and sampling of copyrighted music. Interesting to see how this will get fixed.
---
Systems that block used games are in violation of US and EU laws.
If Micro$oft tries to do it... CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT TIME!
#5SouzetsuAerirPosted 4/18/2013 7:14:37 AM
Either way it's a day 1 buy for me. I've never played Earthbound or a Mother game but seeing the cult following for the series makes me want to support this and many others like it.
---
NNID: SouzetsuAerir
3DS FC: 1864-8496-7034
#6JobocanPosted 4/18/2013 7:15:08 AM
The legal issues thing is just something fans of the series made up in an attempt to explain why Nintendo ignored EB so much.
These issues were never true in the first place. If they were than Sega would have had trouble re-releasing the Genesis Sonic games, and FF7 wouldn't have come out on the PSN, or Chrono Trigger on DS, VC and PSN. I use those specific games as examples because they all have music that's similar/identical to other older music.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#7Kentaro21Posted 4/18/2013 7:40:40 AM
ZBug_ posted...
Everybody always said that Earthbound had way to many Trade Mark issues to be re-released. Things from the Music, or stuff mention in game, that kind of thing.
Is Nintendo changing stuff to make it work or what?

That's never actually been confirmed. A more plausible reason is that Nintendo got snakebit by EarthBound's initial release, which was at a time before games like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger made us American gamers realize how great RPGs are.
#8GencoilPosted 4/18/2013 7:43:22 AM
If there were legal issues, then how did the game even get a US release in the first place? I've never understood this, did the law suddenly change?
---
www.klustr.net || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#9DragonShadow12Posted 4/18/2013 7:44:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that it was Mother 3 that has TM issues.
#10ssjtrunk1Posted 4/18/2013 8:04:29 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]