Isn't Earthbound a 20 year old game?

#1Kovalchuk_Posted 4/18/2013 8:51:46 AM(edited)
I have personally never played it so I don't know how good it is but how come there is so much excitment over a 20 year old game?

How come they don't make a new earthbound game or something? I'm just curious as to why people are excited, was the game that good? I might have to try it out.
---
Gamefaqs:
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/too-true-g1.gif
#2DarthFloatyPosted 4/18/2013 8:50:19 AM
Yep, it's 20 years old. Many people have never played it. It was a cult classic, and very expensive to get these days.
#3MechaKoopa5000Posted 4/18/2013 8:52:09 AM
I'm 27 years old and just played it for the first time last year. I feel the need to mention that so that you see I'm not blinded by nostalgia. Yes, it is that good. Yes, I will be buying it to show my support and play again because it's a very fun/funny game.
#4Cecil255Posted 4/18/2013 8:52:13 AM
Why there is amazement: For one, this had become THE most valuable Nintendo game, cart-only copies going for at least $200 (even though the game is not so relatively rare) complete copies go for as much as $1,000+.

Earthbound and the Mother series has been the subject of numerous, concerted, intense fan efforts requesting that it be localized - and fans were denied at EVERY turn. There were a lot of suspected leaks/teases that made us think we might get something... nope.

For years, fans had come to grips with the fact that it was highly unlikely this game would ever be released, primarily due to legal concerns. Earthbound had a lot of pop culture references and even sampled/imitated licensed songs here and there. For all we know, the VC release may very well be slightly different in some parts.

Then this announcement comes COMPLETELY out of left field. For the digital revival of classic games, this is probably the biggest piece of news to ever come out. It fills us with hope and makes us want to weep with joy. I love Earthbound. I made my Wii U purchase yesterday and it's pretty amazing.
#5Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 4/18/2013 8:52:36 AM
I have personally played it so I don't know how good it is but how come there is so much excitment over a 20 year old game?

How come they don't make a new earthbound game or something? I'm just curious as to why people are excited, was the game that good? I might have to try it out.

Why would nintendo make a new game when year old ports, 10 year old HD upgrades, and 20 year old VC releases receive such levels of enthusiasm. With such low expectations Nintendo fanboys practically require nintendo to do nothing to keep them pleased.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#6NikraPosted 4/18/2013 8:56:29 AM(edited)
I don't get it either? Whats the hype about an old game I didn't knew exist before the over-floating on this board???
#7nbean16Posted 4/18/2013 8:58:18 AM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
I have personally played it so I don't know how good it is but how come there is so much excitment over a 20 year old game?

Why would nintendo make a new game when year old ports, 10 year old HD upgrades, and 20 year old VC releases receive such levels of enthusiasm. With such low expectations Nintendo fanboys practically require nintendo to do nothing to keep them pleased.

Exactly nintendo doesn't even need new games for people that own rival consoles to sit on a nintendo forum all day instead of buying and playing games on other systems.
#8DeathSoul2000Posted 4/18/2013 9:03:01 AM
MechaKoopa5000 posted...
I'm 27 years old and just played it for the first time last year. I feel the need to mention that so that you see I'm not blinded by nostalgia. Yes, it is that good. Yes, I will be buying it to show my support and play again because it's a very fun/funny game.

no, it isn't that good. stop buying into the hype please.
#9Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 4/18/2013 9:04:14 AM
Exactly nintendo doesn't even need new games for people that own rival consoles to sit on a nintendo forum all day instead of buying and playing games on other systems.

If making up scenarios in your head makes you feel better, I wont point out the obvious flaws in your logic.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#10EazyERockPosted 4/18/2013 9:09:54 AM
Kovalchuk_ posted...
I have personally never played it so I don't know how good it is but how come there is so much excitment over a 20 year old game?

its an extremely common game that people on ebay think is rare so they sell it for over 100 dollars and thus retro "collectors" must have it and view it as the greatest game ever made..

when in reality its average, above average at BEST, and theres many other rpgs on the SNES that are leagues better, but because they dont garner as huge a price tag are regarded as lesser..

seriously, i played earthbound when it released, and didnt think it was all that great then.. Link to the Past it isnt..
---
Robert Griffin III YOUR 2012 NFL Rookie of the Year