The wii U just MIGHT save gaming.

#91DesperateMonkeyPosted 4/20/2013 1:19:01 PM
The fastest sequels are sports games so... your not even adhering to your own flawed logic.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#92Shinobi120Posted 4/20/2013 7:08:11 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#93Shinobi120Posted 4/20/2013 7:33:07 PM(edited)
xChaosLordx posted...
Actually developers have hinted that their costs will be cheaper on the PS4 than on the PS3, because they get to work with a CPU using x86 architecture instead of a Cell processor, which was a nightmare to work with. This also means it will be easier to port games from console to PC and vice versa. They will also be better quality ports unlike the crappy port that Dark Souls for the PC was. Developing games for PC has always been cheaper than it has for consoles, so making consoles more PC like means makes their lives a whole lot easier and that is exactly what they did with the PS4.

But development costs will still go up a bit; it's rumored that the development costs for PS4 will increase from 10% to 15%.

3rd party developers are staying away from Wii-U because they don't want to share in Nintendo's obvious fail by wasting resources porting a game that simply isn't going to sell because the system for the game isn't selling.

When the 3rd party devs look and see that a Monster Hunter, Super Mario, and Dragon Quest X (Japan release, completely bombed) can't even sell the Wii-U then how the hell can the hell the games they are thinking of porting are going to sell?

It isn't any different from the tons of games 3rd party publishers/developers made on PS3 & 360 that failed to sell & to make a profit for them, but when a certain title fails to sell on a Nintendo console, all of a sudden, the sky is falling.

What makes them so sure that most of their titles will sell a lot better on PS4/Xbox 720? It's just nothing more than publishers being biased against Nintendo (especially Western 3rd party publishers).
#94DesperateMonkeyPosted 4/20/2013 8:37:19 PM
Its not a bias at all. If anyone has a sense for business, they would look at the record. The Wii game sales were pretty terrible in that quality had very little correlation to sales, hence why would developers waste their effort on the Wii U?

Sure, this formula may not be 100% accurate but nothing is and companies must make wise decisions based on what they know and what they know is that the previous Nintendo fanbase could not distinguish sales between good and bad games.

The PS4 and Xbox 720 are LOGICALLY better markets based on the history of their previous user base. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. You can twist things anyway you want or pretend that these "trends" aren't fool proof but the reasons are obvious none-the-less.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#95Shinobi120Posted 4/20/2013 9:18:14 PM(edited)
DesperateMonkey posted...
Its not a bias at all. If anyone has a sense for business, they would look at the record. The Wii game sales were pretty terrible in that quality had very little correlation to sales, hence why would developers waste their effort on the Wii U?

Sure, this formula may not be 100% accurate but nothing is and companies must make wise decisions based on what they know and what they know is that the previous Nintendo fanbase could not distinguish sales between good and bad games.

It is certainly so bias. Most of them don't even bother with the marketing/advertising of games for the Wii, which is why most of them sell poorly. Either that, or they never took the platform seriously like they did with PS3 & 360.

The PS4 and Xbox 720 are LOGICALLY better markets based on the history of their previous user base. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. You can twist things anyway you want or pretend that these "trends" aren't fool proof but the reasons are obvious none-the-less.

"Better markets?" Laughable. You have about 75+ million PS3 & 360 owners, & yet a lot of 3rd party games on those platforms sold poorly on them &/or failed to make a profit for most publishers, causing the publishers to lose a ton of money or having to wind up shutting down tons of studios.

And now they're going to go & continue this same drought with PS4/720 that may wind up having an even much lower fanbase.
#96DesperateMonkeyPosted 4/20/2013 11:01:01 PM
What are you talking about? Xbox 360 and PS3 core games have been successful since day 1.

Your argument that "some" third parties have failed really doesn't factor into it. Your reasoning is childish at best. A company looks at what kinds of games each user base is interested in. Umbrella Chronicles for example, sells far less than Carnival Games 1&2 and Zumba Fit. Gamers are willing to eat up millions of copies of Links Crossbow Training but won't buy 100k copies of Zak and Wiki. Great jRPGs like Xenoblade can't compete for sales with crap budget titles.

There hasn't been a drought on the 360 and PS3 since they launched. Even this "slow" year has seen quite a lot of great releases. No one gives a **** about which studios closed down. The only thing that matters is whether there is still money to be made and since there is, the gaming industry has seen plenty of studios pop up for every one that fell.

The problem with your argument is that it isn't based on reality, any understanding of economics and poor misuse of information.
---
#97DynheartPosted 4/20/2013 11:57:12 PM(edited)
All I see in this thread is chest thumping, and DesperateMonkey participating as usual.

AKA: Your opinion is flawed, yet my opinion is flawless. *chuckle*
---
Currently playing: Wario Land: Shake It! Mighty Switch Force
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ash_wwRQFno
#98LvthnPosted 4/21/2013 12:12:58 AM
Shinobi120 posted...

What makes them so sure that most of their titles will sell a lot better on PS4/Xbox 720? It's just nothing more than publishers being biased against Nintendo (especially Western 3rd party publishers).

Normally I wouldn't whip out such a simple argument...

...but are you seriously saying you know what's better for business than the owners of a business who have a fortune riding on making the right choice, have been in that business for years or decades, and have entire departments dedicated to making these decisions?

And to top it off, that they make these poor decisions WITH THEIR MONEY based on nothing more than "bias" against Nintendo?

I've heard some nutty ideas, but the suggestion that companies will pass on bankroll because they're fanboys has to take the cake.
#99AkaneJonesPosted 4/21/2013 4:53:04 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...

Your argument that "some" third parties have failed really doesn't factor into it. Your reasoning is childish at best. A company looks at what kinds of games each user base is interested in. Umbrella Chronicles for example, sells far less than Carnival Games 1&2 and Zumba Fit. Gamers are willing to eat up millions of copies of Links Crossbow Training but won't buy 100k copies of Zak and Wiki. Great jRPGs like Xenoblade can't compete for sales with crap budget titles.

Call of Duty...
But to be serious all the games you've listed are either new series no names with no advertising, to seriously restricted for you too even get them in case of Xenoblade, only released when the system was DOA due to PR nightmare Nintendo created, to a weird spin off when every RE fan wanted a real RE, which only sold for RE fans triyng to get Capcom to make a real RE for Wii. Xenoblade is the equivalent Enchanted Arms over on PS360. Zak and Wiki well there's a game that wouldn't have sold on any system, the name alone screams" Wikipeada game, what?" basically confuse people to what it was.

If you seriously think a rail shooter spin off of RE was going to sell well you are mad. Worst of all you and anyone that argues this point looks at over all sales of games like WiiFit & Mario Kart, then says well our games didn't do well compared to those. They completely ignore the fact that their game sales were the same as if they put it on other systems. They didn't loose money, there is just a more diverse audience. So the more popular system gets, beyond a point, doesn't correlate to more sales, because the audience for that type of game does not increase, beyond a point. Rather you get other audiences, you know, who buy those Just Dance not your Hollywood action game.

The Wii had the same sales levels of buyer as PS360 You could see it in games like Resident Evil 4 & that was just a port. As it stands that audience wasn't capitalized on with games, so that audience either dried up, got fed up with the trash 3rd party where tryinfg to short change them with and stuck to Nintendo, or when CoD forget you. But for you, you have a believe Resident Evil: Chronicles HD Collection did way better on PS3 right next to Dead Space: Extraction.

There's a reason he brought up half assing there games on Wii. Name me the games not half assed that weren't new IPs and had advertising, you know like Assassin Creed(Yes, I know that was a new IP, but I'm talking advertising here) or Resident Evil 5. There isn't anything really, and Call of Duty still did well. This is why Wii data is irrelevant to anything of what will sell on WiiU, you're better off looking at Gamecube data of anything none Nintendo.
#100mjc0961Posted 4/21/2013 5:59:48 AM
STE573 posted...
Remember 18 years ago when the PS1 came out and people said the same thing about development costs? Remember when the PS2 came out and people said the same thing? Remember when the PS3 came out and we had stacks of articles saying how photorealism was going to bankrupt the industry?

I consider people who bring this argument up to be either fairly new to gaming (which you aren't) or in some kind of bubble where you think that game development is as risky a business as gambling.

Yeah, and remember how over the past 5-6 years, more and more game developers have been closed and even THQ has gone out of business? The only one fairly new to gaming and living in a bubble is you.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.