That 30 cent Kirby game

#1baddcomplexPosted 4/18/2013 10:24:54 PM
When I'm playing this game, I have a solid color line going from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen on the left side. Does anyone else have this happening to them? It doesn't effect game play but it looks crappy.
#2elbarto1Posted 4/18/2013 10:25:46 PM
Everyone has it.
---
You cannot blame society's ills on video games Its just absurd-Capcom
:XBL: THE B0DY :PSN: bionichrist
#3MBBDarigonPosted 4/18/2013 10:31:33 PM
wish I could play in 16:9.. must take a lot of coding or soemthing to do that or simply allow stretching
---
http://backloggery.com/darigon/sig.gif
The most interesting man in the world
#4Xenesis XenonPosted 4/18/2013 10:48:30 PM
It's authentic. A lot of NES mappers did that.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#5DorotimusWitikPosted 4/18/2013 11:20:08 PM
MBBDarigon posted...
wish I could play in 16:9.. must take a lot of coding or soemthing to do that or simply allow stretching

It would be basically impossible for an emulated game to change the aspect ratio the game renders at. Stretching is doable and many emulators support it including PS3's PS1 emulator. The only way to actually change what a game renders though is to outright change the game, like with the Sonic CD port that came out recently which was basically reprogrammed from the ground up.
#6AkaneJonesPosted 4/19/2013 3:25:15 AM
DorotimusWitik posted...
MBBDarigon posted...

It would be basically impossible for an emulated game to change the aspect ratio the game renders at. Stretching is doable and many emulators support it including PS3's PS1 emulator. The only way to actually change what a game renders though is to outright change the game, like with the Sonic CD port that came out recently which was basically reprogrammed from the ground up.

Actually you could do it, but it would take lots of extra programming. First it would have to dig up the level data as it's loaded. Then draw the entire map, just like how a level editor works. Then it would have to edit the sides to display those tiles and move them base on how the map moves on screen. They would probably have to build extra data into each map call, to call up edges of maps so you don't go off screen, also. If they didn't you could expect garbage to get displayed on the left of right.

Of course they could force everything to scroll at the edge of maps, I mean force-ably move where the actual game is being emulated on the screen. But this would look screwed up on games with actual huds, not an issue with NES games, but a problem with SNES ones. NES games could just leave the hud area in place and move the scroller area.

Now after that it would have to track the enemy load data and the info while they are off screen, since the enemies are doing something in the left most side usually. However you encounter the spawn point issue, you can not fix this. It's the way the games are built. Basically when you load a level you can load fake enemies based on level data and they can sit there doing nothing, till they are scrolled on to the actual area where the level reacts to them loading. Which will work oh kei of levels where enemies can't respawn, but with something like Mega Man I suspect the spawn points are in the wide screen viewing area so they will just reappear, not at the edge of the screen scrolled in just on the mock up viewing area.

At this point though it's easer to just rebuild the engine and port the level data so the game natively runs in wide screen. It's way too much work to do all that and get it to work right. I mean it's like an SNES Emu running Super Mario World with Lunar Magic running underneath displaying the out of bounds stuff, and enemy loads being code to move based on their off screen data(the games do have data for their movement off screen, it's how it tracks yoshi's position for example).

It's similar to the emu idea tossed around every once an a while, of custom upresed sprites. Where the Emu would load custom sprites twice the resolution of the original and display those instead. No one ever goes through with it though, even if you could have 2 different sprites replace the recolours. Its like having a Red Koopa Troopa & a Green Koopa Troopa with different sprites, because it checks both the sprite tile and the pallet before choosing which sprite to draw to screen. But it's just too much work and tends to have to be customized for each game. It is in noway a universal emu, not even just minor tweaks. It would have to be custom built exclusively for that game and how it's data is stored and loaded,
#7PlaysaverPosted 4/19/2013 9:10:41 AM
baddcomplex posted...
When I'm playing this game, I have a solid color line going from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen on the left side. Does anyone else have this happening to them? It doesn't effect game play but it looks crappy.

That solid line wouldn't even have been visable on a tv of the time. (analog)
Game makers expected a lot of overscan of a game systems image.