Drop the 'rehashes' thing already. EVERYBODY does it.

#21digiblaster(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 7:10:43 AM
Lord Lizard posted...
To be fair, out of all the rehashing companies do, I've always felt Nintendo was tolerable because they always tried to change things up a bit with each iteration...
Until NSMB came along, at least. With the exception of the 4 player mode introduction, which was a blast by the way.

The fact that they've had 4 games in six years sounds bad, but they've said it's only one version per console. It'll be a good five years before we see another instalment, unless they go back on their word.

Schwepps01 posted...
Read Point 1 again. I said that nintendo is more noticeable in this trend because they only have themselves to rely on. no third party support implies that i can't ignore these games. new mario means i must play it, what else does nintendo have to offer?

But this could also be a plus point. Mario games are big, and they sell well. The fact that they're Nintendo only means that no other consoles have them, thus their hardware has a USP. It's also worth mentioning that Nintendo will always have a stream of games for their own consoles, whereas Sony and Microsoft are depending on other companies games for them.

huyi posted...
it's not the rehashes we have to worry about, its the hd remasters that are polluting the game industry and film industry too, everyone is taking the lazy approach and they don't want to come up with anything original anymore.

Yeah, but it makes sense in a way. I imagine a lot of people want to try something new, but the fact that sequels and remakes make them so much more money (and are far safer) gives them little incentive to be adventurous. Remember that for every breakthrough new IP like Borderlands, there are plenty that fade into obscurity.

DemonDog666 posted...
Um ps3 also has demon souls, infamous, Valkyria Chronicles, Tokyo Jungle, MAG, Journey, Motorstorm, Heavy Rain, Folklore ect. not to mention multiplats like cathrine, batman AA and mirror's edge, and those are just games that aren't sequels, twisted metal and x-com enemy unknown certainly aren't rehashes in any way.

If you'd read the first post properly, you'd see that I said "the top 25 best selling games". Sure, they're all new ideas, but they aren't top 25. The Wii had plenty of new IPs that didn't hit top 25 either. There are plenty of games that aren't 'rehashes' on the Wii that get labelled as such too. Given that the term 'rehash' is overused (much like 'hardcore gamer'), and people will have conflicting opinions on whether something is a rehash or not, it's easier to look at sequels.

Mario has been in a lot of games; very few people would try to dispute that. But Mario Kart is completely different to NSMB, which is completely different to the 3D Mario games, which are completely different to the Mario sports games, and so on. Each of these branches of Mario games also improve upon the previous iterations, much in the same way any sequel would. This may be hard for you to understand, but something that is both a sequel and a game you're not interested in isn't necessarily a rehash. There is enough new between the games to justify an extra purchase.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#22DemonDog666Posted 4/19/2013 7:36:54 AM(edited)
digiblaster posted...
If you'd read the first post properly, you'd see that I said "the top 25 best selling games". Sure, they're all new ideas, but they aren't top 25. The Wii had plenty of new IPs that didn't hit top 25 either. There are plenty of games that aren't 'rehashes' on the Wii that get labelled as such too. Given that the term 'rehash' is overused (much like 'hardcore gamer'), and people will have conflicting opinions on whether something is a rehash or not, it's easier to look at sequels.

Mario has been in a lot of games; very few people would try to dispute that. But Mario Kart is completely different to NSMB, which is completely different to the 3D Mario games, which are completely different to the Mario sports games, and so on. Each of these branches of Mario games also improve upon the previous iterations, much in the same way any sequel would. This may be hard for you to understand, but something that is both a sequel and a game you're not interested in isn't necessarily a rehash. There is enough new between the games to justify an extra purchase.

Most games on the wii labeled as rehashes are rehashes and Nintendo fanboys lash out by calling everything that is a sequel a rehash.

The branches are different but that doesn't mean they aren't rehashes mario kart has improved very little since 64... and whoring out a mascot might not make a game a rehash but it's still an issue in it's own right. I'm sorry but aside from the main mario branch I just don't see enough evolution in the games to justify buying any of them that were on the n64 pretty much, I mean most series make more changes/evolutions in 1 sequel then Nintendo series have in generations.

Granted I did miss the top selling 25 but I think that's skewed just on how many COD games there are, I mean COD pretty much hogs the top 10 with it's crap, and publishers advertise old franchises more then new IPs, I think entire library is more important then top 25.
#23digiblaster(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 7:48:21 AM
DemonDog666 posted...
digiblaster posted...

Most games on the wii labeled as rehashes are rehashes and Nintendo fanboys lash out by calling everything that is a sequel a rehash.

The branches are different but that doesn't mean they aren't rehashes mario kart has improved very little since 64... and whoring out a mascot might not make a game a rehash but it's still an issue in it's own right. I'm sorry but aside from the main mario branch I just don't see enough evolution in the games to justify buying any of them that were on the n64 pretty much, I mean most series make more changes/evolutions in 1 sequel then Nintendo series have in generations.

Granted I did miss the top selling 25 but I think that's skewed just on how many COD games there are, I mean COD pretty much hogs the top 10 with it's crap, and publishers advertise old franchises more then new IPs, I think entire library is more important then top 25.

Obviously there are far more games but I didn't have time to go through them all. The point I'm making though is that there are a number of new ideas on each console, but the vast majority of content you'll find are sequels and/or remakes.

The thing that pretty much sums this up was when you said "aside from the main mario branch I just don't see enough evolution in the games to justify buying any of them". It's all opinion; the entire industry is based on opinion. I personally don't see there being enough new content between CoD iterations to buy them yearly, but I'll get one every two or three years. On the other hand, I think there's enough changing between iterations of Mario games that I can justify the purchase.

The entire console war is ridiculous. It's all opinion. And the reason that people perceive Nintendo as releasing more rehashes than the other companies is that they don't like Nintendo games in the first place. The sooner people can come to terms with that, and realise that all three console makers are as guilty of things like this as each other, the sooner we can just get on with playing games.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#24GadZooks1357Posted 4/19/2013 7:53:10 AM
Jobocan posted...
Oni_Taedo posted...
DemonDog666 posted...
msunshine posted...
X-com is the very definition of a rehash.

Learn to check facts.

No nsmb is the definition of a rehash. X-com enemy unknown is very different from the originals.

I won't comment on X-Com, as it's in first-person, which instantly means it has little to no redeeming qualities, so no matter what good it does have, it doesn't matter, because the game keeps insisting that I'm in the lead role, when I'm very well aware that I'm just a bloke holding a doohickey that is linked to the center part of the main characters brain, and will force him to start singing songs from old Disney movies in Elvish, if he disobeys my commands.

The latest X-Com isn't a first-person game, it's a top-down turn-based strategy game. Derp.

I think he's referring to the first unveiled X-Com game, an FPS so generic that it pissed off so many fans of the original that they put it on hold to create a real X-Com game.
#25JobocanPosted 4/19/2013 8:03:10 AM
GadZooks1357 posted...
Jobocan posted...

The latest X-Com isn't a first-person game, it's a top-down turn-based strategy game. Derp.

I think he's referring to the first unveiled X-Com game, an FPS so generic that it pissed off so many fans of the original that they put it on hold to create a real X-Com game.

Not sure why he'd be commenting like that about a game that was never released and might never come out anyways.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#26FayeLadyPosted 4/19/2013 8:04:00 AM
Of course everyone does rehashes, Nintendo is just the worst offender in my book. Square, Sega, Activision, Capcom, Midway, Data EAST, Taito, SNK and others tend to make their backlog available far more often for far cheaper prices. 8 dollars an SNES rom is unacceptable when 20 dollars buys me a physical disc with a dozen games from many of the latter.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#27DemonDog666Posted 4/19/2013 8:08:12 AM
digiblaster posted...
Obviously there are far more games but I didn't have time to go through them all. The point I'm making though is that there are a number of new ideas on each console, but the vast majority of content you'll find are sequels and/or remakes.

The thing that pretty much sums this up was when you said "aside from the main mario branch I just don't see enough evolution in the games to justify buying any of them". It's all opinion; the entire industry is based on opinion. I personally don't see there being enough new content between CoD iterations to buy them yearly, but I'll get one every two or three years. On the other hand, I think there's enough changing between iterations of Mario games that I can justify the purchase.

The entire console war is ridiculous. It's all opinion. And the reason that people perceive Nintendo as releasing more rehashes than the other companies is that they don't like Nintendo games in the first place. The sooner people can come to terms with that, and realise that all three console makers are as guilty of things like this as each other, the sooner we can just get on with playing games.

While it may be entirely up to the person on how much evolution justifies a buy most games changing more in a single sequel then most Nintendo games have since n64 is true, and I also agree COD is rehashed alot too but the majority of games on ps3/360 aren't call of duty (though if you count clones there is alot...) like I said just looking at the top 25 really skews the results.

That's actually not true at all, I loved those games on n64, but since n64 they have done what? I mean really the games change so little and they hardly ever have new IPs and when they do they don't back them, over half of Sony's first party games on the ps3 were new IPs this gen and like I pointed out before Twisted Metal was massively different with a focus on multiplayer. Yes they are all 3 guilty of doing it but the fact of the matter is Nintendo does it more alot more.

GadZooks1357 posted...
Jobocan posted...
Oni_Taedo posted...
DemonDog666 posted...
No nsmb is the definition of a rehash. X-com enemy unknown is very different from the originals.

I won't comment on X-Com, as it's in first-person, which instantly means it has little to no redeeming qualities, so no matter what good it does have, it doesn't matter, because the game keeps insisting that I'm in the lead role, when I'm very well aware that I'm just a bloke holding a doohickey that is linked to the center part of the main characters brain, and will force him to start singing songs from old Disney movies in Elvish, if he disobeys my commands.

Seriously I made sure to type enemy unknown just to avoid this confusion lol.
#28Schwepps01Posted 4/19/2013 8:54:38 PM
But this could also be a plus point. Mario games are big, and they sell well. The fact that they're Nintendo only means that no other consoles have them, thus their hardware has a USP. It's also worth mentioning that Nintendo will always have a stream of games for their own consoles, whereas Sony and Microsoft are depending on other companies games for them.

While I agree slightly, Sony has also been better with first party games recently. Plus, having all games coming from one source doesn't sit well with me, because a lot of times they'll share a common motif. Not necessarily a bad thing since Nintendo still has variety. I appreciate you debating with me respectfully, you are probably the first person to create a post without insulting, childish fighting, or any sort of aggression, rather giving me substance.
---
#29GoombaXPosted 4/19/2013 9:01:10 PM
oh wow, i dont think i have ever seen Schwepps look so ignorant before. Id say the same for doggy but that pup definitely has way more ignorant posts then the ones here.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#30msunshinePosted 4/19/2013 10:52:47 PM
There is more variety in super mario galaxy 2 than in sony's entire library.
---
Current playthrough: 95stars. Demondog pulls numbers and facts out of his ***.