Why is Wii U software selling so poorly?

#21Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 6:53:19 AM
I'm afraid I'm going to run outta room!

Oh the perils of obsessing over people online.

Fair enough, but they still fled. But once PS3 picked up? They begged to be let back on. I'd like to think 3rd parties are not so biased as the trolls of this site that they'll refuse to put games on Wii U once it gets a large enough install base.

Even when the wii u's install base picks up why would third parties change? Their games still wont sell. Look at the wii's top selling games. All first party games sprinkled with a bunch of casual third party games and RE4 is in there somewhere at around a relatively small 2 million copies sold. Core third party games don't really sell well on nintendo home consoles (with a few exceptions) as the wii, N64, and Gamecube have proven.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#22Sailor GoonPosted 4/19/2013 6:56:27 AM
Why is software selling so poorly? The answer is obvious:

Nintendo is doing nothing to push out first party titles. People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Right now, all the WiiU has is a bunch of third party title games that people can get for cheaper and that run better on other systems. Why should anyone buy a new system to play Assassin's Creed 3, when they already own a 360 or PS3 and can get the game there for 2/3 the price?
---
"A laptop is a handheld console" - LOL_FAQ
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#23FayeLadyPosted 4/19/2013 6:59:17 AM
That is a good way to go out of business. You can't expect a company to pour even more resources into an original game for a system that is hardly a hit with its own fanbase. The ports may not sell well, but they arent going to cost much to prepare or market.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#24Baha05Posted 4/19/2013 7:29:21 AM
FayeLady posted...
That is a good way to go out of business. You can't expect a company to pour even more resources into an original game for a system that is hardly a hit with its own fanbase. The ports may not sell well, but they arent going to cost much to prepare or market.

But the ports still cost money. Besides maybe making original games might ohh I don't know, push sales? Even just the act of saying they are going to create and original game could spark interests instead if porting a year old game
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#25FayeLadyPosted 4/19/2013 9:10:12 AM
Baha05 posted...
FayeLady posted...

But the ports still cost money. Besides maybe making original games might ohh I don't know, push sales? Even just the act of saying they are going to create and original game could spark interests instead if porting a year old game

No third party has a vested interest in how well the hardware does, they are only there to take advantage of how many have sold after the fact. Pushing exclusives that sell hardware is Nintendo's job.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#26The_Shadow_LinkPosted 4/19/2013 9:20:00 AM
Nintendo fans be clingy and only every buying the same game over and over again instead of trying out something new for once. Why else is New Super Mario Bros U the only game that has sold well on the console?

And those that have grown up and tried other things are buying games on other consoles as there is a far greater variety of games to chose from. And this is a significant number considering NSMBU has only sold around 10% of what the wii version did in the same time-frame.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#27chestershadowPosted 4/19/2013 9:23:57 AM
Megagunstarman posted...
because nintendo fans grew up and moved on to mature games like gta and killzone

Except the last entry in both of those series each sucked. How you go from gta:sa to the utter crap that was 4 is beyond me...
#28Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 9:41:23 AM
No third party has a vested interest in how well the hardware does, they are only there to take advantage of how many have sold after the fact. Pushing exclusives that sell hardware is Nintendo's job.

Exactly. This is why it is puzzling to see Nintendo just sit on their ass and leave it up to third parties to move consoles. That is horrible logic. Nintendo needs to release a system seller to move consoles, and those new wii u owners will in turn buy third party games. I don't see why nintendo neglected to grasp this concept.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#29GoombaXPosted 4/19/2013 9:46:23 AM
Finally an entertaining topic, there's been a lot of crap troll ones here lately (mostly due to the nintendo direct and but hurt sony ponies).
but on topic, whats the ratio between consoles sold and software sold? Maybe it isnt selling poorly at all. Course it may be selling horrendously as well.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#30rancidpnxPosted 4/19/2013 9:52:34 AM
I personally wish Nintendo would drop out of the home console market altogether and focus their resources on their hand held systems. To me, that is where Nintendo is at it's best.