Maybe The Earthbound Delay Wasn't Really For Music Licensing Issues

#1P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 4/19/2013 11:00:27 AM
For quite a few years now, people have theorized that Nintendo would never re-release Earthbound in the United States because of licensing issues: the quirky RPG takes music from Chuck Berry and The Beatles, among other artists.

Holy Crap! Earthbound Is Coming To The North America Virtual Console In 2013
FINALLY. Nintendo is bringing the beloved RPG Earthbound to the Wii U's Virtual Console this… Read…
But! Earlier this week, Nintendo announced plans to finally bring their Super Nintendo classic to the Wii U's Virtual Console. So we asked Nintendo director of product marketing Bill Trinen: was the music an issue?

"Not that I'm aware of," Trinen told Kotaku's Kirk Hamilton during an interview in San Francisco on Wednesday.

"So it'll be the same soundtrack as the original game?" Kirk asked.

"Yeah, I mean, they're taking the original game and putting it on Wii U," Trinen said.

The Many Samples and Sound-Alikes of Earthbound
Few games boast soundtracks as bizarre and innovative as EarthboundRead…
So maybe those licensing issues weren't actually issues, or maybe Nintendo doesn't think Earthbound's samples are significant enough to draw any legal ire. Either way, this is exciting not just because people in North America and Europe will get the chance to play Earthbound legally without spending thousands on eBay, but because this is just about the first time in two decades that Nintendo of America has actually acknowledged that the Mother series exists.

"It just seems like there's a lot of Earthbound supporters inside of Nintendo and inside of Nintendo of America," Trinen said, "and there's been a real big desire to try to bring this back for people that have been longing for it for a very long time. And so, we're just really happy that we've been able to do it. And we're gonna do it on Wii U, where it'll… because it's gonna be a Virtual Console game, it'll have its own Earthbound Miiverse community. Which is gonna be, I think, spectacular."

http://kotaku.com/maybe-the-earthbound-delay-wasnt-really-for-music-lice-476434126
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Arkham City, Monster Hunter 3U
#2El_DustinoPosted 4/19/2013 11:11:11 AM
This was a nice topic, thank you. :3

I knew that the music wasn't an issue. :3
---
The two most beautiful words in any language: I forgive.
#3excitebike64Posted 4/19/2013 11:12:44 AM
Without reading the article, something tells me the full truth won't ever be uncovered.

The best theory I have simply is this.

The N64 was still too soon to bother re-releasing. Plus, they screwed up the Earthbound game for the N64.

The Gamecube user base was too small to even bother.

THe Wii user base was actually very big, and so once again deemed unnecessary.

If there was ever a chance to have hype for Earthbound, early WiiU cycle was best. Later, again, people probably would not have cared as much.

Then of course, what about future Earthbound games, as in NEW Earthbound games? Seems like this could be the best reason this is being done. A future, WiiU, Earthbound U.

Would also explain why it's not for the handhelds.
#4P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 11:17:49 AM
Honestly, the series is over. The creator said he will not be making Mother 4 at all, but a remake is not out of the question. As for the N64 game, that was Mother 3 (called Earthbound 64) and they felt it would not be good to jump to 3D with the series so the game was brought to the GBA.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Arkham City, Monster Hunter 3U
#5excitebike64Posted 4/19/2013 11:23:33 AM
I never believe a series is ever 100% over. They may wait till we are dead for Earthbound 4, but I see no real reason to just stop.

About the only time a series is 100% over is when a company goes under, and even then sometimes the rights get sold.

It's all timing and marketing. Hate to say it, but despite how great some video games are, they are all just products for us to consume. Perhaps the best argument on how video games may never be 100% considered art.

True for most modern entertainment. Be it books, movies, TV, comic books, music... just something to consume.
#6excitebike64Posted 4/19/2013 11:24:52 AM
Oh, and the N64 game never panned out b/c Itoi admitted he had no understanding of 3D.

Apparently the game was buggy all the time or something.
#7El_DustinoPosted 4/19/2013 11:40:34 AM
Also, all Itoi said was that he will not be involved in Mother 4, but he would not mind if one was made, if I recall.
---
The two most beautiful words in any language: I forgive.
#8IokuaPosted 4/19/2013 11:42:30 AM
The music licensing reason was always a rumor, there was never anything to substantiate it, it just made sense. The primary reason we never got it is likely due to how poorly the original game sold outside of Japan.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#9FFXIgaiaknightPosted 4/19/2013 11:44:22 AM(edited)
shame we will never get mother 3 in the states its IMO the best game in series it was one of the few video games that has ever made me feel emotion for the game characters.
---
http://www.club1kjho.com
NNI: Gaiaknight
#10DTY3Posted 4/19/2013 11:51:13 AM
For Christ sake, like I've been saying for years:

OF COURSE THE MUSIC ISN't AN ISSUE. Have you people NEVER heard of ALLUSIONS? Or SAMPLING?

Mother fanboys are cool sometimes, but that copyright claims they spouted were embarrassing.
Earthbound isn't the only game to have a song that kinda sorta sounds like another song.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.