Wii console killed Nintendo's Image, Made them kiddy ,killed off hardcore gamers

#51TheBonfiniPosted 4/22/2013 3:44:42 PM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
TheBonfini posted...
Lefty128k posted...
TheBonfini posted...
Nintendo has never been that hardcore. It's the lack of 3rd party games that is making it seem like that. Back when SNES and NES got a majority of the 3rd party game it was the hardcore system as well as casual.

Yup, they lost it all to Sony during N64/PS1.

Haven't bothered to get it back, and why would they?
By making third party games scarce, they drive up the demand for their exclusives. Less choice for consumers, but more money for Nintendo.

Yup. I can't think of a singular Nintendo game that has mature themes or even an M rating. If you enjoy Nintendo exclusively you are content experiencing the same emotions you did as a child and are happy with that. Who doesn't like reliving their childhood? Violence and mature themes can be left to people who pretend to be adults.

Mature themes in Nintendo games? OK

Kid Icarus: Uprising - All that talk about people dying and eating souls? Doesn't sound kiddy to me.

Zelda - the series in general is about comming of age and giving up the past to move foward into the future.

Fire Emblem - Permadeath, nuff said

Metroid - All that creepy imagery of aliens & feeling of isolation? You know, for kids!

None of those are rated M for Mature.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#52DarkFoxVPosted 4/22/2013 3:47:48 PM(edited)
Sadly had it not been for Nintendo's fear of piracy causing them to make the N64 a Cart based system instead of a CD based console.

Nintendo wouldn't have lost so much of it's 3rd party respect. Heck the N64 might have even won that gen if it was CD based. Since that was really the only thing hurting it out side of the controller. It was already a power house console spec wise compared to the PS1 and more easier to code for then the Saturn.
---
"Legends never die"
#53GoIrish80Posted 4/22/2013 3:48:21 PM
So the Wii killed Nintendo's "image" because it shunned hardcore gamers.

Would these be the same "hardcore gamers" that grew up lovng games like Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, and countless other Nintendo games of that same ilk?

Give me a freaking break.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#54evosthunderPosted 4/22/2013 3:52:56 PM
The image was always there--Wii just made it glaringly obvious.
---
I post on other sites, too. Don't think that's how I spend all of my time.
#55evosthunderPosted 4/22/2013 3:54:56 PM
GoIrish80 posted...
So the Wii killed Nintendo's "image" because it shunned hardcore gamers.

Would these be the same "hardcore gamers" that grew up lovng games like Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, and countless other Nintendo games of that same ilk?

Give me a freaking break.

Yeah, these people tend to be very elitist. Which isn't surprising in the least.
---
I post on other sites, too. Don't think that's how I spend all of my time.
#56TheMisterManGuyPosted 4/22/2013 4:00:34 PM
TheBonfini posted...
TheMisterManGuy posted...
TheBonfini posted...
Lefty128k posted...
TheBonfini posted...
Nintendo has never been that hardcore. It's the lack of 3rd party games that is making it seem like that. Back when SNES and NES got a majority of the 3rd party game it was the hardcore system as well as casual.

Yup, they lost it all to Sony during N64/PS1.

Haven't bothered to get it back, and why would they?
By making third party games scarce, they drive up the demand for their exclusives. Less choice for consumers, but more money for Nintendo.

Yup. I can't think of a singular Nintendo game that has mature themes or even an M rating. If you enjoy Nintendo exclusively you are content experiencing the same emotions you did as a child and are happy with that. Who doesn't like reliving their childhood? Violence and mature themes can be left to people who pretend to be adults.

Mature themes in Nintendo games? OK

Kid Icarus: Uprising - All that talk about people dying and eating souls? Doesn't sound kiddy to me.

Zelda - the series in general is about comming of age and giving up the past to move foward into the future.

Fire Emblem - Permadeath, nuff said

Metroid - All that creepy imagery of aliens & feeling of isolation? You know, for kids!

None of those are rated M for Mature.

So a game needs an M rating to be mature? Right.... All of the games I listed aren't really "adult" except for Metroid, but they aren't kiddy either. Kiddy mean a shallow game with no depth and has almost nothing to keep older gamers attention. Family-friendly simply means a game that's ok to play when say your mom, or little sister is arround. They have nothing that's really offensive or too suggestive, But have content and gameplay that can appeal to older gamers. Nintendo is Family-Friendly, not Kiddy.
---
In a gaming world filled with chaos & fanboyism, I try to be the voice that guides people to the truth.
#57tiamat999Posted 4/22/2013 4:13:04 PM
Lefty128k posted...
UponADarkThorne posted...
Lefty128k posted...
I went through 3 gens with Mario before I gave up. N64 was the last hope to see some kind of real change in the character...all they did was go 3D.

Conker's was an interesting effort at appealing to adults. Too bad Nintendo couldn't see it through with other non-kiddy projects from other devs.

Maybe someday Nintendo will catch up to it's original audience and produce something that a 30-something would find completely appealing. Side-scrolling Mario and some remade Zelda games aren't gonna get it done.

I am Nintendo's original audience, as far back as the NES.

I enjoy side-scrolling Mario games and am looking forward to the new Zelda.

For the record, I'm also looking forward to Wasteland 2, Project: Eternity, Shadowrun Returns and the new Torment game - because those games are all doing what Nintendo does; look at what made past games ****ing great and turn that into a more modern experience rather than try to do some vain attempt at making video games deep while forgetting that they're suppose to be fun, first and foremost.

Well, my status goes prior to NES. I started on Famicom and kit-built PC's before that.

I don't really care about what games you like.

Nintendo is making games as cheaply as possible. Why make a new Zelda? Remake. Why launch with 3D Mario? Side-scroll.

Fun is subjective. Some people have fun watching keys get jingled, some have fun reading War and Peace.

I don't have fun playing the video game equivalent of Barrel of Monkeys or Mouse Trap anymore. You derive fun from such superficial efforts, that's fine. Some of us need deeper waters in which to swim.

please tell me you dont consider halo, cod, grand theft auto, these adult games

and you your not manly by saying nintendos outgrew you real men arent afraid to play kid friendly games
---
favorite animated shows the Venture bros, gargoyles, justice league, avengers EMH, super robot wars og the inspector, young justice, avengers assemble, ragnarok
#58_Sovereign_Posted 4/22/2013 4:15:42 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
Nintendo has never been hardcore. Nintendo has always been Nintendo.

Everything about the Topic is incorrect. ^This statement is fact.

Nintendo has always been Nintendo
Kiddy games are on Leap Frog systems and the like
And "hardcore" gamers ( as most define) are a bane on gamings existence.

Whatever happened to just playing games for fun and seeing what is around the next corner?
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#59Lefty128kPosted 4/22/2013 4:52:35 PM
UponADarkThorne posted...
You're sounding an awful lot like those kids in the 90's who went to my school and talked crap about the kids who enjoyed Marvel or DC comics, because Image was "grown up" because it had blood and the occasional swear word.

I mean, Conker's? When I think of "mature" games, I think of Planescape: Torment, the first Fallout, or even the Witcher series - not a game with a cartoon squirrel that drops f-bombs with a focus on toilet humor.

I enjoy depth in games and quite a few of the games are "deep". The games I mentioned that I'm looking forward to are all "deep". The problem is most of the **** released on consoles reminds me Image comics (and comics in general) in the 90's; all style, no substance. Their is nothing more inherently "grown up" about God of War over Legend of Zelda or even Mario.

Not to mention, it's possible to enjoy "kiddie" games and "adult" games.

I love Marvel. My favorite comic company.

I said Conker's was an interesting interesting effort at appealing to adults, I didn't say it was mature.

The themes and stories presented in other games are leaps and bounds more mature and fleshed-out than Zelda or Mario.

Yes, it is possible for some to derive pleasure from both.....some.
#60Lefty128kPosted 4/22/2013 5:17:52 PM
tiamat999 posted...
please tell me you dont consider halo, cod, grand theft auto, these adult games

and you your not manly by saying nintendos outgrew you real men arent afraid to play kid friendly games

CoD and GTA are aimed squarely at older players. Halo, kind of blurs the line. Scifi always does.

I didn't say I was "manly" for outgrowing Nintendo games. I'm bored with them and need my entertainment to be more complex than Nintendo can offer.

I didn't say I was scared to play them either, Troll.