I've never played Earthbound. What's so great about it?

#1Scarecrow1711Posted 4/19/2013 5:45:48 PM
The only reason why I know it exists is because of Super Smash Bros.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NX_vcjZmQ9w
#2NejiHyuga900Posted 4/19/2013 5:52:37 PM
From: Scarecrow1711 | Posted: 4/19/2013 9:45:48 PM | #001
The only reason why I know it exists is because of Super Smash Bros.

Same here. Well, I am going to buy it from the eShop on Day 1 when the game is released on Wii U Virtual Console so I can see what it is like for myself.
---
Xbox/Windows LIVE Gamertag & Nintendo Network ID: TDPNeji | Steam ID: NejiHyuga900
I am a thunder dragon. Hear me roar thunder and breath out lightning!
#3Peachrules14Posted 4/19/2013 5:56:02 PM
It's really hard to explain. I played it because of all of the rave reviews I heard about it and I'm so glad I did. It was an extremely charming, feel good game with memorable characters and funny scenarios. It was quirky, bright, colorful, enjoyable, and I enjoyed every minute. The soundtrack was amazing. The plot is much deeper than most seem to understand. I love this game.
---
SSBB: 4940-5108-0974
#4SocranPosted 4/19/2013 6:22:27 PM
It's not really the greatest thing ever, but it is most definitely unique. It's incredibly quirky and silly, which is particularly noticeable back in the SNES days when epic fantasy RPGs were becoming a big thing. You fight enemies like Spiteful Crows wearing sunglasses and New Age Retro Hippies whose battle theme is a ripoff of Johnny B. Goode. A lot of the references in the game were incredibly retro even for the time it was released, with a Beatles-like band having a prominent role, and the "mascot enemy" being an alien in a spacesuit remniscent of comic strips from the 50s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtBGuENUoI0
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#5DTY3Posted 4/19/2013 6:24:25 PM
Sense of humor, characters (but not tha main ones, they are cardboard pretty much), fun simple battle system, great story for a Nintendo game, funny enemies, good music, great world, no Overworls/world map, no random encounters, just a unique one of a kind experince.

Also it's set in modern America. Well 90's America.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#6DTY3Posted 4/19/2013 6:25:48 PM
Socran posted...
with a Beatles-like band having a prominent role,

Blues Brothers, dude.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#7NyyarkPosted 4/19/2013 6:28:34 PM
Its quirky and has a lot of charm, with a killer soundtrack and NPC dialogue that changes with the whole story line and how many times you talk to them.

I hope people can like it, many of the things that made it good back then have been done sense, aside from the setting.
#821_21Posted 4/19/2013 6:33:13 PM
Play the game and find out.
---
Currently playing:
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked and Scribblenauts Unlimited
#9Beatperson14Posted 4/19/2013 6:41:07 PM
Nothing. It's a lackluster RPG. It was just a cult classic that was ignored and everyone blamed Nintendo for keeping it on the backburner everywhere but Japan.
#10IlluminoiusPosted 4/19/2013 6:58:08 PM
Beatperson14 posted...
Nothing. It's a lackluster RPG. It was just a cult classic that was ignored and everyone blamed Nintendo for keeping it on the backburner everywhere but Japan.