Earthbound on WiiU has evolved to people supporting piracy.

#31The_DOAMPosted 4/20/2013 2:54:28 PM
Completely Impossible to have any sort of discussion on this topic. In fact looking over this topic at the sheer amount of moderation's maybe this was the original intention of the poster and this topic is nothing but a farce. Moving rather quickly with the moderation and the topic of piracy is obviously a trap.
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#32zinsindettaPosted 4/20/2013 3:06:28 PM
Hawke0 posted...
ShadowSkill11 posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
9/10 of the people claiming they will just get the ROM will never do so and have probably never played the game/s to begin with.

99% of people spouting statistics are pulling them straight out of their 4th point of contact. Much like a Fox News talking head.

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

This is 100% accurate
---
Gamertag/PSN - http://gamercards.exophase.com/31441.png
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=SinZinDetta
#33excitebike64(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 3:10:00 PM
CranberryPSO posted...
Look, if you don't agree with me that's fine. But you don't need to go and have me moderated over it. I mean for one thing my post was not even in support of pirating, it was against it. But yeah, I had the audacity to mention certain obscure Zelda games that can't be purchased new or used anywhere. That was the tiniest of TOS violations, so getting me moderated over that was rather extreme.

I'm a civil woman. I'm not going to bite your head off if you don't agree with my opinion.

Just so you know, I never call anyone out to be moderated.
Does make me curious who did. Kind of odd it violated the TOS, but I've had some odd moderations lately myself.

Most with no karma loss, so I don't care.
I vaguely recall them doing something weird with Zelda. Might look into it on... wikipedia!!! Since once again... I don't emulate... moderators... whoever you are. lol
#34excitebike64(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 3:12:58 PM
The_DOAM posted...
Completely Impossible to have any sort of discussion on this topic. In fact looking over this topic at the sheer amount of moderation's maybe this was the original intention of the poster and this topic is nothing but a farce. Moving rather quickly with the moderation and the topic of piracy is obviously a trap.

Not meant to be a trap. But apparently wording is very important.

I found nothing posted wrong myself, but whatever.

Just think stating Earthbound can be emulated is a lame argument to say it's not a big deal that Earthbound is coming back to the US and for the first time to Europe. It's a big deal, and hope it means more Earthbound material to come... more than likely next year, but whatever.
#35CranberryPSOPosted 4/20/2013 3:15:57 PM
I'm glad it wasn't you. Someone certainly went trigger happy with the moderation reports in this topic though. I do not pirate either.

excitebike64 posted...
CranberryPSO posted...
Look, if you don't agree with me that's fine. But you don't need to go and have me moderated over it. I mean for one thing my post was not even in support of pirating, it was against it. But yeah, I had the audacity to mention certain obscure Zelda games that can't be purchased new or used anywhere. That was the tiniest of TOS violations, so getting me moderated over that was rather extreme.

I'm a civil woman. I'm not going to bite your head off if you don't agree with my opinion.

Just so you know, I never call anyone out to be moderated.
Does make me curious who did. Kind of odd it violated the TOS, but I've had some odd moderations lately myself.

Most with no karma loss, so I don't care.
I vaguely recall them doing something weird with Zelda. Might look into it on... wikipedia!!! Since once again... I don't emulate... moderators... whoever you are. lol

---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#36excitebike64(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 3:19:04 PM
bh7812 posted...
Quote:For me personally, I don't emulate. I did over ten years ago, briefly, but it just was not the same.

I have two roms on NES carts. One is a fan game. The other probably is not legal, but technically I'm also not emulating.

Emulating is like buying a machine that makes moonshine. It's legal, but what most people do with it is not legal.

@excitebike64

Okay, here's how I feel about this whole to pirate or not nonsense: with current games, PS3, 360, DS, Wii-don't do it. PS3 isn't practical due to the sizes of those games. In any of
those current gen examples all of the games are easily available physically so people need to quit it with all current gen stuff.

I would say from PS1 and earlier I don't see why not. Face it folks, a lot of those pubs from the ps1 days and earlier no longer exist. In many cases literally no one knows who has the current rights to the lesser known games. The companies aren't making or losing money on those far earlier releases. Certainly from SNES/NES on back I see no issue with. That far back there isn't any money being made at all on that stuff. Capcom, Konami and company aren't gonna give a damn where or how you buy those cartridges physically. Even those pubs aren't making money on their old NES games unless they're on virtual console. Especially in the case of the NES, the current rights of many lesser known games are very gray at best. In a lot of cases we simply don't know who owns what due to company closings, other companies buying the rights etc. still other cases some current pubs own the rights to some of those games and don't even know it! There is also the issue of rare games from that far back that cost an arm and a leg to buy physically. With that area there's a lot of gray area but generally I'd say ok to NES and earlier,

TV shows are a whole different gray area that I won't get into since its too messy to even talk about it,

So, current gen don't even do it. PS1 I'd say you need to decide for yourself. SNES and NES I'm not seeing issues with at this point.

Ten years ago, this might have made sense. But you have to admit, with more and more games needed for digital store fronts, you really can't defend this argument very easily anymore.

I recall at one time Atari as a company stating emulating all their games was okay, but then that also meant nothing later since then later others involved complained and basically said , "NO, you can't emulate my game, no matter what Atari said."

US is the most strict. And it's funny, since many in the US don't realize this.

The old argument, you own it, you can copy it... is not really true here. But many think it is. Personally, on the one hand a supreme court case on this would be nice, but I also fear it because they could side with the corporations and that would suck even more than this cloudy mess that is in the US.
#37Awesomely Awesome AJPosted 4/20/2013 3:30:39 PM
ShadowSkill11 posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
ShadowSkill11 posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
9/10 of the people claiming they will just get the ROM will never do so and have probably never played the game/s to begin with.

99% of people spouting statistics are pulling them straight out of their 4th point of contact. Much like a Fox News talking head.

Except my assessment is most likely accurate. To give the benefit of the doubt I'll drop it to 8/10 if it makes you happy.

Point being the kids on this board have no interest in a game they didn't grow up with (with a few exceptions as there are gamers who do enjoy classic gaming) and will blow hot air to make fans of the game mad.

8 of 9 dentists would agree with your so called assessment.

YOU BASTARD!!! I came in here to make that joke
---
3DS 1160-9716-6904 Gamer Tag: AwesomeAJ x8
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/heaven.gif?w=504&h=285
#38FayeLadyPosted 4/20/2013 3:30:57 PM
excitebike64 posted...

Ten years ago, this might have made sense. But you have to admit, with more and more games needed for digital store fronts, you really can't defend this argument very easily anymore.

I recall at one time Atari as a company stating emulating all their games was okay, but then that also meant nothing later since then later others involved complained and basically said , "NO, you can't emulate my game, no matter what Atari said."

The old argument, you own it, you can copy it... is not really true here. But many think it is. Personally, on the one hand a supreme court case on this would be nice, but I also fear it because they could side with the corporations and that would suck even more than this cloudy mess that is in the US.

You really still can, now more than ever.
A copy of Sonic Jam on the Saturn might make do in place of Sonic 2 on the genesis because both are physical. You can borrow, lend, or sell it like you can any other property. You can use it on any compatible hardware the world over.

A VC game gives you none of this. You can use it on the hardware Nintendo allows, when they allow it, as long as they allow it. Even a rom of Sonic 2, while not being worth any more than the VC game, allows you to run it on anything capable of decoding it.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#39excitebike64(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 3:32:45 PM
FayeLady posted...
excitebike64 posted...

A copy of Sonic Jam on the Saturn might make do in place of Sonic 2 on the genesis because both are physical. You can borrow, lend, or sell it like you can any other property. You can use it on any compatible hardware the world over.

A VC game gives you none of this. You can use it on the hardware Nintendo allows, when they allow it, as long as they allow it. Even a rom of Sonic 2, while not being worth any more than the VC game, allows you to run it on anything capable of decoding it.

Legally, you can sell. But legally you can't copy. And if corporations had their way, we could not resell the games either. They gave up that battle at least.
#40FayeLadyPosted 4/20/2013 3:48:06 PM(edited)
excitebike64 posted...
FayeLady posted...
excitebike64 posted...

Legally, you can sell. But legally you can't copy. And if corporations had their way, we could not resell the games either. They gave up that battle at least.

Legally, I can't sell a VC copy of Sonic 2 any more than I can Sell a rom of it. The VC is basically the same thing as the rom, only wrapped up in DRM and packaged with a limited use license.

I could drop dead in an hour and I couldn't leave a VC game to an heir. I can leave a physical game, and I can leave the contents of a HDD.

Since Nintendo uses a private currency, I technically might not have even paid for any of the VC games. Who knows. (Winternova would know for sure)
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.