As much as I hate it, I can't blame 3rd party companies for skipping Wii U

#41P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 4/21/2013 3:14:40 AM
FayeLady posted...
digiblaster posted...
gecko_man2 posted...
digiblaster posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
*Nintendo gives Third Parties a chance to shine*
*Third Parties blame Nintendo for their games not selling and console sales being slow*
*Nintendo releases big games to increase console sales*
*Third Parties complain that they can't compete with Nintendo's sales*

Rinse, and repeat.

This.

They were given a golden opportunity during the launch window to make us want to buy third party games. Instead, we got a bunch of lazy ports, some of which were games that came out months beforehand, and somehow Nintendo and the fans are to blame.

Don't get me wrong, they weren't all lazy ports - Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed was pretty solid, and CoD felt like it would have on 360/PS3 (with the exception of the lack of players), but if they really wanted to sell games on the Wii U, they needed to release something that people hadn't already played before.

Yeah blame the developers, im sure it has nothing to do with them focusing on systems people give a crap about.

Well yeah, they are to blame. Given the choice between buying a game on release day, or waiting six months for a (generally) worse port on a different console, what are people going to do? They'll get it when it comes out.

The only people to blame are the devs.

Or you blame Nintendo for not making the system suited to making the ports significantly better experiences. Or you blame the devs for not telling Nintendo what they look for in a platform, or blame Nintendo for not asking...

This can go on forever, at the end of the day its no ONE thing. Its a pretty fat list.

The system is suitable for making significantly better ports, however, most devs refused to try to utilize that. Instead, trying to force a square object into a round hole.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Arkham City, Monster Hunter 3U
#42Virus66Posted 4/21/2013 4:03:51 AM
I've done my part to support 3rd party devs when they put forth a reasonable effort for Nintendo. NFSMW? Great game, and better than any other platforms version so I bought it. Seems like literally no one else did. TTT2, MH3U, LCU, ZombiU, Sonic Racing... same story.

The biggest problem with that game is that everyone who REALLY wanted it when it came out, likely bought it for another console. The same thing happened with Mass Effect 3 and will almost certainly happen with Deus Ex. Having ports is not a bad thing, but releasing it months and years after the game originally launched is not a good way to sell your software
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#43digiblasterPosted 4/21/2013 4:22:29 AM
Virus66 posted...
I've done my part to support 3rd party devs when they put forth a reasonable effort for Nintendo. NFSMW? Great game, and better than any other platforms version so I bought it. Seems like literally no one else did. TTT2, MH3U, LCU, ZombiU, Sonic Racing... same story.

The biggest problem with that game is that everyone who REALLY wanted it when it came out, likely bought it for another console. The same thing happened with Mass Effect 3 and will almost certainly happen with Deus Ex. Having ports is not a bad thing, but releasing it months and years after the game originally launched is not a good way to sell your software

This is it. I don't understand how these people that are supposed to be big in the industry can't grasp the idea that the people who wanted the game have already bought it.

Make something new and different, and you'll see sales. Hell, even make a multiplat on the Wii U, but release it at the same time rather than months later.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#44godplaysSNESPosted 4/21/2013 4:28:21 AM
The Wii U isn't selling well, and the hardware doesn't seem to be powerful enough to enable quick and cheap ports
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#45ixoriaPosted 4/21/2013 4:31:04 AM
If I own a 3rd party company I would skip Wii U aswell.
#46FayeLadyPosted 4/21/2013 5:42:30 AM

The system is suitable for making significantly better ports, however, most devs refused to try to utilize that. Instead, trying to force a square object into a round hole.

I would say marginally better ports, certainly not to the extent that a well rounded publisher is going to risk the funds on such an investment.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#47P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 4/21/2013 6:34:55 AM
FayeLady posted...

I would say marginally better ports, certainly not to the extent that a well rounded publisher is going to risk the funds on such an investment.

They have access to better online, better graphics, more data space, and a unique controller to say the least. That alone should be enough for one to make a significantly enhanced game if they try.
---
#48FayeLadyPosted 4/21/2013 6:53:22 AM
FayeLady posted...

They have access to better online, better graphics, more data space, and a unique controller to say the least. That alone should be enough for one to make a significantly enhanced game if they try.

I don't disagree that they have the resources to make it significantly different, but that hardly means better. In many situations, even making the game "different", is going to cost more money than would make since considering projected return on investment.

Consider Mass Effect 3, since it seems to be the poster child.Not only does Mass Effect not have fanbase on Wii U, but Bioware has no fanbase on Nintendo consoles, so they put out a feeler. Several year ago they did something similar with Mass Effect 2 on the PS3, and clearly it did well enough to consider porting the entire series. Now im sure people had complaints about it being old, or not having enough content, or not taking full advantage of the PS3. At the end of the day, as long as it was profitable, non of this matters.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#49P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 4/21/2013 7:15:33 AM(edited)
FayeLady posted...
FayeLady posted...

I don't disagree that they have the resources to make it significantly different, but that hardly means better. In many situations, even making the game "different", is going to cost more money than would make since considering projected return on investment.

Consider Mass Effect 3, since it seems to be the poster child.Not only does Mass Effect not have fanbase on Wii U, but Bioware has no fanbase on Nintendo consoles, so they put out a feeler. Several year ago they did something similar with Mass Effect 2 on the PS3, and clearly it did well enough to consider porting the entire series. Now im sure people had complaints about it being old, or not having enough content, or not taking full advantage of the PS3. At the end of the day, as long as it was profitable, non of this matters.

I wouldn't consider Mass Effect as "the poster child", especially considering it added next to nothing and ran slightly worse than the 360 version. They also killed any chance ot had by announcing the Trilogy. The only games to really have that kind of effort put into them are Razor's Edge, Need for Speed, Trine 2, and Nano Assault. There are several other games that are better than their multiplat brethren, such as Tekken, but they didn't have the kind of dedication that would warrant a significantly better port.
---
#50WraithX_959Posted 4/21/2013 7:49:14 AM
*Nintendo gives Third Parties a chance to shine*
*Third Parties blame Nintendo for their games not selling and console sales being slow*
*Nintendo releases big games to increase console sales*
*Third Parties complain that they can't compete with Nintendo's sales*

Rinse, and repeat.

This and it's been this way since the N64.