Do you consider the WiiU to be a "Next-Gen" System?

#1gecko_man2Posted 4/20/2013 2:17:47 PM
The reason i ask is this: The WiiU is often held up by its fan base as a next-gen system, but arguably the most popular games on the system (not counting Mario) are ports of "last-gen" games, such as Mass Effect, Batman, etc...And the games that were supposed to be its big launch titles like ZombieU have worse graphics and gameplay than many titles of the "last gen".

And more over, a lot of these ports have issues that the "Last-Gen" version didnt have (frame rate issues and the like). So it makes me wonder, is the WiiU really next gen? Im not trying to troll so dont jump down my throat, i just want to hear the opinions of the fans.
---
"Well maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again. I dont know, I dont know, I dont know, dont think so."
#2twistedreality1Posted 4/20/2013 2:20:37 PM
It's current gen since its out already ;-)
---
360-twistedreality6 PSN-twistedreality1 NNID-twistedreality
#3gecko_man2(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 2:21:37 PM
twistedreality1 posted...
It's current gen since its out already ;-)

Oh you know what i mean you silly goose.
---
"Well maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again. I dont know, I dont know, I dont know, dont think so."
#4Dustof_DryBonesPosted 4/20/2013 2:21:48 PM
gecko_man2 posted...
The reason i ask is this: The WiiU is often held up by its fan base as a next-gen system, but arguably the most popular games on the system (not counting Mario) are ports of "last-gen" games, such as Mass Effect, Batman, etc...And the games that were supposed to be its big launch titles like ZombieU have worse graphics and gameplay than many titles of the "last gen".

And more over, a lot of these ports have issues that the "Last-Gen" version didnt have (frame rate issues and the like). So it makes me wonder, is the WiiU really next gen? Im not trying to troll so dont jump down my throat, i just want to hear the opinions of the fans.

I gather you have no idea how console launches work, right?
---
Ahoy, matey!
#5FayeLadyPosted 4/20/2013 2:22:51 PM
From what stand point? I'm not a third party publisher or a reseller. I'll see Wii U games on the shelf along with PS4 and NextBox games, no its next gen from that point of view. I can See some people considering it like the Dreamcast tho, a console slipped in between generations.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#6SS4_NamreppivPosted 4/20/2013 2:23:18 PM
Every new console releases with 'last gen ports'. It is nothing new, and the PS4/NextBox will not be any different.
---
"I tried one of your dishes once. I truly believed a part of my soul died."~Dunban
#7gecko_man2(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 2:24:44 PM
Dustof_DryBones posted...
gecko_man2 posted...

I gather you have no idea how console launches work, right?

Well seeing as ive seen everyone since the Snes, i have some idea. Care to enlighten me?
---
#8gecko_man2(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 2:25:48 PM
FayeLady posted...
From what stand point? I'm not a third party publisher or a reseller. I'll see Wii U games on the shelf along with PS4 and NextBox games, no its next gen from that point of view. I can See some people considering it like the Dreamcast tho, a console slipped in between generations.

I think the Dreamcast comparison is the most accurate. Hopefully Nintendo wont suffer the same fate as Sega.
---
#9diggyfreshPosted 4/20/2013 2:28:20 PM
I think next-gen has lost all meaning. Technology moves so fast now that next-gen could be the difference between what you had for breakfast and what you have for dinner.
---
Currently playing: Batman AC
#10Dustof_DryBonesPosted 4/20/2013 2:36:10 PM
gecko_man2 posted...
Well seeing as ive seen everyone since the Snes, i have some idea. Care to enlighten me?

Games typically don't tap into the full potential of a console's graphical capabilities until a few years after the console has been launched. In this case, it's even more pronounced seeing as how devs [supposedly] weren't given the finalized development kits until August of 2012 (meaning the launched titles were rushed and did not utilize the system's full potential). Thus, claiming a system isn't next-gen due to the relative performance of its launch titles is a terrible idea.
---
Ahoy, matey!