Is Nintendo screwed if Sony and MS launch with $199 consoles possible....

#21PendragoonPosted 4/20/2013 4:46:32 PM
STN79 posted...
No way is PS4 or Microsoft's next system going to be cheaper or even close to Wii U's price.
I'm guessing at least 100 dollars more. You ain't gettin ultra powerful systems for no 200 dollars kid. That just isn't going to happen.

But they aren't ultra powerful systems...
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#22AkaneJonesPosted 4/20/2013 4:48:16 PM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
So you would have to buy the console and a game and then pay a fee to play the game. And by the time the systems life is over you would have probably paid more than $1000 in subscription fees.

No one would buy that.

Depends how much is an Xbox live gold subscription? People paying for the thing over the entire generation added up. The thing is Microsoft under cutting their Nextbox for $300, then charge what they have been for Xboxlive doesn't sound so mad. They however don't need to be cheaper than WiiU's cheap model, which is why $200 sounds crazy.

WiiU already sells at a loss, if they are throwing in built in kinect, that's already cutting something they sell for $100 out of the price. The hardware is supposed to be better than WiiU, so that's even more money. They would have to pretty sure of themselves to undercut the system that much, when they don't need too.

Also if it's more expensive forced Xboxlive, or has very bogus contracts, the casuals are just going to stick with 360 for the time or jump, to WiiU & PS4. Sony can't possibly follow Microsofts system, it doesn't have the money, and the audience isn't about the move to a subscription model. In fact if they did the 360's aren't going to want to convert. The point is Sony can't take that model, and Microsoft would have to kill the 360 market place to be more expensive and restrictive than it.

The thing is people think always Online means always need Xboxlive. I think that's a bit stupid logic. More likely they console just need to have an Internet connection to run, where Xboxlive is required for playing games online only. Not that some fancy DRM bricks software if you aren't paying Xboxlive, talk about killing any casual market at all.
#23STN79Posted 4/20/2013 5:08:10 PM
@ Pendragoon

I know but everyone seems to think they'll be ultra powerful.
Boy are they in for a surprise.
#24jackorhoadsPosted 4/20/2013 5:09:39 PM
I'd be surprised if the new consoles are any less than $400 tbh.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#25SolisPosted 4/20/2013 5:45:38 PM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
So you would have to buy the console and a game and then pay a fee to play the game. And by the time the systems life is over you would have probably paid more than $1000 in subscription fees.

No one would buy that.

People don't realize how much they spend on services over time. A person that's had Xbox Live Gold since the release of the Xbox 360 would have spent over $400 by now under the annual subscription. Double that price if they were going on a monthly subscription. Having a lower "upfront" cost coupled with a long term subscription is often far more appealing to consumers than the alternative. I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox 360's cost subsidized subscription offer was testing the waters for the release of the next console.

However price has been shown to only have a minor affect on the popularity of a console, at least within a certain range. The worst selling consoles during the 6th generation were the least expensive, for example. And hell, the Wii was STILL outselling the Xbox 360 even when the Xbox 360 was available for cheaper!
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review