People should stop defending Nintendo's decision to make underpowered consoles

#11gecko_man2Posted 4/20/2013 3:17:52 PM
The_DOAM posted...
Not a single developer has mentioned power being the reason why they are not currently making games for the U. The excuses they have been making all have to due with the timing. Once the Wii U install base rises then they will make games. The install base will rise in time with exclusives and Nintendo is basically waiting for the holiday season to release said games. This gen will basically boil down to exclusives.

Thats because they dont want to be mean to nintendo. Read your sig.
---
"Well maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again. I dont know, I dont know, I dont know, dont think so."
#12CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 4/20/2013 3:18:01 PM
SamStone22 posted...
When the other two consoles are released and Nintendo gets its own games out on the Wii U, the third party support will possibly pick up but it won't be all that great compared to the other two. The other two will get the multiplatform games that the Wii U will miss out on due to its lack of power.

Speculation.

Basically the Wii U is just going to be a repeat of the Wii once this gen gets into full swing.

Wouldn't that be nice.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#13El_DustinoPosted 4/20/2013 3:18:57 PM
Honestly, with the way that production costs are shooting up at an amazing rate, it is nice to have something like the Wii or Wii U to provide an avenue for slightly cheaper to make games.
---
The two most beautiful words in any language: I forgive.
#14Wiiplayer111Posted 4/20/2013 3:22:36 PM
Power is becoming less and less important. "Indie" games are becoming more popular through PSN/Eshop/Steam. Studios are closing left and right and even the large ones can't scrape by even though their games are selling 4 million units. Which strangles developers as they can only release safe games without taking risks.

The hunt for power never ends well. But I digress.

The Wii U is getting 3rd party exclusive games, see Bayonetta 2/Lego City/etc.

The Wii U is getting 3rd party games, but not all and there are two reasons for that.

1. The developers got the kits too late.

2. The game would cost too much to port to a small install base. It happens a lot during generation transfers.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#15iKhanicPosted 4/20/2013 3:23:08 PM
SamStone22 posted...
Yeah, we all know that graphics are not everything, but when a system is so weak that it doesn't even get the chance to get 3rd party exclusives or multiplats, something is wrong with it.

You're right. And that's why no one should defend Nintendo if they ever make a console like that again after the Wii (though the Wii was amazingly innovative in their own right). Fortunately, that isn't a problem that plagues the Wii U, since its more powerful than the PS360, and diminishing returns shows that the next console generation won't be a big a jump as the last.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#16SamStone22(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 11:21:22 PM
up
---
I make a topic in Final Fantasy 12 to ask if Tifa! They said no Tifa. Hardness gone!-gandob
#17BdowDELL222Posted 4/20/2013 11:37:54 PM
Have people forgotten that Nintendo's main audience now is the casual crowd? The casual consumer isn't gonna be thinking of who they are supporting for the future of gaming when they buy a Wii or Wii U.
#18ElectricMolePosted 4/20/2013 11:56:37 PM
El_Dustino posted...
Honestly, with the way that production costs are shooting up at an amazing rate, it is nice to have something like the Wii or Wii U to provide an avenue for slightly cheaper to make games.

Thats not true. Developers can make low budget humble-graphic games on the powerful consoles too. And theres tons of proof of that fact already. so there goes the theory that the wii U is the solution to rising game production costs.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#19AstralFrostPosted 4/20/2013 11:58:17 PM
mashu posted...
Misinformed. Third parties are not currently supporting the Wii U due to low console sales and a small-ish install base, leading them to calculate that the costs of a team to develop one of their titles using new and different coding than they are currently used to is currently cost ineffective. They're not entirely wrong on this either. When the Wii U's library is built up a bit more and sales increase some we'll slowly see more third parties come to the platform, but I wouldn't expect too much before next year.

Maybe you missed the part where developers have been quoted saying that the Wii U had a horrible, slow CPU.

http://kotaku.com/5962354/the-wii-u-has-a-horrible-slow-cpu-according-to-these-developers
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#20andrea987Posted 4/21/2013 12:10:20 AM
ElectricMole posted...
El_Dustino posted...

Thats not true. Developers can make low budget humble-graphic games on the powerful consoles too. And theres tons of proof of that fact already. so there goes the theory that the wii U is the solution to rising game production costs.

So why make consoles super powerful, in this case? And that would mean, anyway, that these games will be able to come out on all three consoles, Wii U included.
---
Now playing: Dragon's Dogma, Ni no Kuni, Need for Speed MWU, Fifa 13, Sonic Racing.
Just finished: Batman ACAE, Trine 2 DC.