People should stop defending Nintendo's decision to make underpowered consoles

#21LvthnPosted 4/20/2013 11:14:25 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
I agree.

Personally, I would prefer if Nintendo were to give up the gimmic tactic and just make a Super GameCube.

If it means we get the GC analog back, hell yeah.
#22ElectricMolePosted 4/20/2013 11:21:17 PM(edited)
If nintendo truly believed that software strength was all that really mattered, why must they resort to 're-inventing the wheel' so drastically when nobody is asking them to re-invent it?

The NES had so many wacky and ridiculous peripheral accessories, when all was said and done all we needed was the simple NES control pad to get the job done. :p
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#23deathslovePosted 4/20/2013 11:20:54 PM
R3al1 posted...
SamStone22 posted...
Yeah, we all know that graphics are not everything, but when a system is so weak that it doesn't even get the chance to get 3rd party exclusives or multiplats, something is wrong with it.

The power won't matter as much this gen. It won't be like Wii vs 360. it will be enough to get multiplats, just with downgraded graphics. Liek say, playing on High settings on a PC vs playing at low settings. It will work fine.

In the long run, it might be a good idea since it will make it affordable vs. the competition.

But it is not even getting multiplats from ps3/360? So how will it get PS4/720 multiplats?
#24NeoSamuelPosted 4/20/2013 11:24:23 PM
I would rather have a reasonably priced and less powerful console then an overpowered console that costs way too much.

Anyone remember $599 US Dollars announcement? I remember laughing at the sony fanboys too.

Besides if I want power I have my computer which is more powerful then all the consoles, Glorious PC Gaming Master Race FTW!
---
I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!
#25deathslovePosted 4/20/2013 11:25:42 PM
NeoSamuel posted...
I would rather have a reasonably priced and less powerful console then an overpowered console that costs way too much.

Anyone remember $599 US Dollars announcement? I remember laughing at the sony fanboys too.

Besides if I want power I have my computer which is more powerful then all the consoles, Glorious PC Gaming Master Race FTW!

They were selling it at a loss, how is that overpriced?
Overpriced is selling it for more than it is worth and making a huge profit....Nintendo would never do that....right?
#26DynheartPosted 4/20/2013 11:27:25 PM(edited)
I see noone defending that they make underpowered consoles. No one is going: "Yay! Nintendo made a console that's just above current gen! Good on ya, Nintendo!"

What I do see, however, is people saying that the Wii U isn't going to just outright fail after 5 months on the market. For some reason people assume that's defending weak hardware. It's a poor assumption, but an assumption all the same.

Also, people say it's about the games and gameplay. Graphics help, and we know that. But we all have been victimized by beautiful pieces of **** this gen. The games that didn't look like works of art (technically) were judged and executed by screenshots and resolution alone; and a lot of those were damn fine games. So as a gamer who's been at this for 33 years...I can see where these people are coming from. I've been burned by pretty pictures way too much (and the media hype) this gen. So hardware for the Wii U may not be an issue if the games that do make it to the Wii U are good. That's all that matters. If the 3rd party games are good on the PS4/720? Great! If the Wii U games are good as well? Great! The gamers win.

I will tell you what, though. If you (not you specifically) want to be superficial and not play games because of graphics? You may be missing out on a potentially great library. Same goes for Nintendo fans. Boycott graphic whores? You'll miss out on great games there too. I feel Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft are going to have a crap ton of exclusives this gen.

Pick a system and enjoy it. Who cares about sales. For all we know, with the way unique way Nintendo has been approaching this gen with their dev teams/partnerships, 3rd party 8th gen could be overrated. You miss some games, sure....but hasn't that been since the dawn of multi console gaming?
---
Currently playing: Wario Land: Shake It! Mighty Switch Force
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ash_wwRQFno
#27Pac12345Posted 4/20/2013 11:33:03 PM
Maybe the so called "hardcore gamers" should stop asking for for over powered consoles. Remember that having bigger isn't always better. Case in point: More power=Higher Development costs which leads to an interesting series of events:

- Higher Development costs implies a need for a higher number of sales in order to recuperate the money invested.

-If sales expectations aren't met, either the studio closes, or the the studio becomes more resilient to new game ideas (Less innovation)

- Companies start tailoring their games as services rather than products. This means tight schedules and less time for developers to polish a game. More focus on trends (Which will become outdated in a few years), more money put in advertising and marketing campaigns and less money put in new ideas.

- More focus on DLC. This leads to unfinished games or games overpriced games ($60 for an 8 hour campaign with unbalanced multi player and racist kids yelling? !)

- Companies start to look into implementing season passes, online codes, or the ban of used game sales. This punishes the consumer and greatly diminishes the appeal of video games as an affordable activity and as quality products.

- Since companies need to keep pumping games at a constant rhythm, because of the loans and debt they acquire since they need to spend more time using all of that mega awesome 8 GB GDDR RAM of power, development times greatly diminish. In order to do so, they need to sacrifice the quality of the games (For all the reasons above explained). This means that a "vortex" effect is created in the industry; all companies start doing the same, causing the overall quality of the games from all companies to diminish greatly.

SO, In the end, are you really sure you want beast consoles?
#28DiscostewSMPosted 4/20/2013 11:38:46 PM
AstralFrost posted...
mashu posted...
Misinformed. Third parties are not currently supporting the Wii U due to low console sales and a small-ish install base, leading them to calculate that the costs of a team to develop one of their titles using new and different coding than they are currently used to is currently cost ineffective. They're not entirely wrong on this either. When the Wii U's library is built up a bit more and sales increase some we'll slowly see more third parties come to the platform, but I wouldn't expect too much before next year.

Maybe you missed the part where developers have been quoted saying that the Wii U had a horrible, slow CPU.

http://kotaku.com/5962354/the-wii-u-has-a-horrible-slow-cpu-according-to-these-developers

Way to use old news when the more recent news debunked that.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#29anon_firePosted 4/20/2013 11:43:56 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
AstralFrost posted...
mashu posted...
Misinformed. Third parties are not currently supporting the Wii U due to low console sales and a small-ish install base, leading them to calculate that the costs of a team to develop one of their titles using new and different coding than they are currently used to is currently cost ineffective. They're not entirely wrong on this either. When the Wii U's library is built up a bit more and sales increase some we'll slowly see more third parties come to the platform, but I wouldn't expect too much before next year.

Maybe you missed the part where developers have been quoted saying that the Wii U had a horrible, slow CPU.

http://kotaku.com/5962354/the-wii-u-has-a-horrible-slow-cpu-according-to-these-developers

Way to use old news when the more recent news debunked that.

That link is old news now.
---
NNID: alaz21
#30SolisPosted 4/21/2013 12:54:02 AM
NeoSamuel posted...

PS3 overpowered? If anything it was UNDERpowered.

Pac12345 posted...
Maybe the so called "hardcore gamers" should stop asking for for over powered consoles. Remember that having bigger isn't always better. Case in point: More power=Higher Development costs which leads to an interesting series of events

Actually, no, more power doesn't lead to higher development costs. In fact, it essentially reduces them by requiring less effort to achieve the same overall quality, especially graphically.

Not to mention, there's not many claiming that they should be overpowered. The general consensus seems to be that they should be notably more powerful than last gen consoles, which is pretty much expected since they were released over 6 years ago. An 8-10x power jump is more than reasonable. It's not like anyone was complaining that the SNES, N64, or Gamecube were "too powerful", after all, why is being powerful such a problem now?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review