Pay to Play Virtual Console, would you pay?

#11themoth2112Posted 4/21/2013 8:20:34 AM
WraithX_959 posted...
Eoin posted...
It would depend heavily on the price of the subscription. Match the price of PlayStation Plus and I suspect most people would be interested.

For the purposes of this thread let's say $50 a year or $4.99 monthly. Every game in Nintendo's library from NES up to N64(3rd party titles not guaranteed), this would also include portable VC for 3DS(GB, GBC, and GBA).

Where the heck do I sign up!
---
mothmusic.tumblr.com
#12MilesTeg420Posted 4/21/2013 8:21:46 AM
All depends on which model makes more money for Nintendo. Individually priced games may make more money. 5 bucks for SMB3 is something pretty much everyone with a Wii U would consider.

I don't think Nintendo ever officially announced sales data for VC, but I believe some were in the millions.
#131shadetail1Posted 4/21/2013 8:24:59 AM
No deal. I don't want to play the vast majority of stuff out there, only the few diamonds in the rough. It would be much less expensive in the long run for me to just purchase the few titles I want and leave it at that.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#14Sharky8Posted 4/21/2013 8:30:14 AM
This is the bull**** that the competition pulls. One of the many reasons why I have no interest in Sony or Microsoft consoles. Pay to play online? Absolutely not. Never. Pay to "rent" games while I am on a subscription based service, but if I stop paying my subscription my rentals disappear? Hell no.

I would match rather pay 30 cents to $10 to buy a VC game that will forever be linked to my console, and should that console die, Nintendo will transfer it over to my replacement console. Although because it's Nintendo, I know my console will never die.
#15EoinPosted 4/21/2013 8:31:37 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
All depends on which model makes more money for Nintendo. Individually priced games may make more money.

I really doubt that there are all that many people spending > US$50 on Virtual Console games per year (and specifically just Nintendo-published VC games, at that). There'll be a few, of course, but for a large majority of subscribers, they'd be spending more on VC games this way than on individual purchases.

The worry would probably be more for the other eShop games. It's bad enough competing with individual Nintendo games - competing with their entire software library up to and including the N64, available for a single purchase, would be extremely difficult.
#16Baha05Posted 4/21/2013 8:34:33 AM
Ummm depends on the price and some perks. I'd say for 10 bucks a month plus one free game would do fine.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#17MilesTeg420Posted 4/21/2013 8:47:04 AM
Eoin posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
All depends on which model makes more money for Nintendo. Individually priced games may make more money.

I really doubt that there are all that many people spending > US$50 on Virtual Console games per year (and specifically just Nintendo-published VC games, at that). There'll be a few, of course, but for a large majority of subscribers, they'd be spending more on VC games this way than on individual purchases.

The worry would probably be more for the other eShop games. It's bad enough competing with individual Nintendo games - competing with their entire software library up to and including the N64, available for a single purchase, would be extremely difficult.

It's still subjective. Just because one person would spend more this way doesn't negate that more people may be willing to spend on a single purchase, rather than a service tied to a credit card and also one that technically doesn't allow you to own the games.
#18EoinPosted 4/21/2013 9:11:39 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
It's still subjective. Just because one person would spend more this way doesn't negate that more people may be willing to spend on a single purchase, rather than a service tied to a credit card and also one that technically doesn't allow you to own the games.

Yes, some people would be willing to spend more on individual purchases. That is, in fact, what I already said, so I'm unsure why you're re-iterating it.

As far as ownership goes, you don't "technically" own Virtual Console games anyway.
#19P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 4/21/2013 9:23:43 AM
andrea987 posted...
No, thanks.

---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Arkham City, Monster Hunter 3U
#20jakestar0306Posted 4/21/2013 9:24:02 AM
_Sovereign_ posted...
No. Unlike Netflix, I can't skip to parts / episodes I like while completely bypassing the crap.
I'd rather pay for what I'm going to play.

So you aren't allowed to play Super Mario 64 before going through Milon's Secret Castle? I don't really get what you're saying.
---
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.