3 Brand New U.S. Wii U Commercials (cringeworthy)

#161BadreviewPosted 4/22/2013 10:26:09 AM
Ampharos64 posted...

As far as marketing to a more core audience goes, I just don't think they have the games to do that yet, even supposing that actually is how they want to target the system, which I'm still a bit sceptical of.

Honestly, they should of went with the whole Family route in the first place, though not like this. Because even the future support of third party games is shaky at best.
#162Fou LuPosted 4/22/2013 10:36:02 AM
thanthen posted...
Do they still have commercials? I haven't watch tv in like 8-10 years.

Grats. If you watched enough TV you'd actually learn how to tune them out and make them completely useless, but not watching TV is a good way to rebel against the system.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#163P00DGEPosted 4/22/2013 10:55:49 AM
Fou Lu posted...
thanthen posted...
Do they still have commercials? I haven't watch tv in like 8-10 years.

Grats. If you watched enough TV you'd actually learn how to tune them out and make them completely useless, but not watching TV is a good way to rebel against the system.

When I read the comment, I was under the assumption that he was like me. Only torrent and stream the shows you like online. I haven't actually watched "real" tv in a long time either. Most of the shows I watch I just catch online off a torrent site an hour or two after it airs anyway... usually the next day though. It can turn an hour long program into a 40 minute program, and I can view it on my schedule, not the schedule tv companies want me to adhere to.
#164P00DGEPosted 4/22/2013 11:00:50 AM
Beatperson14 posted...
So delusional lmao

So no game being above an 8/10 is an amazing launch now? Most of them being rehashes? Half the games that have normally released in this time period?

Delusional? If anyone knows how the launch went it is Nintendo. Do you REALLY think they are going to say something bad about themselves in a commercial though? Are you really that thick? The point of a commercial is to get people to notice your product in a positive light... why on earth would they say their system isn't excellent in a commercial? That would be the stupidest thing they could do. Advertisements are not meant to be confessionals. They are meant to sell a product. You seem to think Nintendo trying to get business is them being "delusional".
#165deathslovePosted 4/22/2013 11:13:08 AM
GoombaX posted...
ElectricMole posted...
Aimed at kids and parents.

Just what nintendo needs to change its image. -_-;

so its aimed at the whole family? Good to know, it has something for everyone.

It is more aimed at the parents to buy it for their 10 year olds or younger. Did you see all the kids in every commercial? Obviously their target market of kids can't buy it themselves so they have to aim it for the parents to buy it for them.
#166Shinobi120Posted 4/22/2013 11:28:35 AM
The_Mana_Legend posted...
I am pretty certain that 90% of all NeoGAF topics are anti-Nintendo topics now.

This. They're mostly pro-Sony.
#167DeltaProjPosted 4/22/2013 11:34:38 AM
Meh, I actually don't mind these commercials. They're focusing on getting more families to buy the Wii U (mostly for the children), which worked well for the Wii.

However, they do need to start showing commercials of people in their 20's who are interested in the console. It doesn't even have to focus on mature rated games, it just has to have believable sounding post-teens who want to play Mario Kart, Wind Waker, or whatever.
---
WWIAOBD?
#168DTY3Posted 4/22/2013 11:37:02 AM
DeltaProj posted...
Meh, I actually don't mind these commercials. They're focusing on getting more families to buy the Wii U (mostly for the children), which worked well for the Wii.

However, they do need to start showing commercials of people in their 20's who are interested in the console. It doesn't even have to focus on mature rated games, it just has to have believable sounding post-teens who want to play Mario Kart, Wind Waker, or whatever.

They did it for the 3DS, why not for the Wii U?

3DS commercials with those dudes in their 20's were pretty good. Do that again, Nintendo.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#169ave1Posted 4/22/2013 11:44:33 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
DelsinRowe posted...
Those are terrible commercials. The only people that would be convinced to get a Wii U after watching that are little babies.

Actually, this commercial demonstrates a product for little babies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

Hilarious comments on that one XD
---
If a tree falls in a forest and you hear it, but your eyes are closed, how do you know it's not just fifty porcupines sliding down a hill?
#170MegaWinFTWPosted 4/22/2013 12:29:30 PM
Even putting aside how cringeworthy these ads are and acknowledging that they're targeted at a completely different market than your average forum poster, these are still terrible adverts.

Even though they're clearly trying to make it obvious that it's a new console they ultimately failed at doing so. "Upgrading" can still be taken as being some sort of add on for the existing Wii, especially when they only show the actual console right at the end and how similar it looks to the original Wii (which was a stupid decision in the first place). They get these people to keep asserting how "different" it is without ever explaining what exactly makes it different, while making overblown statements that anyone with any basic knowledge of videogames would find laughable, particularly the boy calling it "the best system ever" and the dad overstating the graphics, you want to make your system sound good but reign it in a bit. It really didn't help that they were showing a lot of NSMBU which, to the intended audience for these adverts, could easily mistaken for the Wii game, it was a really bad move to cut straight to footage of it right after one of the assertions that it's "different".

All they had to do to make it more clear was have one of them mention how it's a whole new box that supports HD and how much better it looks on their HDTV, although it's a bit ridiculous that they even need to explain this to people, naming it the Wii U was a terrible idea.

Maybe these "testimonial" types of ads work, but I personally hate them. We all know these people are being paid to give the opinions that the company wants, it just comes across as insulting that they're trying to make it seem like this isn't all scripted and fake.