Playing DS Games on WiiU [Poll]

#1ZalteregoPosted 4/21/2013 9:46:53 PM(edited)
If there was a peripheral offered to play 3DS games on the WiiU, would you be interested? - Results (50 votes)
I don't have a WiiU, but would but one if I could play 3DS games on it via a peripheral.
12% (6 votes)
I don't have a WiiU and wouldn't buy one even if I could play 3DS games on it.
2% (1 votes)
I have a WiiU and don't have a 3DS and would be interested in a peripheral.
24% (12 votes)
I have a WiiU and wouldn't be interested in playing 3DS games on it.
14% (7 votes)
I have a WiiU and a 3DS and would be interested in a peripheral.
48% (24 votes)
This poll is now closed.
*'buy' for that first option, btws...

My friend and I were having this discussion today, he already owns a 3DS but has no interest in the WiiU at this moment, but might buy one if he could also play his 3DS games on it.

I, on the other hand, have no 3DS and no WiiU, but would buy a WiiU if I could play 3DS games on it too.

I don't know, to me the WiiU doesn't have enough on it just yet to justify the purchase, but the 3DS does...but I hate portables and that's a pretty hefty strike against a system. I just don't have time to play them on the go, and if I'm at home I'd rather play something on my TV or monitor.

I know that a concept was done on this, DSU, but that's obviously something that hasn't been considered (or if it has, not publicly).

I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way. And if anyone can offer an explanation why Nintendo hasn't made this a reality. They did it with the GBA and I loved it.

I don't think it would cut into their sales, because they'd pick up people like me who just want to play the games, but wouldn't buy a portable system. Then I'd buy a WiiU, a peripheral (let's say $80 or something for that) and I'd be happy, and purchasing games from both pools.

And, sure, it's designed for a smaller screen, but you can't tell me that people aren't willing to deal with that. Maybe letterbox it a little, or something. But people play emulators all the time from the ancient days of yore and are perfectly happy with a slightly pixilated game (I've heard, I don't, personally).

I'm just saying...Luigi's Mansion and Harvest Moon nearly justify a 3DS to me, but I just really, really despise handhelds. New Super Mario Bros. U, Zombie U, and the promise of another Zelda nearly sell me on the WiiU, but not at this price.

Throw me an option to play them all, right now, and I'd be yours.
---
my comic: http://www.thepkf.com violence makes me giggle
#2DBPanterAPosted 4/21/2013 9:54:53 PM
I own both the Wii U and the 3DS. I do not want to play 3DS games on the Wii U.

Nintendo views the two as two separate consoles. I would be shocked (pleasantly) if they ever actually have an account based system rather than console based account system, and would be shocked even more if they offered some sort of device that would allow the play of 3DS retail games on a Wii U.

Still feel potentially they will use the 3DS as a second Wii U Gamepad when the time comes, but you never know with Nintendo.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#3aaroncortPosted 4/21/2013 9:58:48 PM(edited)
Why would you need a peripheral? You already have two screens, the bottom having a touch screen.
---
Steam: Avant_Tarde

Edit, I'm an idiot, I misread your post.
#4vidalmorazaPosted 4/21/2013 10:03:20 PM
It can be played in the same gamepad, it can display 2 screens on it
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#5Zalterego(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 9:05:33 PM
Well, you'd need some way to get the cart to talk with the system. I'm not saying that you'd need a new pad (in fact, that's half the point...they already have a bottom screen).

Really, I'm just trying to come up with a way for Nintendo to still sell some physical object that a person can buy as a stand in for the 3DS...like the thing that plugged into the bottom of the GameCube.

Sure, the Wii U could probably emulate the 3DS, but then we'd have to buy digital only (not a big deal to me), or add a new slot in the console to let us play 3DS games on it (probably a big deal to Nintendo).
---
my comic: http://www.thepkf.com violence makes me giggle