Nintendo is the only one advancing into virtual reality gaming

#1iKhanicPosted 4/22/2013 1:44:16 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone would like to see a future in which our games involve an immersive interaction with an environment.

Part of the reason the Wii was so wildly successful initially wasn't just the casual audience, but also the notion that it is a step on the way to gaming in that way. The Wii U continues on that trend, because you are able to view out panoramic areas with the Gamepad, but I don't think it is as apparent as it is with the Wii
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2MikeisapoetPosted 4/22/2013 1:50:22 PM
"Nintendo is the only one advancing into virtual reality gaming."

Oculus Rift VR Headset says hello.
---
If you were to ask me what kind of person I was, I'd tell you I listen to dubstep, country, rap and thrash metal. I think that makes me a pretty level person.
#3iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 2:00:08 PM
Mikeisapoet posted...
"Nintendo is the only one advancing into virtual reality gaming."

Oculus Rift VR Headset says hello.

Sorry, bad title. I shouldn't have said "Only one"

But I just looked that up and it looks amazing. Finally I will be able to enjoy the 1st person shooter genre, because it won't cut off my periphery. I'm definitely going to get that. Maybe I'll get Doom 3/4 in honor of the first game I ever played, Doom.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#4mahgah91Posted 4/22/2013 2:16:24 PM
What virtual reality? You mean augmented reality? That clumsy and gimmicky feature? Oculus is the one really on the frontier of VR and it's definitely spurred from the core gaming industry, not the hipster hardware fads that Nintendo puts out.

I love Nintendo but please don't pretend that Nintendo is anything at the front of innovation. They can't sustain large losses on hardware so instead of pushing gaming technology forward, they take sidesteps with gimmicky hardware and an annoying amount of accessories because they can't compete in terms of hardware power and capability. They thought online gaming was unnecessary so they didn't put any effort into creating a comprehensive online interface until the Wii U and even still digital purchases are tied to systems and the eShop is chaotically categorized and difficult to navigate.

Not to mention their games--almost all retro rehashes or sequels to old games when Nintendo was actually trying out new things.

Nintendo is at their best when they're doing the same old things. Nintendo is at their worst when they're trying new things.
#5iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 2:23:47 PM
mahgah91 posted...
What virtual reality? You mean augmented reality? That clumsy and gimmicky feature? Oculus is the one really on the frontier of VR and it's definitely spurred from the core gaming industry, not the hipster hardware fads that Nintendo puts out.

I love Nintendo but please don't pretend that Nintendo is anything at the front of innovation. They can't sustain large losses on hardware so instead of pushing gaming technology forward, they take sidesteps with gimmicky hardware and an annoying amount of accessories because they can't compete in terms of hardware power and capability. They thought online gaming was unnecessary so they didn't put any effort into creating a comprehensive online interface until the Wii U and even still digital purchases are tied to systems and the eShop is chaotically categorized and difficult to navigate.

Not to mention their games--almost all retro rehashes or sequels to old games when Nintendo was actually trying out new things.

Nintendo is at their best when they're doing the same old things. Nintendo is at their worst when they're trying new things.

Augmented reality is the addition of virtual entities to picture of reality. I mean virtual reality. That includes being able to manipulate virtual environments with your body rather than just a controller. The Wii takes a step forward in that. The Wii U is a step forward in panoramic virtual reality, but the Occulus does do something cool as well.

Pushing power is not a way to push gaming technology forward anymore. Larger draw distances and more enemies on screen is not something that critically alters a gaming experience. Back in the day, power was able to create things like 3D gameplay, or let us move away from sprites. Nowaday's we can't get anything that drastic.
---
#6iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 2:38:16 PM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the 3DS as well. That fits in too.
---
#7mahgah91Posted 4/22/2013 2:49:03 PM
iKhanic posted...
Pushing power is not a way to push gaming technology forward anymore. Larger draw distances and more enemies on screen is not something that critically alters a gaming experience.

Well yes, if the only game you ever play is Dynasty Warriors. Better technology goes so much further beyond draw distances and more objects on screen.

Look at the difference between Oblivion and Skyrim. GTA IV with mods and GTA IV on console. With open world games like Crysis, hardware capabilities was everything to the experience. You can't craft experiences like that without pushing technology forward. You can see how the experience went really downhill after Crysis started shifting focus to console. They went from providing a PC-centric sandbox taking full advantage of advanced hardware to making a mutated compromise between the "cinematic" CoD experience and something that resembled Crysis.

Pushing hardware power isn't the only way to push gaming forwards but it is a way. To discredit it as such is just ignorant. Every generation of video games has had games that weren't possible the previous generation because of hardware limitations. The same will be true of next gen. We already have things like the hugely ambitious 1000 vs. 1000 multiplayer, a sandbox game that allows you to explore randomly generated planets, MMOs that can be even more massively multiplayer, hilarious fan projects like Just Cause 2 multiplayer, etc.

A game like Watchdogs wouldn't have been done half as well 5 years ago. Pushing hardware capabilities allows DICE to keep the Battlefield experience that we love while making it look exponentially better. It's the spirit of pushing gaming hardware that created a project like Occulus in the first place.

Graphics aren't everything, nor are they ever the core part of a game (except in rare cases like the first Crysis). But to those who say "graphics don't matter" and believe it, they're just as close minded as someone who believes graphics are inseparable to a good game.
#8ElectricMolePosted 4/22/2013 2:54:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9ElectricMolePosted 4/22/2013 2:57:16 PM
Google, Valve, and Sony are at the forefront of VR gaming. Go youtube it.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#10thundercat2600Posted 4/22/2013 3:26:06 PM
Yeah, a resistive tablet controller is really advancing us toward virtual reality...

Hate to say it, but Kinect is WAY more VR-like than anything Nintendo has right now.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink