Anyone else generally prefer only Japanese games?

#81The_Undying_84Posted 4/23/2013 1:17:35 PM
Nope. I kinda want to say they're a little less likely to be COMPLETELY terrible than western games, but Capcom and Square Enix are doing their best to change that.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#82bijwmocPosted 4/23/2013 1:18:04 PM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Japanese games have slipped in quality a LOT over the current console generation. You'd have to be some blind weeaboo to have not noticed. I've played some excellent western developed games, especially lately having finished Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite.

Holding all western devs at fault for something Bethesda did that you might not have liked is silly. I guess Capcom's "treachery" gets a free pass because they're Japanese, right?

Everything has declined in quality this generation. It comes naturally from the industry struggling with the higher and higher production costs for games of larger scale and technical prowess. That's why indie games are such a huge thing now.
In my opinion, Japanese companies still do come up with good non-indie stuff more often than the others, mostly because they tend to use the technically simpler portables more.
#83lito119Posted 4/23/2013 1:20:55 PM
I like to play Japanese developed games more than western developed games but I still play Western if it is very good like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite.
#84AlustarPosted 4/23/2013 1:21:28 PM
mrnv posted...
On consoles, yes, I almost exclusively buy Japanese games.

On PC, I typically buy US games.

This right here
#85Pac12345Posted 4/23/2013 1:25:56 PM
Yeah, I tend to like Japanese games more than Western games. However I never say no to good games such as L.A. Noire or Skyrim. The thing is Japanese games tend to be more recreational, whereas Western games are tailored like services (Which makes them dated and archaic as time passes. See server shutdowns on any of the multiplayer oriented games today) and are more focused on competition (Which gets boring after a while)
#86ADHDguitarPosted 4/23/2013 1:28:39 PM
I would never lower myself to the same level as people who only play western games. I do tend to prefer Japanese games, but I'd never make it a rule.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#87Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 1:34:05 PM
Sir_Specter posted...
These days, yeah, I generally do. Last western game I bought was Dishonored and before that, it was Skyrim. I'm glad to finally see someone else who realizes what a failure that game was compared to its predecessors.

Western games these days seem to focus on graphics and masculinity with little room for anything else. I HATE the square-jawed, overly muscled bald guy that most western titles have you play these days. Mass Effect might as well have not even had character customization because you're always going to be ugly, muscular, nearly-bald guy. There's no substance either. They're mostly 5-6 hour shooters with very little to differentiate them.

Japanese games have been faring only slightly better in that there's at least more than one genre and more character variety even if there is that general anime aesthetic in all of them.

The anime aesthetic is generally much better to look at than the designs in Western games these days.
#88Ness0123456789Posted 4/23/2013 2:20:35 PM
They decided to not support anymore Skyrim DLC, which means the dumbed-down RPG lite husk that I stupidly paid $60 on Steam will never be anything close to Morrowind in terms of quality. Even though they said they were going to make new content. So, after their repeated PR lies, I think they can go rot in hell alongside EA Bioware.

Well it's a good thing you bought the PC version, which has an amazing community of modders and mod support. You don't need Bethesda to have continuous content flowing in. Hell, Morrowind was only good BECAUSE of the Modders.

As for limiting by region, it's because I can't stomach the aesthetics of Western games anymore. I'm sick of that tiresome obsession with realism, with that disgusting emphasis on masculinity, and the overly bombastic tone. It truly feels so childish and immature.

As opposed to the majority of JRPGs and Anime-based games that more often then not rely on convulted story telling and cliche ridden messes such as "Friendship is power"?

At least with games that have anime or otherwise cartoony look, they're honest about what they are. Nintendo games like Pokemon may appear "kiddy," but at least they don't try to pretend they're anything else. Those games with more realistic art, like that GTA5, on the other hand....come off as a angsty teenager or an overgrown manchild trying way too hard to prove they're a big boy now.

...Have..you even played GTA before? The only game in that series that tried to be serious was GTA4.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#89idrawrobotstooPosted 4/23/2013 2:20:55 PM
I generally prefer Japanese games. They are generally so much better. There are not many games made elsewhere that I buy.
I generally prefer Nintendo games They are generally so much better. There are not many games made elsewhere that I buy.
#90Sir_SpecterPosted 4/23/2013 2:30:25 PM
Eamon696 posted...
Sir_Specter posted...
These days, yeah, I generally do. Last western game I bought was Dishonored and before that, it was Skyrim. I'm glad to finally see someone else who realizes what a failure that game was compared to its predecessors.

Western games these days seem to focus on graphics and masculinity with little room for anything else. I HATE the square-jawed, overly muscled bald guy that most western titles have you play these days. Mass Effect might as well have not even had character customization because you're always going to be ugly, muscular, nearly-bald guy. There's no substance either. They're mostly 5-6 hour shooters with very little to differentiate them.

Japanese games have been faring only slightly better in that there's at least more than one genre and more character variety even if there is that general anime aesthetic in all of them.

This post is wrong in several ways.

Oh please, wise internet-dweller, enlighten this poor, uninformed peon. Unless you're just going to cite western games that aren't like the ones I have problems with, in which case I'd tell you that I never claimed that they were ALL like that. I'm aware that more than one genre exists, as well. But there is certainly a lot of homogenization that sometimes makes it feel otherwise.