Destroying your childhood, Episode 1: Super Mario World

#1fhsfootball74Posted 4/23/2013 12:25:07 PM
Found this over on vgchartz, written by user RolStoppable. I thought he made some pretty solid points. What do you guys think? Again I did not write this!

Welcome to a new series of threads that aims to kick certain games from their pedestals. While the title is provoking, the goal isn't so much to make you enjoy old games less, but new games more. This will be achieved by taking a critical look at classic games and highlighting flaws that were blocked out by your memory. Quite a few gamers suffer from an illness that is best summed up by the words "No game in this series will ever be as good as..." which leads to new installments being played with the subconscious wish to not like them and thus looking for every little thing to nitpick.

Episode 1: Super Mario World

The fourth game in the Super Mario Bros. series, a SNES launch game and regarded by many as the best entry. The series encompasses six games: Super Mario Bros. (1985), Super Mario Bros. 2 a.k.a. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (1986), Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988), Super Mario World (1990), New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) and New Super Mario Bros. U (2012).

Handheld games are excluded, because they traditionally ran as their own separate series. Super Mario Bros. 2 USA is excluded, because it was a different game that got reskinned and sold as a Super Mario Bros. title. Keeping these things in mind, we'll now go through a checklist of common criticism that is directed at the games after SMW which are NSMB Wii and NSMB U, but apparently doesn't apply to SMW.

1) "The new games are too easy."

SMW was even easier. It was the title that introduced an abundance of extra lives and the ability to replay levels. It's also the only game in the series that allows you to start and abort levels while keeping your progress. Need a feather? Go to Donut Plains 1 and get one within seconds. It's also the only game that allows you to store an extra power-up in a box, so you might as well start up Donut Plains 1 twice. It's also the only game that features something like the Top Secret Area where you can stock up on feathers, fire flowers and Yoshis as often as you want. No other game in the series makes it this easy.

As for the difficulty of the levels themselves, the game isn't any harder than either of the NSMB games. The cape also acts like a P-Wing in non-water/non-cave/non-castle levels with vertical scrolling, so about 1/4 of the levels can be finished within seconds. It's not like you'll miss out on anything important.

2) "The new games are too short."

The new games contain a few more levels than SMW. The only reason why SMW might have felt like a long game to you is because you were so inexperienced at video games back then when you first played it. Today a 100% rerun of SMW shouldn't take you more than three hours while the NSMB games clock in at around five hours each.

3) "The new games don't offer enough new things."

SMW was a huge step back from SMB3 in terms of power-ups. SMW is the most disappointing sequel after SMB2, but that game is so bad that it's the worst game in the series in pretty much any category you can think of. SMW also removed competitive multiplayer which came back with NSMBW. What was also added with the Wii game was co-op multiplayer. NSMBU added a challenge mode as well as boost mode. Both NSMB games also featured better power-ups than SMW and the new moves that were first seen in the DS game NSMB, namely double and triple jumps, wall jumps and the ground pound. The latter being a better alternative to SMW's spin jump.

4) "The new games don't push the systems they are on."

Neither did Super Mario World.
---
Blue Jackets, Columbus Crew, Reds, Bengals, Buckeyes
PSN-Fhsfootball74 NNID- returnoftheryan
#2fhsfootball74(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 12:25:38 PM
5) "Super Mario Bros. just isn't what it used to be back then."

It's better this way, trust me. Sonic the Hedgehog's rise happened during the time of Super Mario World. Today Super Mario Bros. thrones above everything and Sonic has been shoved into the downloadable games ghetto.

6) "Nowadays Nintendo only uses the series to cash in."

And SMW wasn't such a game? The game had to be ready for the SNES launch and was pushed out the door. That's one of the reasons why it barely had any power-ups in comparison to SMB3. Nintendo used the game to sell the SNES.

Conclusion: Super Mario World is far from being the flawless and perfect game your memory makes you believe it is. Go back and replay it. Then play NSMBW and NSMBU afterwards and notice the evolution clear as day.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=159099

Again not my writing.
---
Blue Jackets, Columbus Crew, Reds, Bengals, Buckeyes
PSN-Fhsfootball74 NNID- returnoftheryan
#3KaiRyusakiPosted 4/23/2013 12:32:21 PM
I hate people who uses "i got 100 lives" as an excuse for the game being easy

How often you DIE should determine how hard the game is, not how many lives you get.

I have INFINITE lives in Oddworld and Super Meat Boy. are those easy?
#4Beatperson14Posted 4/23/2013 12:33:41 PM
Nintendo has been a sorry game company for years, but I don't think SMW was the low point lol
#51shadetail1Posted 4/23/2013 12:47:06 PM
While I mostly agree with the underlying ideas, the post is pretty poorly written in general. The really big problem with it is that every single point the author makes is just personal opinion, but the post treats them like objective facts.

Consider the opening sentence of point #5: "It's better this way, trust me." Uh, no author. Why should I trust you? That's just your opinion, and the only thing you back it up with is a completely non sequitur comparison to Sonic the Hedgehog.

What this post really comes down to is a rather pretentious attempt to pretend that the author's personal tastes in gaming is superior to others' tastes. It doesn't acknowledge at all that people can legitimately enjoy SMW more than newer Mario platformers.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#6The_Mana_LegendPosted 4/23/2013 12:52:54 PM
Even though I did really love SMW, I can definitely see how it was a step back from SMB3.

Although, to be fair about the "game being too easy" part. The only hard Mario games are Mario 1 and Lost Levels. The rest are ridiculously easy outside of a couple of levels towards the end and a couple of bonus levels.
#71shadetail1Posted 4/23/2013 1:09:40 PM
Oh, and also, some bits were factually wrong. Like this, for instance:

"SMW was even easier. It was the title that introduced an abundance of extra lives and the ability to replay levels."

Nope. You could replay levels in SMB3. And as for extra lives, I offer exhibit A: a speed run of SMB3 that not only takes only 11 minutes, but also ends with 99 extra lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3BuYYhnn0
---
#8BigReedPosted 4/23/2013 1:11:25 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
Oh, and also, some bits were factually wrong. Like this, for instance:

"SMW was even easier. It was the title that introduced an abundance of extra lives and the ability to replay levels."

Nope. You could replay levels in SMB3. And as for extra lives, I offer exhibit A: a speed run of SMB3 that not only takes only 11 minutes, but also ends with 99 extra lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3BuYYhnn0

Everyone seems to be saying that the speedrun is using "tools". Meaning, that speed run was done by cheating.
---
If you like my reviews, recommend them. If you have some suggestions feel free to PM me.
#9CaioNVPosted 4/23/2013 1:11:53 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
Nope. You could replay levels in SMB3.

Are you sure? I know that you can move on the map, but I think that you can't interact with levels you finished...
---
Let's Blocking:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj88/Debug_Mode/sf3_2.png
#101shadetail1Posted 4/23/2013 1:18:21 PM(edited)
CaioNV posted...
1shadetail1 posted...
Nope. You could replay levels in SMB3.

Are you sure? I know that you can move on the map, but I think that you can't interact with levels you finished...

You might be right. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong.

=====

BigReed posted...
Everyone seems to be saying that the speedrun is using "tools". Meaning, that speed run was done by cheating.

My point was that getting tons of extra lives was not introduced in SMW. It's easy to get 99 extra lives just in the very second level of SMB3 by continuously stomping goombas that spawn out of a pipe.
---