Does the update allow us to play already owned games with the GamePad?

#1bskiffingtonPosted 4/23/2013 3:51:50 PM
I know that you can pay an extra fee to get off-tv play. What I'm wondering is, for example, would I be able to play my already purchased SMRPG using the GamePad's buttons with the update or would that require me waiting until it is up on the VC to redownload? Again, not talking about off-tv play, I want to actually be able to play the game in the first place without needing a classic controller for the Wii.
#2cleanchris2Posted 4/23/2013 3:56:59 PM
I just asked the same question down to SMRPG xD

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66033307

In short from what people know it sounds like we may have to wait for the games to re-release on the Wii U VC.
---
"TC is this guy: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_398/12421089776uDpsu.jpg" -chaomaster4000
#3elbarto1Posted 4/23/2013 3:59:33 PM
Yeah you have to wait and repurchase it. If you already own a copy from the Wii vc you get a discount and only pay $1-2
---
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
:XBL: THE B0DY :PSN: bionichrist :NNID: The_B0DY
#4cleanchris2Posted 4/23/2013 4:00:50 PM
Hopefully Nintendo will be releasing and re-releasing VC games on a weekly basis though? I forget, isn't that how it worked with the Wii?
---
"TC is this guy: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_398/12421089776uDpsu.jpg" -chaomaster4000
#5CubeTVPosted 4/23/2013 4:06:09 PM
^In Japan at least. Here in NA, it's near impossible to get some VC game especially on the 3DS. Even then... All it is is just ONE NES game. So who knows?
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#6PacMangPosted 4/23/2013 4:10:06 PM
elbarto1 posted...
Yeah you have to wait and repurchase it. If you already own a copy from the Wii vc you get a discount and only pay $1-2

Which is what makes this Wii U Virtual Console launch so much more appalling. The Wii VC library, as it is today, was built in 6 and a half years. There's a very strong possibility that gamers who have acquired titles throughout this time, will not be able to upgrade for years if they decide to trickle down releases once again. I honestly think the Wii U would be extremely fortunate to last in this market for 6 more years. Truthfully, we probably won't see the same titles we did in the prior system.

Speaking as someone who supported the Wii's digital offerings, this upsets me a great deal. And I fully expect users to come in and suggest I can play it in Wii mode, and that's fine for the time being, but I, as well as many others, believe when you start to purchase digitally, you buy into a separate ecosystem. I don't think it's outlandish in the slightest to expect backwards compatibility. Whether you're purchasing movies digitally from Amazon.com, music from iTunes, video games from Steam, etc., there's an expectation that when the day comes that you build or purchase a new computer, or purchase a new phone, that previously bought digital goods should work.

The Wii U, Wii, and Nintendo GameCube all use a PowerPC processor. This is the reason why they are able to just throw in full backwards compatibility in the form of having to restart the system and booting into an older OS. And that's great for right now, but when the time comes to move away from this architecture and embrace x86-64 just as Sony did with the PS4, and just as Apple did prior to that with OS X, that would mean they would AGAIN need to redo all the virtual console titles, and it won't be nearly as simple this time. That is what I'm truly dreading. Nintendo doesn't seem to plan anything they do out. They address it as it comes, and by then 6 months have passed and they're launching a service with 8 games, 4 previously sold.
#7vidalmorazaPosted 4/23/2013 4:13:13 PM
CubeTV posted...
^In Japan at least. Here in NA, it's near impossible to get some VC game especially on the 3DS. Even then... All it is is just ONE NES game. So who knows?

Starts good, then it slows down, the Wii was like 2-3 VC games every week, then 1 per week, then 2-3 per month, then 1 per month, then it was lucky if we get a VC game...
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#8cleanchris2Posted 4/23/2013 4:18:48 PM
vidalmoraza posted...
CubeTV posted...

Starts good, then it slows down, the Wii was like 2-3 VC games every week, then 1 per week, then 2-3 per month, then 1 per month, then it was lucky if we get a VC game...

I wonder how long it takes for them to make the "Wii U VC version", however I would hope they'd abandon their old Wii VC altogether in a couple of years and by that time would have built back up to it on the Wii U. Fingers crossed (I'm always up for playing through Startropics again, especially off-tv on the gamepad lol)..
---
#9selfdeztructionPosted 4/26/2013 1:16:15 AM
The things holding up the release of the Wii U VC games are that they wanted to release the system update first and also that each game will have Miiversere integration.

They're also having to add the ability to customize the control scheme and make the games display properly.

The reason that the Wii had slow releases was because they had to sift through the files of each game (rom) and make sure that there wasn't anything that could be exploited and make the system hackable.

The games that cleared Nintendo's security check before releasing on the Wii VC now only need to be tweaked for the gamepad and Miiverse.

The things required for Wii U VC compatibility are minor and quick compared to the scrutiny that was required for the Wii VC.
---
XBL/PSN (PS3&vita)/Wii-U/Skype-selfdeztruction
Wii FC(HaVoK) 6605 3315 8599 4345 3DSXL FC(HaVoK) 3780 9281 5652 I'm no fanboy,I'm a dirty whore.OKC gamer