The Virtual Console $1 Transfer Fee Makes Sense When You Think About It.

#1sejan12Posted 4/24/2013 12:33:26 PM
I keep seeing ridiculous posts about how much people hate the virtual console transfer fee, but it really does make sense. In fact, I'd say that there are several reasons that it makes sense.

1. The vast majority of Virtual Console games are not owned or controlled by Nintendo. While it seems obvious, it does have several implications on how they can be put in Nintendo's eShops. For example, when Hulu started following Netflix to game consoles and smart phones, they ran into a problem. Their contract only allowed for them to distribute a number of their TV shows and Movies on computers. Thus, several shows were conspicuously absent from these other devices. Nintendo may have only originally licensed these games to be released on the Wii leaving them unable to distribute them on other systems. Since Nintendo does not control these titles, their distribution onto devices other than the device that they were originally sold on is a decision that must be made jointly between Nintendo and the ones with the rights to said games.

2. Digital distribution contracts typically expire after a set amount of time. For example, the Rock Band store has begun to lose songs because of expiring deals. It would be an unwise move for a company like square to give unlimited control to Nintendo to distribute their software timewise. It has been theorized that several games that have been dropped from the virtual console lately were dropped because of expired contracts. When Nintendo approaches these companies to renew their contract, it is certainly possible that they will be renegotiated. Renegotiating contracts cost money.

3. The Nintendo network is a free service with no advertisements outside of featured games on the eShop. It takes a lot of money to run server farms, MiiVerse moderators, and people to maintain and program all these nifty online features. As such, Nintendo needs to monetize its online offerings. Yes, the eShop is an obvious example of earning money from these features and MiiVerse in itself is a sort of advertisement, but its also reported that Nintendo is taking a smaller portion of eShop sales than it did with the Wii Shop. Also, this online infrastructure is far more robust than anything Nintendo has had in the past. To keep the Nintendo Network free, they have to earn a little money wherever they can.

4. The emulators for these games have to be rewritten. Emulators are very complex programs that have to be individually tweaked for each game on them. New features such as Off TV play and save states have been added that somebody had to program. Nintendo must recoup the cost of this work somewhere.

5. This is not a forced payment. These games already work perfectly fine on your Wii U via the transfer that you already had to do to get the lowered price point. They aren't forcing you into anything; they are simply charging you for convenience and a few new features.

6. I seriously doubt that anyone that bought tons of games is going to care to transfer them all--at least not all at once. I bought several Virtual Console games. I had never tried some of them, and a few of them turned out to be purchases that I regretted. I won't transfer those games at all. Honestly, I will only transfer the games that I want to play at that moment. I'll transfer SMW when I want to play in and not a moment sooner. If this fee costs anyone $50+ at once than they could probably approach it in a more intelligent way.

7. This is an awesome deal compared to what others have done in the past. Want to play your PSP games on a PSP Go? How about you pay full price... again. Sony has already announced that the PS4 will not have native backwards compatibility. Chances are high that there will be some annoying fee or process to transfer your PS1 and PS2 classics to the PS4 for all the reasons mentioned above.

tl;dr - Stop complaining because you feel self entitled
#2SlimeSwayzePosted 4/24/2013 12:34:43 PM
Playing the games...elsewhere...makes sense to me when I think about it.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#3KAMMYqueenPosted 4/24/2013 12:34:49 PM
useless topic anyone with a brain already knew this
---
KAMMY KOOPA is the final hope for Nintendo!
#4Rival_Blue_1999Posted 4/24/2013 12:35:06 PM
Finally someone with some damn common sense.
---
Nintendo Network: Jon_14
#5GoIrish80Posted 4/24/2013 12:35:53 PM
Amount of people who initially disagree with your opinion that you will have converted over to your side after typing all that out = 0

This is the internet, man. No one cares about any opinion other than their own.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#6squatch22Posted 4/24/2013 12:37:43 PM
Its not a transfer fee.
Its free to transfer Wii games to Wii U.
---
Nintendo: Leading the way for others to follow.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#7CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 4/24/2013 12:37:49 PM
Wow.

Incredible post.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#8Baha05Posted 4/24/2013 12:38:59 PM
Bottom line is that it's extremely poor for Nintendo. I mean the Vita even allows for redownload of the same games on the past generation. The least Nintendo could have done was make two versions, a Premium and a Standard. Give the Premium a majority of Wii U features (Miiverse, controller set up) toss in a Wall Paper for the dash and bame a buck to buck fifty.

Have a standard version not have some of the features and restrict it to Gamepad/Wiimote/Classic

Not to mention the ability to transfer saves.

I mean there IS and easier way to justify a dollar. (My only justification will come from the fact I might get points for the Digital Promotion)
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#9Rival_Blue_1999Posted 4/24/2013 12:41:28 PM
Baha05 posted...
Bottom line is that it's extremely poor for Nintendo. I mean the Vita even allows for redownload of the same games on the past generation. The least Nintendo could have done was make two versions, a Premium and a Standard. Give the Premium a majority of Wii U features (Miiverse, controller set up) toss in a Wall Paper for the dash and bame a buck to buck fifty.

That seems like it would come out more dickish considering thats most of the things the system was hyped up for.
---
Nintendo Network: Jon_14
#10sejan12(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 12:45:37 PM
Baha05 posted...

Have a standard version not have some of the features and restrict it to Gamepad/Wiimote/Classic

Not to mention the ability to transfer saves.

I mean there IS and easier way to justify a dollar. (My only justification will come from the fact I might get points for the Digital Promotion)

They are giving you the ability to redownload the games on the Wii U. Its called system transfer and it offers exactly that minus the ability to use the GamePad in Wii mode. Basically, you are getting exactly what you are asking for minus the wallpaper.