The Virtual Console $1 Transfer Fee Makes Sense When You Think About It.

#71nickvd8Posted 4/24/2013 6:03:51 PM
TechniMyoko posted...
No it doesnt make sense. Sony didnt charge us again when they added the same features

Sony was just updating a game already released on the system. Nintendo has to add code to the roms to allow them to use Wii U's unique functions in addition to recoding them to run on Wii U. You can't just slap a rom from the Wii on the Wii U and it'll magically have all the extras. Use your head please.
---
Sign this
www.tinyurl.com/timesplittersHD
#72DBPanterAPosted 4/24/2013 6:15:14 PM
MegaWinFTW posted...
There is no defending the fee, there simply isn't. Plus Nintendo really should have had some form of account system in place before even offering digital sales.

The most hilarious part is that there are people insisting there'll be a fee for the PS4 when there quite obviously wont be. Sony already let you access PS1 Classics on the PS3, PSP and Vita with just one purchase with no added fees, and let you access downloaded PSP games on both PSP and Vita with one purchase with no added fees, why would they suddenly need to do so for the PS4?

Another thing, only the lack of PS3 BC was confirmed which, if you actually know how BC works, is quite understandable. PS1 and PS2 BC are as of yet unknown, and it's pretty likely to have PS1 support at least, and if they have that then PS1/2 Classics purchases on PSN would carry over too, only PS3 titles can't be used because the system can't play PS3 games. The amount of misinformation on this board is astounding.

Not sure what type of fee people are referring to in regards to Sony. I do not think it will be an item by item like Nintendo, which honestly is optional. However, I do feel Sony will charge a fee for access to all the games registered to someone's PSN account. Right now both Sony and Microsoft will do their best to sell their new consoles, and not tell folks about the how they will charge people for items. In fact, we haven't heard any prices for hardware of software, that will be in August/September, well after the buzz of E3. We are talking about the big 3 here who are in business to make money. Both Nintendo and Sony are aware of the money they literally are losing by not having a service similar to Microsoft and charging a similar amount.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#73MegaWinFTWPosted 4/24/2013 6:23:50 PM(edited)
DBPanterA posted...
MegaWinFTW posted...
There is no defending the fee, there simply isn't. Plus Nintendo really should have had some form of account system in place before even offering digital sales.

The most hilarious part is that there are people insisting there'll be a fee for the PS4 when there quite obviously wont be. Sony already let you access PS1 Classics on the PS3, PSP and Vita with just one purchase with no added fees, and let you access downloaded PSP games on both PSP and Vita with one purchase with no added fees, why would they suddenly need to do so for the PS4?

Another thing, only the lack of PS3 BC was confirmed which, if you actually know how BC works, is quite understandable. PS1 and PS2 BC are as of yet unknown, and it's pretty likely to have PS1 support at least, and if they have that then PS1/2 Classics purchases on PSN would carry over too, only PS3 titles can't be used because the system can't play PS3 games. The amount of misinformation on this board is astounding.

Not sure what type of fee people are referring to in regards to Sony. I do not think it will be an item by item like Nintendo, which honestly is optional. However, I do feel Sony will charge a fee for access to all the games registered to someone's PSN account. Right now both Sony and Microsoft will do their best to sell their new consoles, and not tell folks about the how they will charge people for items. In fact, we haven't heard any prices for hardware of software, that will be in August/September, well after the buzz of E3. We are talking about the big 3 here who are in business to make money. Both Nintendo and Sony are aware of the money they literally are losing by not having a service similar to Microsoft and charging a similar amount.

There is absolutely no reason for them to do that and there is no reason to even think they would, it comes across as wishful thinking to make this fee seem more reasonable. It's their business to make money, yes, but not to impose arbitrary and meaningless fees to let people access content they have already paid for. Sony have been good in this regard, why would a company that introduced Cross-Buy, a totally unnecessary but very welcome initiative, do something like that?

Oh and we have heard about PS4 game prices, they're the same as current gen games and the hardware isn't likely to exceed $450.

Microsoft got away with charging for Live because they managed to corner the market for anyone wanting to play online on a console, they no longer have that advantage, I doubt they'd manage to get away with it again. Besides Sony already have their own subscription model that is doing very well and doesn't lock out game features.
#74jillwarrenPosted 4/24/2013 7:57:37 PM
MegaWinFTW posted...

You are completely able to transfer all of your Wii virtual console games to the Wii-U and play them on the same emulator you purchased them for originally with all of their original features and your previous saves for free. There are no new fees. The Wii-U virtual console will use a different emulator and those games will offer additional features. If you already have a copy of the game, Nintendo will allow you access to these new features for an extremely nominal and reasonable fee.

This has nothing to do with Sony's cross platform ideal, because they are not offering new, better versions of the games. Sony has yet to do that, that I am aware of. Castlevania: Symphonia of the Night has the exact same content whichever version of the Playstation Store you buy it from. There are no improvements, the game is still the exact same game. You get the exact same thing from transferring the Wii titles to the Wii-U titles for the exact same price.

A fee to upgrade a game is completely reasonable, in that there is no preset president for this at all. This is not a patch, this is a new build of the game from the ground up. If Sony offers something similar with the PS4, it will be just as reasonable.

The ONLY problem I have with this is that the transfer erases your Wii, and since I still play my Wii I have no desire to do that. I fully agree that Nintendo could benefit from a universal account system, even though I don't think it is needed. A fee to get a new, upgraded version of a game has nothing to do with that.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#75MegaWinFTWPosted 4/25/2013 3:21:10 AM
What exactly are these upgrades? The off TV play? Then why can I play PS1 games on a PSP/Vita through remote play no problem?

Evidently it does need some kind of conversion but that shouldn't have been necessary in the first place, Nintendo having a patchwork attitude to their network and how VC games are run isn't an excuse to charge the end user.
#76fueled-systemPosted 4/25/2013 3:27:29 AM
jillwarren posted...
MegaWinFTW posted...

You are completely able to transfer all of your Wii virtual console games to the Wii-U and play them on the same emulator you purchased them for originally with all of their original features and your previous saves for free. There are no new fees. The Wii-U virtual console will use a different emulator and those games will offer additional features. If you already have a copy of the game, Nintendo will allow you access to these new features for an extremely nominal and reasonable fee.

This has nothing to do with Sony's cross platform ideal, because they are not offering new, better versions of the games. Sony has yet to do that, that I am aware of. Castlevania: Symphonia of the Night has the exact same content whichever version of the Playstation Store you buy it from. There are no improvements, the game is still the exact same game. You get the exact same thing from transferring the Wii titles to the Wii-U titles for the exact same price.

A fee to upgrade a game is completely reasonable, in that there is no preset president for this at all. This is not a patch, this is a new build of the game from the ground up. If Sony offers something similar with the PS4, it will be just as reasonable.

The ONLY problem I have with this is that the transfer erases your Wii, and since I still play my Wii I have no desire to do that. I fully agree that Nintendo could benefit from a universal account system, even though I don't think it is needed. A fee to get a new, upgraded version of a game has nothing to do with that.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, you clearly have not looked at sony's cross platform psn content
#77darkjedilinkPosted 4/25/2013 5:01:30 AM
When I bought my Megadeth Rust in Peace CD, I didn't get the Remixed and Remastered version for free when it launched as well.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#78jillwarrenPosted 4/25/2013 7:53:51 PM
MegaWinFTW posted...
What exactly are these upgrades? The off TV play? Then why can I play PS1 games on a PSP/Vita through remote play no problem?

Evidently it does need some kind of conversion but that shouldn't have been necessary in the first place, Nintendo having a patchwork attitude to their network and how VC games are run isn't an excuse to charge the end user.

Why should it have not been necessary? Because you say so?
---
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#79jillwarrenPosted 4/25/2013 7:56:10 PM
fueled-system posted...
jillwarren posted...
MegaWinFTW posted...

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, you clearly have not looked at sony's cross platform psn content

Are there two different digital versions of Freedom Unite? If there are, and you bought the lesser version, you get the upgraded version instead for free? I only saw 1 place for that game digitally; if there are two separate entries then please answer the above questions.
---
#80Baha05Posted 4/25/2013 7:59:48 PM
darkjedilink posted...
When I bought my Megadeth Rust in Peace CD, I didn't get the Remixed and Remastered version for free when it launched as well.

Different versions and different media. All VC is digital. There is zero excuses.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U