Wii U is in need of an universal achievement system

#31Faceman_Posted 4/24/2013 2:40:05 PM
Here's a better idea, every game needs achievements built into the game that unlock something when they're done, much the same way Brawl did achievements. Trophies and gamers score are the absolute stupidest thing to come out of this generation of games. Almost as stupid as paying real money for fake clothes.
#32IloveElitePosted 4/24/2013 2:40:20 PM
MegaWinFTW posted...
IloveElite posted...
no, No, NO!!!!

If you want that, go buy an xbox or ps3.

Achievements are pointless and a waste of development time.

You really think adding them takes up anywhere near a significant amount of development time? I've seen some flimsy arguments against them in my time but this is one of the worst.

They add replay value, many people like having them, there are no real downsides to them. It's just another example of Nintendo refusing to take advantage of a good idea because they didn't come up with it.

Reminds me of before the PS3 got trophies, how achievements were worthless until they suddenly weren't, I can guarantee we'd see the same here if Nintendo patched a system in. Most hate for them stems from the fact that they don't have them.

I don't care how long it takes, quite frankly if it takes 5 minutes its too damn long.

They are awful things.

if the old days, we used to buy games and we didn't need to be told how to have fun. ie 'kill 20 xxx' , 'walk backwards for xx', 'shoot something whilst in the air' etc etc etc.
We simply played the game and used our imagination to create our own goals, nowadays kiddies need to be hand-held and told what to do all the time. its a bit daft.

Horrible things indeed, gaming as suffered from them
(on more than one occasion I've seen people buy the most horrible and crap games SIMPLY because the achievements are very very easy to get. ) Pathetic.
---
NNID: Stevezen
Currently playing: MH3U and Lego City Undercover
#33Baha05Posted 4/24/2013 2:41:08 PM
No it doesn't need one. All the Universal System does is force achievements.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#34MegaWinFTWPosted 4/24/2013 2:46:08 PM
IloveElite posted...
MegaWinFTW posted...
IloveElite posted...
no, No, NO!!!!

If you want that, go buy an xbox or ps3.

Achievements are pointless and a waste of development time.

You really think adding them takes up anywhere near a significant amount of development time? I've seen some flimsy arguments against them in my time but this is one of the worst.

They add replay value, many people like having them, there are no real downsides to them. It's just another example of Nintendo refusing to take advantage of a good idea because they didn't come up with it.

Reminds me of before the PS3 got trophies, how achievements were worthless until they suddenly weren't, I can guarantee we'd see the same here if Nintendo patched a system in. Most hate for them stems from the fact that they don't have them.

I don't care how long it takes, quite frankly if it takes 5 minutes its too damn long.

They are awful things.

if the old days, we used to buy games and we didn't need to be told how to have fun. ie 'kill 20 xxx' , 'walk backwards for xx', 'shoot something whilst in the air' etc etc etc.
We simply played the game and used our imagination to create our own goals, nowadays kiddies need to be hand-held and told what to do all the time. its a bit daft.

Horrible things indeed, gaming as suffered from them
(on more than one occasion I've seen people buy the most horrible and crap games SIMPLY because the achievements are very very easy to get. ) Pathetic.

All I'm getting from this is that you would rather them not offer a popular feature that both their competitors have because you personally see no value in them even though they wouldn't negatively impact your experience due to some perceived superiority complex.

How has gaming suffered? You can't just assert that to try and justify your position. Don't play the "unlockables" card, I'm playing a game with unlockables and trophies right now, there's nothing stopping games having both and removing the achievements/trophies wouldn't magically add them either, if they aren't in a game then they were never going to be.

So what if someone buys games just to get them? Does that hurt you? It's their money they can do what they want, it isn't your place to tell them what they shouldn't find enjoyment in.
#35VideoGamer1990Posted 4/24/2013 3:01:28 PM
Achivements should be optional, not mandatory. After all, remember Sony and Capcom?

And even then, there really isn't much point to them. Points? Trophies? What for really? Some may have prizes with them(IIRC, a few achivements for PS3 have costumes or icons available when you get a Platinum), but really, the amount of achivements with prizes are very little to few. So really, when people say that achivements are for E-peen, they're not exactly lying, since that's what the majority of achivements are there for.

Also replayability is a bad reason. Cause really, after you finished the achivements, are you still going to replay the game? Cause if you felt the urge to complete the achivements not because the game was fun, but because you have to complete those achivements, then really, what is the point of replayability when you're never going to play it again after you've finished those achivements? Replayability should not be decided by achivements, but by how much you want to keep playing the game again after completing it.

And like I said, achivements should be optional or else Nintendo could end up with the same situation that Sony did with Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.
---
Not changing this sig until Breath of Fire VI gets announced.
Breath of Fire needs to stop resting and start waking up. People who agree: 52
#36jackorhoadsPosted 4/24/2013 3:05:10 PM
I wouldn't say its in need of an achievement system but if some people like it then whatever. If it does happen though I'd like the option (like on xbox/ps3) to turn the notification off :)
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#37CranberryPSOPosted 4/24/2013 6:13:18 PM
I despise the effect achievements have had on people and the utter arrogance and false self-importance it's put on people.

Just the other day I had someone bragging about how much better they perceive themselves to be at video games because they have more achievements than me, and saying I shouldn't question their skills because they have these ridiculous pointless achievements.

Wow! I'm so impressed because you shot a chicken in Fabul and got an achievement! Truly you are a great player!

No thank you. Frankly I'm glad the WiiU doesn't have achievements. I truly despise the way it makes people behave.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#38_Sovereign_Posted 4/24/2013 7:11:12 PM
If they tied it to your Club Nintendo account and brought in more lavish prizes, I'd be all for it! Or maybe trade X amount of points for X amount of digital credit.

Achievements are great for a completionist ( like myself), but offer little to no replayability to others. If they were to add value to the points it would turn this game on its head entirely.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.