I've been thinking of something for a while

#21IloveElitePosted 4/25/2013 2:25:18 PM
I'd say 2009 onwards it has gone in a descending spiral.

But then for me the golden age of gaming was the 80's. :)
---
NNID: Stevezen
Currently playing: MH3U and Lego City Undercover
#22trenkenPosted 4/25/2013 2:31:27 PM
It feels like it started shifting away from what I love about games when the Wii came out. After that, Sony and MS followed suit with this casual gaming trend, and this past gen for me was the absolute worst ever.

It has so few really great original games compared to all previous gens imo.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#23lionheart5656Posted 4/25/2013 2:37:07 PM
Hirokey123 posted...
When gaming became scene as a much more valuable market, which while nice meant every sleeze bucket in the worlds was going to try and get their grubby hands on it. Just like everything in the world the quality of something is ruined by greed.

When people became to so self entitled that they forgot what being grateful is and instead would rather tear down a game for its few faults than praise it for the vastly larger good points. Leaving basically all developers in a damned if they do damned if they don't case.

When the people who didn't know the difference between kid-accessible and kid-targeted drastically increased.

When gamers stopped being the target for gaming.

When review scores went from being a proper 1-10 to following a grade school grading system with 7 being average.

When DLC increased and encouraged micro-transactions rather than producing full complete products.

When handholding went to drastic levels to the point there is no way to balance it anymore.

*Inset any of the other opinions said over the years by people*

My personal opinion though is that gaming hasn't really fallen it's just taken a turn it probably shouldn't have. There have been numerous good things in gaming and they vastly out number the bad. It just happens that the few bad are the most loud and obnoxious things ever making them feel bigger than they are.

Not to sound like a hater, but i think a good amount of the things you listed here were started by either EA or Microsoft

That's not being a hater. That's a 100% fact.

Gaming was fine until the 360. Microsoft totally ruined the landscape by showing that casuals were easier to sell to, dumb enough not to check things, and ignorant enough to not know they were being ripped off.

Gamers became the niche market for gaming.

We'll see if that changes with the PS4, japanese developers coming to PC, and possibly Wii U.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#24UponADarkThornePosted 4/25/2013 2:45:47 PM
I selected 2006 and onward.

I wouldn't say, however, that gaming has really gone "downhill" as much as it took directions that it shouldn't have.

The first issue being the rise of AAA games. They look great and some of them are fantastic games but increased budgets mean that titles need to sell more copies in order to make a game profitable. This means that most games released need to target the largest demographic possible.

In theory, this is a good thing. Back in the day, I wanted everyone to play my favorite games. I still do - but I've grown to understand that some of the games I like aren't for everyone, especially role-playing games.

I can know the Baldur's Gate games like the back of my hand. I understand the combat system, the magic system, the game mechanics, and I know how to make an encounter that was hard for me back in the day easy; that's what fifteen years of experience does.

At the same time, it's not a very forgiving game. Explore too much on the first map and you'll encounter a dire wolf that will probably kill you. When you finally make your way to the Friendly Arm Inn, chances are you're going to be reloading a few times until you figure out that the game gives you an edge in the battle.

Games like that won't sell. They might have a niche market (as other "hard" games like Dark Souls) but when the game has a multi-million dollar budget, it won't get enough sales to make it profitable for the company. Thus, some genres suffer.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#25GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 3:02:20 PM
UponADarkThorne posted...
The first issue being the rise of AAA games. They look great and some of them are fantastic games but increased budgets mean that titles need to sell more copies in order to make a game profitable. This means that most games released need to target the largest demographic possible.

In theory, this is a good thing. Back in the day, I wanted everyone to play my favorite games. I still do - but I've grown to understand that some of the games I like aren't for everyone, especially role-playing games.

I can know the Baldur's Gate games like the back of my hand. I understand the combat system, the magic system, the game mechanics, and I know how to make an encounter that was hard for me back in the day easy; that's what fifteen years of experience does.

At the same time, it's not a very forgiving game. Explore too much on the first map and you'll encounter a dire wolf that will probably kill you. When you finally make your way to the Friendly Arm Inn, chances are you're going to be reloading a few times until you figure out that the game gives you an edge in the battle.

Games like that won't sell. They might have a niche market (as other "hard" games like Dark Souls) but when the game has a multi-million dollar budget, it won't get enough sales to make it profitable for the company. Thus, some genres suffer.

http://blog.excellentpresence.com/wp-content/uploads/man-points-up-1.jpg

this
---
Great Minecrafter? I need beta testers! http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1521811
#26selfdeztructionPosted 4/25/2013 3:15:46 PM
I think the overall quality has gone down because each generation of systems typically has more games that are released because games are getting easier to create and release.

A generation can easily be viewed as better with 100 high quality games and 10 crappy games but for some reason a generation is deemed bad if there is 100 good games and 100 bad ones.

I deem a console successful if there are enough good games to offset the price of the system and I've already paid over $400 for Wii U games and FAR beyond that for my 360,PS3 & Wii games.
---
XBL/PSN (PS3&vita)/Wii-U/Skype-selfdeztruction
Wii FC(HaVoK) 6605 3315 8599 4345 3DSXL FC(HaVoK) 3780 9281 5652 I'm no fanboy,I'm a dirty whore.OKC gamer
#27selfdeztructionPosted 4/25/2013 3:15:46 PM
I think the overall quality has gone down because each generation of systems typically has more games that are released because games are getting easier to create and release.

A generation can easily be viewed as better with 100 high quality games and 10 crappy games but for some reason a generation is deemed bad if there is 100 good games and 100 bad ones.

I deem a console successful if there are enough good games to offset the price of the system and I've already paid over $400 for Wii U games and FAR beyond that for my 360,PS3 & Wii games.
---
XBL/PSN (PS3&vita)/Wii-U/Skype-selfdeztruction
Wii FC(HaVoK) 6605 3315 8599 4345 3DSXL FC(HaVoK) 3780 9281 5652 I'm no fanboy,I'm a dirty whore.OKC gamer
#28CGoblinsPosted 4/25/2013 3:17:26 PM
After the PS2 and XBox.

When game graphics became what people judged games on first.
---
PSN: Ray-Martin82 Nintendo Network ID: RayMartin
Playing: Monster Hunter U and League of Legends
#29GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 3:29:14 PM
CGoblins posted...
After the PS2 and XBox.

When game graphics became what people judged games on first.

If i remember correctly, It seemed the race for the "best looking game" started around 2001-2002
---
Great Minecrafter? I need beta testers! http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1521811
#30BMD1990Posted 4/25/2013 3:33:46 PM
FayeLady posted...
when the people who mocked gaming started gaming

I never been able to accept this. I was picked on for playing an hour or two a day then fastforward a few years and those ******* go on 5/6 hour Halo/CoD nightly sessions
---
This is arkham arkham This is arkham arkham
The FedEx Knight will rise