Is the idea of fandom dying?

#11splodeymissilePosted 4/25/2013 12:13:25 PM
Oh, you weren't talking to me with that post, never mind.
---
I've seen the colour of my soul and it's black.
Nintendo network ID: missile
#12Boo Destroyer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 12:21:51 PM
Again, while I do appreciate wikis as solid information outlets, it seems that most communities' mindset have shifted along with said format. It's just that 'canon' is the only thing that fans care about anymore.
#13Boo Destroyer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 12:31:29 PM
Bump.

There are sites like Kirby's Rainbow Resort, which are still alive and well. The site itself is amazing with lots to do, but I can't say its forum is worth posting on, though.
#14BringerOfPiePosted 4/25/2013 12:55:39 PM(edited)
Not really about the topic at hand, but since MarioWiki was brought up, I cringe every time I'm on it and see a list of "References to other games" in which 80% of the things listed aren't actually references.

But on topic, I think before the turn of the century, you had a lot of small fansites popping up, most of them using crappy Geocities or Angelfire (remember THOSE?) templates. And a lot of those died out in a basic process of survival of the fittest. Remember the 10 billion Pokemon sites? Now everyone goes to Serebii, with Bulbagarden only able to hang around thanks to Bulbapedia. Then you have Pokebeach for TCG, Smogon for competitive, and that's pretty much it. Basically, the big fish feasted on the little fish. The Internet isn't the cool new thing anymore and so people are less eager to start their own fansites now that there's a monopoly.
#15Boo Destroyer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 1:42:44 PM
I've been well aware of that, but I'm just saying that the overall mindset has changed as much as the format has.

Yeah, I hate how a lot of 'fan sites' seem to have tried to become the next IGN or Gamespot or wannabe Micheal Pachter. Isn't the point of a fan site to be... well, fans of something?
#16Boo Destroyer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 2:58:33 PM
BringerOfPie posted...
Not really about the topic at hand, but since MarioWiki was brought up, I cringe every time I'm on it and see a list of "References to other games" in which 80% of the things listed aren't actually references.

Like I said, MarioWiki has always been poorly written like that. There's more to it than just that, you know.

(Had to bump this to fight past the several pointless "No Nintendo at E3 WTF????" topics)