You know what I think would have been a better name

#21SlimeSwayzePosted 4/26/2013 9:37:59 PM
That should have been the console they released 7 years ago. I actually think that would have been great. It probably wouldn't have been as successful as the Wii, but I honestly don't care. I think it would have done well enough, and I know I would have loved playing Nintendo games with more traditional controls and in HD much more than using the wii-mote.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#22ImGanondorfLolPosted 4/26/2013 9:52:56 PM(edited)
I dunno about that, it's like they're bragging about something that had become standard a while ago. Being HD is important, but it's not the main draw, it was something was mandatory. The gamepad is the main draw. I think Nintendo Stream wasn't so bad, but given more time we could probably think of a better name.
#231shadetail1Posted 4/27/2013 6:46:11 AM
ImGanondorfLol posted...
I dunno about that, it's like they're bragging about something that had become standard a while ago. Being HD is important, but it's not the main draw, it was something was mandatory. The gamepad is the main draw. I think Nintendo Stream wasn't so bad, but given more time we could probably think of a better name.

"Nintendo Stream" would have inevitably lead to "they're pissing on us" jokes. :)
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#24VanderZoo(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 6:55:42 AM
SkyCrackers posted...
Congratulations, you found the one worse name than Wii U!

No, seriously, that is a terrible name. Why would you name a console after a resolution? Why would Nintendo want to center their console's image around its flimsy HD capabilities? That would just make them it seem pathetic in comparison to the PS4 and XBOX3.

It's not a bad name, most people in this topic said it was great. And why name a console after a resolution? First off, Nintendo named a console after the amount of bits it had, so HD is less of a stretch than that.

And why would they name it HD? Because it shows this is a HD Nintendo console. It's clear and simple, and denotes a jump forward from the Wii. Lastly, it's a great title because it sounds good. Nintendo HD, it has a good ring to it, and we get Nintendo in the title, many fans say they like Nintendo consoles when they have 'Nintendo' in the title.

It's a lot better than Wii U. What does that mean? Wii is for everyone, U is for the hardcore gamer... you think that meaning is understood among the masses? It's obviously not, people think Wii U is a peripheral, that's a mistake that wouldn't be made with a more distinct name like Nintendo HD.
---
Man of Steel - 14.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#25TheMisfitPosted 4/30/2013 7:33:18 AM(edited)
HD is basically a standard in gaming now and has been for 6+ years. Using the HD acronym instantly dates the console. It made sense with the 3DS since no other handheld console offered this feature. And the n64 was the first 'true' 64 bit home console.

The Wii U gets enough criticism for being released too late and being behind in tech...adding HD to the console name would be like adding gas to a burning fire.

---
GameFAQs fanboy for 11 years.
#26VanderZoo(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 9:15:23 PM
TheMisfit posted...
HD is basically a standard in gaming now and has been for 6+ years. Using the HD acronym instantly dates the console. It made sense with the 3DS since no other handheld console offered this feature. And the n64 was the first 'true' 64 bit home console.

The Wii U gets enough criticism for being released too late and being behind in tech...adding HD to the console name would be like adding gas to a burning fire.

But it's true, it is Nintendo's first HD console, there's no getting around that, people know it. There's no shame in saying "hey, this is Nintendo's latest console, and it's HD". And again, it's a lot more clear than Wii U, so at this point really any name would work better that that.

And I don't think anyone cares that the 64 was the first true 64 bit console, no one even knew what that meant, it was an abstract number/name. You could have asked anyone back in the day:

"what does N64 mean?"
"It means it has 64 bit" (if they were semi-informed, most people probably didn't even know that)
"and what does bit mean?"
"ahh, I don't know, it can do 64 bit graphics?"
---
Man of Steel - 14.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#27TheCelticArcherPosted 4/30/2013 9:19:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyT1AC5PiGM
I still think Super Wii would be better.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2, Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Banjo-Kazooie (360), Darksiders II (Wii U), & Need for Speed Most Wanted U.
#28TheMisfitPosted 5/1/2013 6:36:29 AM
VanderZoo posted...
TheMisfit posted...

But it's true, it is Nintendo's first HD console, there's no getting around that, people know it. There's no shame in saying "hey, this is Nintendo's latest console, and it's HD". And again, it's a lot more clear than Wii U, so at this point really any name would work better that that.

And I don't think anyone cares that the 64 was the first true 64 bit console, no one even knew what that meant, it was an abstract number/name. You could have asked anyone back in the day:

"what does N64 mean?"
"It means it has 64 bit" (if they were semi-informed, most people probably didn't even know that)
"and what does bit mean?"
"ahh, I don't know, it can do 64 bit graphics?"

Me being in my early teens when the N64 came out, everyone in my school knew what the 64 meant, it was definitely an acronym purposely used to showcase the consoles power, especially after the 16 bit era. 64 sounded like a beast. Full 3D gaming was the hot thing, and Nintendo had the beefiest console for pushing out polygons. But it was a different market then. Sega was their only threat in their eyes, as Sony was still the newcomer as Nintendo battled them in court over the Playstation.

I get your point, but I don't agree with it. Yes it's Nintendo's first HD console, but it's already behind in resolution. 1440p is starting to become the new standard for gaming (not 720/1080p). And it has been for awhile in PC, and will be for the other next gen consoles.

Nintendo gave up on trying to be the most powerful, but I like it this way. The Wii was an awesome console, because of it. Nintendo focused on the experience instead of the tech. They want to do the same with the Wii U. From a marketing standpoint using HD as a console title contradicts what Nintendo is trying to focus on. However, I will agree the Wii U is not a good console name. But I also thought that Wii sounded terrible, now look at it.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 11 years.
#29trenkenPosted 5/1/2013 6:43:09 AM
VanderZoo posted...
Nintendo HD. Simple, to the point, harkens back a little to Nintendo 64.

Basically the most unmemorable name ever. If youve taken marketing classes, you would get an F for this suggestion. The whole point behind branding is to make it something original that would stick in peoples heads.

The Wii is a ridiculous name when you think about it, but the fact that its ridiculous is the very thing that makes it impossible to forget. It's such an unusual name. When I think of Nintendo HD, its just too common. Horrible name to brand a system with that you want to stick out.

Plus, the name alone shows how behind Nintendo really are. HD started a long time ago, and Sony and MS have been on board for many years. Nintendo is just getting into it now.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#30trenkenPosted 5/1/2013 6:44:00 AM
Nintendo 64 worked because of the unusual number. It wasnt nearly as common as HD. To me Nintendo HD is no better than calling a game console the Nintendo Console. Its forgettable.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero