Wii U virtual console in 16:9?

#1kvmerPosted 4/26/2013 7:41:32 AM
So, let me get this straight. On the Wii, Virtual Console games pretty much forced you to play in 16:9. Which was fine for me, but people who wanted to play the games in its original 4:3 ratio, had to mess around with their tv in order to be able to play like that.

Now the Wii U is here, and we have the opposite. Games are played in 4:3 and there doesn't seem to be a way to stretch the screen. I personally like the stretching and hate the black borders on the screen, especially on the Gamepad.

Are you really telling me there is NO option to stretch the screen? Really???? Even the Game Boy Advance had NO problems stretching the screen of GB and GBC games with the simple press of a button. Jesus Christ Nintendo.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: 1633-5459-1988
#2iceachePosted 4/26/2013 7:47:27 AM
Why would you want to?
#3LordPonchoPosted 4/26/2013 7:48:07 AM
Why would you want to stretch games that old?
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#4kvmer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 7:51:52 AM
As I said, I hate the huge black borders on the sides of the screen. And I really think these games look fine stretched, had no problems with it on the Wii Virtual Console.

The GBA could do it with old GB games. Why on Earth is this not an option here?

People who are going to defend Nintendo for not including an extremely simple option that thousands of people will sorely miss... Get out.
---
#5DiscomasterPosted 4/26/2013 7:52:31 AM
Nothing currently, but that doesn't mean they may not implement a feature later on. Could always post on Miiverse to try to get some attention or email Nintendo. If enough people remark on it, especially on Miiverse, it'll probably happen.

...As long as it's an option. I actually prefer playing with the native resolution and the black bars don't bother me at all. Image stretching bothers me. :P
#6LordPonchoPosted 4/26/2013 7:53:26 AM
kvmer posted...
As I said, I hate the huge black borders on the sides of the screen. And I really think these games look fine stretched, had no problems with it on the Wii Virtual Console.

People who are going to defend Nintendo for not including an extremely simple option that thousands of people will sorely miss... Get out.

The Wii wasn't in HD, and therefore used less pixels. The stretch would be terrible in HD.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#7kvmer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 7:56:48 AM
Discomaster posted...
Nothing currently, but that doesn't mean they may not implement a feature later on. Could always post on Miiverse to try to get some attention or email Nintendo. If enough people remark on it, especially on Miiverse, it'll probably happen.

...As long as it's an option. I actually prefer playing with the native resolution and the black bars don't bother me at all. Image stretching bothers me. :P

I can perfectly understand that people are bothered by image stretching. But it's also perfectly understandable that other people are bothered by black borders.

Nintendo forced people to play into 16:9 with the Wii, without adding the OPTION to play in 4:3. Now Nintendo forces people to play into 4:3, without adding the option to play in 16:9. Are they doing this on purpose, or are they really this incompetent?

I've been playing Nintendo games for over 20 years. I have pretty much every single console, except the original NES. I love my Wii U. But these idiotic things are starting to get absolutely ridiculous. I honestly genuinely hate playing VC games on a huge TV, when half of the screen is covered in black.
---
#8kvmer(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 7:59:32 AM
LordPoncho posted...
kvmer posted...

The Wii wasn't in HD, and therefore used less pixels. The stretch would be terrible in HD.

Kirby's Adventure looks perfectly fine in HD. A little stretching wouldn't be terrible, at all.

I'm sick of people defending Nintendo when they absolutely don't deserve it. All I'm asking is a simple option. Like with the GBA. You could just press L or R to switch between widescreen or normal ratio. That's how simple it is. Forcing people either way is nonsense.
---
#9DarkIVloonPosted 4/26/2013 8:00:28 AM
playing 4:3 games in 16:9 is not good.
---
Gotta get em' all, shmupmon!
#10tizzywilkillyouPosted 4/26/2013 8:00:43 AM
kvmer posted...
But it's also perfectly understandable that other people are bothered by black borders.

No it's not. Not when the cost is stretching a 4:3 image. It looks absolutely TERRIBLE. I suppose people have preferences, but the stretching looks downright awful and I absolutely can't understand how anyone would prefer that.

The Wii never bothered me; pressed one button my TV remote to squash it back down to the native aspect ratio.