Can't download VC titles for discounted price unless System Transfer?

#21Taplamp(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 10:29:07 AM
icarus231 posted...
icarus231 posted...
I will restate how.

Say you sold your wii with all the software on it, then technically you no longer own it someone else does. Why should you get to have it again for a dollar when you made money off selling it?

But with an account system, the one that I'm speaking about, the software you purchased is tied to your account, not the system.

So using your analogy had nothing to do with an account based system for maintaining your purchases. If I sold my Wii to someone, but not my account, they wouldn't have the software tied to my account. I got your point before, but I'm talking about account based systems now.
---
Just so no assumptions are made, I'm a happily married 25 yr old vegetarian male that refurbishes antique gaming consoles for fun.
#22icarus231Posted 4/26/2013 10:34:04 AM
Taplamp posted...
icarus231 posted...
icarus231 posted...
I will restate how.

Say you sold your wii with all the software on it, then technically you no longer own it someone else does. Why should you get to have it again for a dollar when you made money off selling it?

But with an account system, the one that I'm speaking about, the software you purchased is tied to your account, not the system.

So using your analogy had nothing to do with an account based system for maintaining your purchases. If I sold my Wii to someone, but not my account, they wouldn't have the software tied to my account. I got your point before, but I'm talking about account based systems now.

I get what your saying but thats not how nintendo rolls.
#23Taplamp(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 10:38:04 AM
icarus231 posted...
Taplamp posted...
icarus231 posted...
icarus231 posted...
I will restate how.

I get what your saying but thats not how nintendo rolls.

Well, as a customer, I can still hope. lol
---
Just so no assumptions are made, I'm a happily married 25 yr old vegetarian male that refurbishes antique gaming consoles for fun.
#24IlikeBacon16Posted 4/26/2013 10:38:07 AM
I did the transfer a few months ago. But I will still use my Wii to play my Wii and GC games. I now have 2 Brawl files! :D Wii U's Wii mode will be for my WiiWare and VC games I chose not to get an upgraded version for. My Wii shall still be played! ^_^
#25PrinceOfHotPosted 4/26/2013 10:46:21 AM
Well I used to feel the same way when i was younger. Then I did a system transfer and my old Wii was so sad, but the system transfer is pretty and it shows pikmin going into your Wii, getting your games and going into space ships to fly them to your Wii U. Then I gave my Wii to my sister...lol. Made a nice economical B-DAY present!
#26PrinceOfHotPosted 4/26/2013 10:48:10 AM
STN79 posted...
I'm having the same problem as you TC. My original Wii has over 300 VC games downloaded and i'll be damned if i'm transferring all that. Plus i too don't want my previous system to be an empty husk that can't be used for my old games anymore. I doubt i'll be rebuying any VC games i already got the first time around if i have to pay full price again.
I might make exceptions depending on the game though. Still this is pretty stupid.

Not if remote playing SNES games on the gamepad doesn't appeal to you. XD
#27DiscostewSMPosted 4/26/2013 10:48:17 AM
What if you had 2 Wiis and had the same game on both? How would it know which to transfer to the Wii U? The Wii is using an archaic structure for digital content, locking everything to the system rather than an account, and even your CN account doesn't specify which Wii your purchases are made on. It's just a log like you said. It only knows you made purchases, and keeps a record with matching unique signatures to your Wii, not revealed to the user. The reason why they went with this method for the Wii U and "upgrading" Wii VC is because that method is able to give information to Nintendo to allow the transfer without the user having to deal with anything complicated, since it would have those signatures for both Wii U and Wii-mode. Nintendo plans to utilize an account system in the future for the Wii U, but that won't fix the archaic structure the Wii uses, nor will Nintendo go through any steps to try and change this for the Wii when the Wii is basically dead now.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#28xbs2034Posted 4/26/2013 11:26:14 AM
I agree it is lame, since I'm sure they could do that, and I don't want to make the Wii a shell either (like having the gamecube support and am a bit worried something would go wrong with the transfer and could lose the games, particularly with the DKC games which were pulled from the VC). But at least Super Mario World and Super Metroid are the only two ones I have which have been announced for the new Wii U features, and the latter will be 30 cents anyway, so it isn't like I'm missing out on a lot with them right now.