Virtual Console Question

#17thmagiPosted 4/26/2013 9:56:12 AM
Does the discount on VC games absolutely require a system transfer?
Or can I just go and buy say... Super Mario World on my Wii U through the Wii mode for 800 Wii Points, and then go to the eShop and download it for $1.50? That way I don't have to do a system transfer, but my Wii U can have it on both it's Wii U menu and its Wii menu.
Does anyone know if this plan works?

Part of the reason I want to do this is because I have way more wii points lying around that need to get spent.
---
http://z11.invisionfree.com/RealityRevolution/index.php?act=idx
Like Pokemon? Like Dreams? Want to enjoy the friendship of a small community? Stop by.
#2MichaelDeAngeloPosted 4/26/2013 9:57:15 AM
That sounds like it would work. The upgrade just looks at your license, from what I understood about it.
---
Alundra is the best top-down Zelda game since Link to the Past.
Darksiders is the best 3D Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.
#3DoomsSDPosted 4/26/2013 9:59:12 AM
Might be worth a try
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#4icarus231Posted 4/26/2013 10:05:48 AM
I think they will make you transfer for the following reason. Say you bought 100 games from the wii vc. Then sold your wii with all the games. You no longer own the games and charged money to give them to the new owner. It really isnt in their best interest to let you get the games again for next to nothing since you no longer own them.
#57thmagi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 10:10:34 AM
icarus231 posted...
I think they will make you transfer for the following reason. Say you bought 100 games from the wii vc. Then sold your wii with all the games. You no longer own the games and charged money to give them to the new owner. It really isnt in their best interest to let you get the games again for next to nothing since you no longer own them.

I have a feeling you're misunderstanding. I was asking about buying both versions through the Wii U. I would still own 2 copies of the game. First, I download from the WII SHOP to the WII U. So I have it on my Wii U's Wii Menu. Then I go and find the game on the WII U eShop. Will I get the discount?
---
Like Pokemon? Like Dreams? Want to enjoy the friendship of a small community? Stop by.
#6Banjo2553Posted 4/26/2013 10:11:10 AM
I was going to say why would you spend more money to do this, but then I saw that you had Wii Points you needed to spend.

It's worth a shot, I have a feeling it'll work.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#7KayubePosted 4/26/2013 10:11:14 AM
That's not applicable to the situation he's talking about. He's wondering if you get the discount just for having the game on Wii Mode, not specifically for having had it on the Wii and then transferring it.

I would assume it is possible to get the discount, since otherwise it would be more a reward for having had a Wii, and less a way of softening the blow of having to buy games twice (once to get it before it comes to Wii U VC, and again when it does come out).
---
This signature intentionally left blank.
#8ska_dude101Posted 4/26/2013 10:12:14 AM
If you decide to give it a shot, please let us know how it works out. I'm curious.
#9icarus231Posted 4/26/2013 10:13:23 AM
7thmagi posted...
icarus231 posted...

I have a feeling you're misunderstanding. I was asking about buying both versions through the Wii U. I would still own 2 copies of the game. First, I download from the WII SHOP to the WII U. So I have it on my Wii U's Wii Menu. Then I go and find the game on the WII U eShop. Will I get the discount?

Oh your original will most likely stay in the wii mode. I thought you wanted it on the wii and wii u
#107thmagi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 10:14:45 AM
Another reason for doing it would be so I feel safe downloading the games that are already out on the Wii shop so I can play them through wii mode, and then just upgrade them cheaply when they come out with off screen play and stuff. Since it seems no one here has actually tested it, I think I'll see if I can get a Nintendo rep to answer via email.
---