Virtual Console Question

#11ska_dude101Posted 4/26/2013 10:32:15 AM
7thmagi posted...
Another reason for doing it would be so I feel safe downloading the games that are already out on the Wii shop so I can play them through wii mode, and then just upgrade them cheaply when they come out with off screen play and stuff.

Yes, I would do it too if I knew that I didn't have to pay full price once they finally get released on Wii U VC.
#12icarus231Posted 4/26/2013 10:37:40 AM
7thmagi posted...
Another reason for doing it would be so I feel safe downloading the games that are already out on the Wii shop so I can play them through wii mode, and then just upgrade them cheaply when they come out with off screen play and stuff. Since it seems no one here has actually tested it, I think I'll see if I can get a Nintendo rep to answer via email.

Any game you buy from the wii eshop you can upgrade when and if available.
#137thmagi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 1:42:27 PM
I asked Nintendo Customer Service and just got this response:

Hello,

Thank you for writing. It's great to hear that you're interested in the Virtual Console content on the Wii U! To answer your question, there are two ways you can qualify for the discounted version of a Virtual Console Game:

1) The game must be purchased on a Wii then transferred over to the Wii U system.

2) The game must be purchased from the Wii Shop on the Wii U.

So to answer your question, yes you can purchase a game from the Wii Shop on the Wii U, then purchase it again at the discounted price via the Wii U eShop for the discount. As such, to qualify for the discount the Wii U looks to see if you have a copy of the game in Wii Mode.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Sounds like my original plan will work!
---
http://z11.invisionfree.com/RealityRevolution/index.php?act=idx
Like Pokemon? Like Dreams? Want to enjoy the friendship of a small community? Stop by.
#14PlaysaverPosted 4/26/2013 9:19:51 PM
Wouldn't it cost you more in the long run?
I don't understand why you want to buy the wii version just so you can get a discount that will make your game cost more when you add the cost of the wii version you need to have to get that discount.
Cost of wii verison of Super Mario world for Wii is 800 wii points In the usa that's 8 dollars.
Cost of Wii U version when you don't have the wii version is also about 8 dollars again.
So you could just get the Wii U verison of that game and only pay about 8 dollars for it.
Or you can download the Wii version onto your Wii U's Wii vc for 8 dollars and then pay 1dollar and 50 cents to upgrade that to the Wii U version and pay a total of 9 dollars and 50cents.
Unless you had transfered that game from a wii to your wii u or had bought it on your wii u's wii vc before they said they were going to have a Wii U version, there is no reason to download the wii verison at all. And the only reason to pay the 1.50 for to upgrade a version you have is for what is a better picture for the Wii U version. (plus a save state option and the ablity to remap your buttons on the Wii U version)
If you don't already have Super Mario world then only buy the Wii U version and save a 1.50.
#157thmagi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 9:54:40 PM
Playsaver posted...
Wouldn't it cost you more in the long run?
I don't understand why you want to buy the wii version just so you can get a discount that will make your game cost more when you add the cost of the wii version you need to have to get that discount.
Cost of wii verison of Super Mario world for Wii is 800 wii points In the usa that's 8 dollars.
Cost of Wii U version when you don't have the wii version is also about 8 dollars again.
So you could just get the Wii U verison of that game and only pay about 8 dollars for it.
Or you can download the Wii version onto your Wii U's Wii vc for 8 dollars and then pay 1dollar and 50 cents to upgrade that to the Wii U version and pay a total of 9 dollars and 50cents.
Unless you had transfered that game from a wii to your wii u or had bought it on your wii u's wii vc before they said they were going to have a Wii U version, there is no reason to download the wii verison at all. And the only reason to pay the 1.50 for to upgrade a version you have is for what is a better picture for the Wii U version. (plus a save state option and the ablity to remap your buttons on the Wii U version)
If you don't already have Super Mario world then only buy the Wii U version and save a 1.50.

One reason is that I can purchase games via the Wii Menu that aren't out yet, like Super Mario Kart. I can play them with no special Wii U features, but I can play them now. When they do get released, I'll pay the extra buck 50 to upgrade.
---
http://z11.invisionfree.com/RealityRevolution/index.php?act=idx
Like Pokemon? Like Dreams? Want to enjoy the friendship of a small community? Stop by.