So NES games are $5, SNES games are $8, wonder if that'll make N64 games $10

#71DorotimusWitikPosted 4/26/2013 9:23:47 PM
What I personally find offensive about the virtual console pricing scheme is that a great game like Super Mario World is 8 dollars while a piece of crap like Pokemon Puzzle League is 10 dollars. The idea that the platform denotes the value just boggles my mind.

Virtual Console kinda sucks ass in general though. To this day only 67 SNES games are available for the Wii virtual console, so you aren't even talking about 10% of the library being available. It's really not a worthy platform for building a respectable collection.
#72FuzzyJelloPosted 4/26/2013 9:24:18 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Xenesis Xenon posted...
FuzzyJello posted...
I would imagine Nintendo would be afraid of breeding a "If it's not 50%-75% I won't buy" mentality any farther than Steam already has. And I say this as a Steam user, who, guess what, rarely buys stuff that's not on sale. That said, yes, they absolutely should have some sale system going, if only because it is a great way to get players to actively follow the service, but any regular Steam user should understand why Nintendo would want to avoid that model. Particularly when most games are in the single-digit price range by default, something that is usually a big deal on Steam.

And yet that mentality results in most developers (and Valve itself) making far, far more money than any other online Digital Distribution platform the console makers have come up with.

From what I've read, most indie devs that have had a game on steam make as much, if not more money during a steam sale than they did on their games' initial releases.

Exactly. Those sales get people to buy games they otherwise would have never bought at all, which leads to revenue that would never have existed otherwise. With the Wii U VC prices, I know I won't be buying any of those games unless there is a sale.

Guess it's the question of how much sale revenue is calculated loss (Deliberately waiting for sales, thus a lost full-price purchase) versus real impulse buys. What I wonder about Nintendo, though, is how much control third parties are going to get over their pricing, as aside from server maintenance costs, which are a thing, the VC is basically pure profit for Nintendo, unlike a service like Steam which emphasizes new releases alongside old titles. We'll see.
#73ClaytronicPosted 4/27/2013 11:06:37 AM
El_Dustino posted...
Wait, if the prices have not gone up, then why do we have to pay the update fee if we already bought the game at the same price (actually more, inflation considered)?

That's... actually a really good point.

If you imported a VC game from the Wii to play it on the Wii U (with the Wii U-specific additional features enabled), then it costs more than it does to simply purchase it on the Wii U.

That doesn't seem right. Especially when you consider that it's basically punishing early (loyal) adopters of VC games from the past six years. Huh.

Am I missing something here?
---
A friend of mine thought that he had an NES toploader, until I informed him that it was a Super NES.
#74FuzzyJelloPosted 4/29/2013 6:50:35 PM
Claytronic posted...
That's... actually a really good point.

If you imported a VC game from the Wii to play it on the Wii U (with the Wii U-specific additional features enabled), then it costs more than it does to simply purchase it on the Wii U.

That doesn't seem right. Especially when you consider that it's basically punishing early (loyal) adopters of VC games from the past six years. Huh.

Am I missing something here?

I think it's not unfair to note that if you put it in terms of VC superfans who were downloading day 1, they made those initial purchases years ago. I'd almost compare it to updating movie collections to new home formats; that you bought the DVD of a movie for $20~30 6 years ago doesn't entitle you to the Blu-Ray just because it's the same movie. Particularly in the Wii U VC's case when the upgrade cost is the lowest monetary value the service can register, at least for NES games.

DorotimusWitik posted...
What I personally find offensive about the virtual console pricing scheme is that a great game like Super Mario World is 8 dollars while a piece of crap like Pokemon Puzzle League is 10 dollars. The idea that the platform denotes the value just boggles my mind.

Other problem is quality is relative; get two people together for whom Pokemon Puzzle League really clicks and you could easily get $10 out of it. It's not like it's a terribad game, in any event.
#75Jacob46719Posted 4/29/2013 7:51:03 PM
YamiYugi4400 posted...
So i wonder if gamecube will be $13-$15

nonono, it's probly gonna be N64 $13, GCN $21, if we're unlucky
---
Currently Playing: Skyrim, Littlebigplanet 2, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, 007 Legends, StarCraft 2
#76LordrvPosted 4/29/2013 10:35:53 PM
All those games should be 10 for a dollar lol