Was the Wii U released too early?

#1thisguy12Posted 4/26/2013 12:00:59 PM
The virtual console was released months after the Wii U launch.
Also there are many slow loading times and absent apps that I keep hearing about...
AND the video game library isn't anything spectacular.

If I'm not mistaken, has the Wii U been rushed to release months before the Xbox 720/PS4 announcements?

The Wii U is the first Nintendo console I haven't bought at launch so I'm curious.

Hopefully there will be a price drop or some epic games like Super Smash Bros. that will be released soon.

Although the Xbox 720 that will be announced in May might blow the Wii U out of the water if the console releases super HD augmented reality glasses...I CAN'T WAIT!
#2MR_Smarty_PantsPosted 4/26/2013 12:26:02 PM
It's not Nintendo's fault they had to rush the system out with no real game library in the works and a poorly optimized operating system. They knew if they launched the console around the same time as Sony and Microsoft's consoles, that they'd get smoked. I mean, ya think sales numbers are bad now? Just imagine if they had more then just last gen competition to deal with.
---
Proud owner of the Wii U!
#3arvilinoPosted 4/26/2013 12:29:23 PM
If they missed the Holiday season for the launch wouldn't that have negatively impacted the system even more?

If you were to buy it at launch what would you think would have been the most appropriate release date?
#4thisguy12(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 12:46:18 PM
MR_Smarty_Pants posted...
It's not Nintendo's fault they had to rush the system out with no real game library in the works and a poorly optimized operating system. They knew if they launched the console around the same time as Sony and Microsoft's consoles, that they'd get smoked. I mean, ya think sales numbers are bad now? Just imagine if they had more then just last gen competition to deal with.

It IS Nintendo's responsibility to make a real game library and a good optimized operating system.

The Wii U is competing poorly with the Xbox 360/PS3 and Nintendo is to blame.

I understand that the Wii U wanted a head start before the other competitors, but damn the Xbox 720/PS4 may pose a real threat to Nintendo...

The Wii could have lasted another year. The console just feels rushed...
#5NCPwnPosted 4/26/2013 12:56:17 PM
I think most people only buy Nintendo for their 1st Party franchises that they milk or (we as fans wish they would milk) Star Fox 64!

I know I am. So when they have a small library why would people buy this console? It's not like I need it for TV, Internet, Facebook etc..... My laptop/Ipad does that just fine.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#6AlexPumaPosted 4/26/2013 12:57:48 PM
On one hand, they did rush it too soon for reasons already stated. On the other, they didn't, because the Wii was dead in the water with only a tiny trickle of games worth owning being released.

Now, how the heck could they allow the Wii's last two years be deserts, then release the Wii U and still not have much ready for the first 6 months of its life... meanwhile the 3DS gets a ton of games, some of which would have been better on a console such as Kid Icarus. It seems that Nintendo wants to drop out of the console race and focus completely on handhelds. It'll be a shame if they did, since I've never liked handheld gaming.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#7CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 4/26/2013 1:02:43 PM
Prematurely, yes.
Too early? no.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#8thisguy12(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 1:05:14 PM
AlexPuma posted...
On one hand, they did rush it too soon for reasons already stated. On the other, they didn't, because the Wii was dead in the water with only a tiny trickle of games worth owning being released.

Now, how the heck could they allow the Wii's last two years be deserts, then release the Wii U and still not have much ready for the first 6 months of its life... meanwhile the 3DS gets a ton of games, some of which would have been better on a console such as Kid Icarus. It seems that Nintendo wants to drop out of the console race and focus completely on handhelds. It'll be a shame if they did, since I've never liked handheld gaming.

I think Nintendo is really innovative when it comes to handheld gaming. I personally love playing Pokemon and Animal Crossing on the go and have the best memories from playing the DS.

Honestly, the home console market is way too competitive. With Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo just can't keep up (for now, hopefully).
Although the only competitor that the 3DS has in the handheld market is the Vita, which sucks and has poor sales.

I REALLY hope Nintendo just focuses on innovative handheld gaming. They've always shined in that department.
#9Elements012894Posted 4/26/2013 1:06:30 PM
honestly if the bumped the specs just a tad more (Near PS4 graphics but at 720p) and released closer to the PS4 launch it would've been made more clear to the world what exactly the WiiU is and that its competing with next gen rather then current.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#10thisguy12(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 1:07:36 PM
Elements012894 posted...
honestly if the bumped the specs just a tad more (Near PS4 graphics but at 720p) and released closer to the PS4 launch it would've been made more clear to the world what exactly the WiiU is and that its competing with next gen rather then current.

AND if the Wii U was named something entirely new. Seriously, the name Wii U is just really dumb. People think the console is just an update.