Why was the WiiU released without any of its major franchises?

#21squatch22Posted 4/26/2013 3:18:33 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Nintendo's focus this generation was to create trusting relationships with third parties. Both with the 3DS and Wii U Nintendo did the same thing, and both times third parties dropped the ball. Nintendo can easily fix the Wii U and third parties could flock to it in greater numbers than they are now, but they obviously can't do what Nintendoes.

Exactly.
And i said after 3rd party devs stabbed Nintendo in the back at 3DS launch that Nintendo should let them rot.
---
Nintendo: Leading the way for others to follow.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#22P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 4/26/2013 3:18:52 PM
ExtremelyFatGuy posted...
1shadetail1 posted...
TheSteelPhoenix posted...
Was there some strategy I was not aware of?

They were pushing third-party support pretty hard. And they were very overt about that.

Also, too many releases at once waters down the sales. They need to pace things or many of the games will get lost in the crush.

=====

BTW, 2D Mario doesn't count. This is 2013 people, that's a downloadable game on the other consoles.

You saw it here first, folks. Even though single 2D Mario games tend to out-sell *entire series*, it "doesn't count".

So Nintendo is going to survive on 2D mario when that sort of dated technology isn't acceptable for retail titles on other consoles? I don't see that happening. This sort of thinking is contributing to Nintendo's long term decline in the face of competition from Sony and Microsoft AND tablets/smartphones/etc. Once again, think LONG TERM here.

NSMB-29.09mil
NSMBWii-26.26mil
NSMB2-6.42mil
NSMBU-2.15mil
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Arkham City, Monster Hunter 3U
#23AhnoldDoodPosted 4/26/2013 3:20:49 PM
1shadetail1 posted...

They were pushing third-party support pretty hard. And they were very overt about that.

Also, too many releases at once waters down the sales. They need to pace things or many of the games will get lost in the crush.

=====

BTW, 2D Mario doesn't count. This is 2013 people, that's a downloadable game on the other consoles.

You saw it here first, folks. Even though single 2D Mario games tend to out-sell *entire series*, it "doesn't count".

So Nintendo is going to survive on 2D mario when that sort of dated technology isn't acceptable for retail titles on other consoles? I don't see that happening. This sort of thinking is contributing to Nintendo's long term decline in the face of competition from Sony and Microsoft AND tablets/smartphones/etc. Once again, think LONG TERM here.

NSMBDS and Wii are one of the best-selling games on their respective consoles. NSMB2 is outselling 3D Land and Kart 7. NSMBU has an absolutely insane attatch rate (over 1 million out of 3 million console sold). Your crap is irrelevant.
#24doshindudePosted 4/26/2013 3:33:55 PM
YamiYugi4400 posted...
it has mario

NSMB has been whored out with crap games for so long that it doesn't count.
---
"I see the GameFAQs community is as helpful and friendly as it ever has been." --pikpikcarrotmon
#25squatch22Posted 4/26/2013 3:35:28 PM
doshindude posted...
YamiYugi4400 posted...
it has mario

Because u dont like a game, doesn't make it crap...
---
Nintendo: Leading the way for others to follow.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#26ExtremelyFatGuyPosted 4/26/2013 3:35:36 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
1shadetail1 posted...

=====

NSMBDS and Wii are one of the best-selling games on their respective consoles. NSMB2 is outselling 3D Land and Kart 7. NSMBU has an absolutely insane attatch rate (over 1 million out of 3 million console sold). Your crap is irrelevant.

Wow, out of 3 million!?!!? That many! Big fish in a small pond mentality. Only sold that much because of the Nintendo name.

Also, why should the masses (those people Nintendo need to survive) buy NSMBU when they could just play NSMB on the Wii they already own? Theres no big graphical leap. Its just the same experience, and casuals can get their fix that way without buying a new console they are already lukewarm about just for that. Only Nintendo diehards care about new levels enough to spend that much money.
#27AhnoldDoodPosted 4/26/2013 3:37:23 PM
doshindude posted...
YamiYugi4400 posted...
it has mario

ITP: 4 games on 4 different consoles in the course of 6 years is whoring out.

And lol at the implication that NSMBW and U are "crap".

Sorry, kid, when it comes to what a big franchise, your opinion's irrelevant.
#28McmadnessV3Posted 4/26/2013 3:39:14 PM
The same reason people buying every new call of duty game that comes out, or the same reason people buy every new version of angry birds that gets released.

People do that crap all the time, Mario is no different.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#29AhnoldDoodPosted 4/26/2013 3:42:28 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
1shadetail1 posted...

=====

Wow, out of 3 million!?!!? That many! Big fish in a small pond mentality. Only sold that much because of the Nintendo name.

Also, why should the masses (those people Nintendo need to survive) buy NSMBU when they could just play NSMB on the Wii they already own? Theres no big graphical leap. Its just the same experience, and casuals can get their fix that way without buying a new console they are already lukewarm about just for that. Only Nintendo diehards care about new levels enough to spend that much money.

Sorry, my bad, over 2 million copies sold out of 3 million Wii U consoles sold. 2/3 of Wii U owners have NSMBU, HOW it sold is irrelevant.

And "no graphical leap"? Did you even see what NSMBU looks like, especially in comparison to NSMBW? And wow, I didn't know NSMBW had Challenge Mode, Boost Rush Mode, Baby Yoshis, the Super Acorn, a unifed overworld, and upcoming DLC!
#301shadetail1Posted 4/26/2013 4:10:58 PM(edited)
1shadetail1 posted...

Even if every word of that were true (just for one thing, considering over-all profitability, your claim of Nintendo declining against Sony and Microsoft is laughable), it wouldn't matter. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, 2D Mario is one of Nintendo's major series, consistently among the best sellers, if not *the* best seller, on most of their systems. That includes all their recent systems: Wii, DS, 3DS, and (so far) Wiiu.

TC asked why WiiU launched without any of their major titles, but it did: NSMBU. That is a plain-and-simple fact.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.