WII U sales appear to be pretty successful, what's the worry?

#41DemonDog666Posted 4/28/2013 2:58:00 PM
Biggest problem with WiiU is every reason to get wiiU over a ps4/next xbox is a better reason to get a ps3/360 and every reason to get a wiiU over ps3/360 is a better reason to get a ps4/next xbox.

So outside of it has Nintendo on the label and will eventually have their games there is no reason to get a wiiU.
#42Enigma149Posted 4/28/2013 2:59:56 PM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
It's the sales now that are concerning. Barely even making 50,000.

What're you talking about? Sales have broken 60,000 for the past two months, and even when they were at record-low numbers, 57,000 isn't "barely breaking 50,000."
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#43DoomsSDPosted 4/28/2013 3:07:51 PM
DemonDog666 posted...
Biggest problem with WiiU is every reason to get wiiU over a ps4/next xbox is a better reason to get a ps3/360 and every reason to get a wiiU over ps3/360 is a better reason to get a ps4/next xbox.

So outside of it has Nintendo on the label and will eventually have their games there is no reason to get a wiiU.

Care to qualify those "better reasons"?
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#44GeassMasterPosted 4/28/2013 3:11:42 PM
I don't understand why people keep saying the Wii U has sold over 3 million. It's shipped over 3 million. It's sold only 2.4 million, and there are roughly 1 million Wii U's just chilling on shelves. Software is horrible even for a Nintendo system as well.
---
Now Playing: FotNS: Ken's Rage 2,Battlefield 3(PC), Atelier Totori+ , Ninja Gaiden Sigma+, Drakengard,Sengoku Basara HD Collection
I Have A Huge Backlog.
#45king_maddenPosted 4/28/2013 3:27:21 PM
Amakusa posted...
king_madden posted...
actually still supporting the ps3 will actually help Sony with the ps4, they wont have to go into full panic mode trying to reassure fans every chance they get (like nintendo), because they will have strong sales. the ps4 will have their sales regardless because there are a lot of people that just want the newest thing out there, and theres also the millions upon millions of people who already have a ps3.

Uh, no, I don't think you understand how this works. Making the PS3 sales go up doesn't help make the PS4 sales go up, it's the exact opposite. Sure, the sales will help Sony as a whole, but that doesn't help market confidence in the PS4, nor does it make up for the cost to manufacture/develop the PS4 which by this point is more important than making up for the costs for the PS3.

Your theory only holds if Sony were intending to move PS3 sales.

you say i dont understand how this works while you fail to understand what i was saying. I never said ps3 sales will help ps4 sales go up, so stop it (smacks hand). I said it will help sony, as a whole, since due to damage control wii-u fans have to continuosly mention sony as a whole isntead of just talking games......anywho, it helps sony, because people who dont want to adopt early on due to lack of games can still jump in ps3.

the ps4 will sell well, because all consoles for the most part start off pretty good, if they announce a pretty good lineup for launch and soon after sony fans will buy. those more skeptical, can go the cheaper ps3 route, and then jump on board. thats how keeping the ps3 afloat helps sony.

getting rid of the ps3 wouldnt help, it would just hurt. they lose out on potential customers, and upset current fans. They arent really competiting with each other, since they offer different games. people who want a ps4 will buy one regardless if there are ps3s avaialble or not. neither I nor you have any idea what market confidence is looking like for the ps4 so we probably shouldnt spout random things based solely on whatever is in our head. (especially since everyone knows ps3 is still going to be pushed strongly yet the market is very hyped about the ps4, semi disproves your assumption already).
#46DemonDog666Posted 4/28/2013 3:38:47 PM
DoomsSD posted...
DemonDog666 posted...

Care to qualify those "better reasons"?

Like wiiU is cheaper then ps4/next xbox will be, but ps3/360 are even cheaper then wiiU or wiiU is more powerful then ps3/360 but ps4/next xbox will be alot more powerful then wiiU.

I honestly can't think of any reasons that wouldn't be a better reason for one of the other alternatives other then just it being Nintendo. Feel free to offer some if you think you can.
#47AmakusaPosted 4/28/2013 4:06:34 PM(edited)
king_madden posted...
you say i dont understand how this works while you fail to understand what i was saying. I never said ps3 sales will help ps4 sales go up, so stop it (smacks hand). I said it will help sony, as a whole, since due to damage control wii-u fans have to continuosly mention sony as a whole isntead of just talking games......anywho, it helps sony, because people who dont want to adopt early on due to lack of games can still jump in ps3.

No, you didn't understand what I'm saying. I understood perfectly well what you're saying, but you didn't consider that Sony doesn't need to make its money from the PS3, it needs to make its money from the PS4. Selling more PS3s does not help the PS4, which is the product Sony is really trying to sell.

You're operating under the assumption that Sony can recoup the costs of the PS4 by selling PS3s, which is ridiculous.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#48king_maddenPosted 4/28/2013 4:23:53 PM
Amakusa posted...
king_madden posted...

No, you didn't understand what I'm saying. I understood perfectly well what you're saying, but you didn't consider that Sony doesn't need to make its money from the PS3, it needs to make its money from the PS4. Selling more PS3s does not help the PS4, which is the product Sony is really trying to sell.

You're operating under the assumption that Sony can recoup the costs of the PS4 by selling PS3s, which is ridiculous.

sigh, again thats not what im saying. also why doesnt sony "need" money from ps3? thats like saying "a company doesnt need more money". not selling ps3s wouldnt help the ps4 either. the people who buy ps4 will buy it regardless if there is a ps3 or not.

if you havent noticed there are quite a few people with ps3s already, sony wants them to make the jump to ps4. new fans to sony, have a chance to go the cheaper route and pick up a ps3 and say "hey there are some good games here", maybe I should check out the ps4. they are more likely to turn them into a fan that way instead of counting on people to blindly buy a ps4 just because.

sony doesnt want devs to abandon the ps3 either because they plan to continue production for at least 3 more years. for some reason you seem to feel that with the ps3 here ps4 wont sell anything. selling ps3 and ps4 will make them much more than just selling ps4.

ps3/360 will be big against all consoles, not just ps4. wii-u, 720, all of them.
#49Shinobi120Posted 4/28/2013 6:14:55 PM
GeassMaster posted...
I don't understand why people keep saying the Wii U has sold over 3 million. It's shipped over 3 million. It's sold only 2.4 million, and there are roughly 1 million Wii U's just chilling on shelves. Software is horrible even for a Nintendo system as well.

*Clears Throat*

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html
#50king_maddenPosted 4/28/2013 8:26:17 PM
Shinobi120 posted...
GeassMaster posted...

*Clears Throat*

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

hears something to help clear your throat.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/satoru-iwata-stepping-nintendo-america-ceo-following-weak-wii-u-6C9588738