Ok, here's how I predict how this gen will play

#1TheCelticArcherPosted 4/28/2013 2:27:24 PM
I personally believe that the Wii U not going to be first place in terms of sales, but that doesn't mean it will be a flop. One of the big 3 are going to get out of the console making business this gen, and sadly, it might be Sony. They aren't doing so well overall, they're selling a lot of their buildings, and making a lot of losses with their products. This gen will either make or break Sony, and it would be sad to see them go, as they provided a lot of fond memories with the PS1 and PS2. I also believe that a lot people will buy the new Xbox, despite the rumours of having always-on DRM for the games.
What do you guys think?
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2, Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Banjo-Kazooie (360), Darksiders II (Wii U), & Need for Speed Most Wanted U.
#2YoyokuKOPosted 4/28/2013 2:29:00 PM
i hope it crashes

pswii360 gen a terrible experience
#3_Sovereign_Posted 4/28/2013 4:35:46 PM
All Sony has to do is get back to making their games and stop relying on 3rd parties ( as the competition has these as well)

All Nintendo has to do is get their games out, it never fails

All MS has to do is keep digging the hole it's in. No exclusives, pay for mediocre online, pay to be advertised to, terrible hardware, drags multiplatform games on other consoles down ( see Rayman Legends for a prime example), too much focus on entertainment everything instead of games and then some.....etc.

Sony and Nintendo will be fine, it's MS that will perform terribly.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#4DeathSnipe777Posted 4/28/2013 4:44:12 PM(edited)
The Xbox will die, as it should.

Hopefully Steambox digs the Xbox's grave and takes its place.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
Steam / PSN / NNID: Marlouchu
#5Steven010702Posted 4/28/2013 4:45:43 PM
_Sovereign_ posted...
All Sony has to do is get back to making their games and stop relying on 3rd parties ( as the competition has these as well)

All Nintendo has to do is get their games out, it never fails

All MS has to do is keep digging the hole it's in. No exclusives, pay for mediocre online, pay to be advertised to, terrible hardware, drags multiplatform games on other consoles down ( see Rayman Legends for a prime example), too much focus on entertainment everything instead of games and then some.....etc.

Sony and Nintendo will be fine, it's MS that will perform terribly.

I'm not sure if I agree with your Sony assessment. I don't think Sony's franchises alone will help them stay afloat. I think the best thing they can do would be to get exclusive contracts with devs to create more 3rd party exclusives. I agree with the other two. I think the new Xbox isn't going to crash and burn like everyone is saying. Then again, almost everyone is just going off rumors right now.
---
I lost the game!
#6STE573Posted 4/28/2013 4:53:46 PM
DeathSnipe777 posted...
The Xbox will die, as it should.

Hopefully Steambox digs the Xbox's grave and takes its place.

The only problem with the Steam Box is the price. I want one, but I'm not paying more than I would for a PS4 (400). Also the deal with the steam box is that it might become a very dangerous console indeed. Steam would have a monopoly over all of the software that is sold on it which, in theory, could make it a place devoid of competition based pricing. Which no matter how you look at it, is a bad thing.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X Currently playing Dragons Dogma (360) Xcom (360) Persona 4 (Vita) Demon Souls (PS3).
#7DoomsSDPosted 4/28/2013 5:12:12 PM
I think Sony are the most uncertain in terms of stability. Squandered much of their PS1 and PS2 profits, took a massive hit to get the PS3 to sell, invested substancially in two failed attempts to break Nintendos handheld dominence. Anon made them look stupid and many gamers bank account details got exposed. That's not the kind of thing people forgive or forget considering the damage that can be caused.

They aren't coming into this race from a position of strength. Axing 10,000 staff to cover losses is not something they can keep on doing. PS4 or bust, that's the stakes.

Nintendo are relatively safe, for now. Wii and DS between them sold 250 million units in a market where they were dwarfed in terms of power but had quality games and original experiences to hook people in. 3DS is looking very strong now a complete contrast of where it was a year ago, Wii U is letting the side down a bit though, however, Nintendo have proven the ability to get a console back on its feet, especially in the face of its opposition launching with more graphical firepower. Never count Nintendo out. I think they can afford to have Wii U slow out the blocks but they DO have to get it selling with a sneaky price drop and bundle right in front of the opposition launch.

The console I want to fail, though, is XBox. I hate the concept of Xbox Live, it's a rip off, plain and simple, both it's competitors do online functionality for free. I think that the nasty rumours about no pre-owned games and always online or no gaming for you will bite them in the ass if true. The spectre of RROD still looms for many gamers and I don't see why anyone would want to sign up for round two of it. In short, the direction they're headed as a manufacturer is one I would never support or encourage with my wallet. I think this gen will actually be a major reality check for Microsoft.

I think they've all got a point to prove and it will be overall, a similar result to the previous gen- lots of units sold across the board. PS4 and 720 will compete for the same gamers, Nintendo will please its fan base whilst luring people in with different experiences and savvy price points that only they can get away with right now, the real graphics/specs nerds will simply buy a gaming PC. Same old.
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#8DBPanterAPosted 4/28/2013 5:39:26 PM
Before someone posts about how great the PS4 and Xbox Infinity will be (see Forbes article today, that is the rumored name), I think you need to read this article including quote from everyone's favorite Wedbush Securities analyst, Michael Pachter

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsofts-xbox-win-more-gamers-104722400.html

I personally do not wish ill upon any company, but the market is shrinking, the profit margins are decreasing, which means they have to be smart with how much money to invest into game development and advertizing.

Nintendo is not in dire straights. Most 3rd party game developers realize that with 150 million PS3 and 360s sold globally, they must continue to support these consoles for the next 18-36 months (longer if PS4 and Infinity have slow adaption rates). For example, a company like Activision is not going to make their installments of Call of Duty exclusively for the PS4 and Infinity because they sold 22.5 million copies of BLOPS 2, and are not going to want to see the game sell 2-3 million copies and they lose hundreds of millions of dollars in potential revenue (also gamers will stick with the console their friends own for on-line play). This bodes well for Wii U, as these same 3rd party companies will not see the issue of bringing games to the Wii U. Only problem, as it has been a problem for 20 years, is getting Nintendo console owners to buy games that are NOT Nintendo. Time will tell.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#9BadreviewPosted 4/28/2013 6:03:11 PM
DoomsSD posted...
I think Sony are the most uncertain in terms of stability. Squandered much of their PS1 and PS2 profits, took a massive hit to get the PS3 to sell, invested substancially in two failed attempts to break Nintendos handheld dominence. Anon made them look stupid and many gamers bank account details got exposed. That's not the kind of thing people forgive or forget considering the damage that can be caused.

I disagree, if you watched the Sony press conference the first 20-30 minutes is like an apology of what went wrong with the PS3.
Sony already apologized about the Anon issue and gave away free games, people got over it. Honestly it's not really a huge issue anymore and Sony learned there lesson.

Sony has got it down this generation so far with the PS4 in terms of what they are trying to do.
#10TheCelticArcher(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 10:13:42 PM
Badreview posted...
DoomsSD posted...

I disagree, if you watched the Sony press conference the first 20-30 minutes is like an apology of what went wrong with the PS3.
Sony already apologized about the Anon issue and gave away free games, people got over it. Honestly it's not really a huge issue anymore and Sony learned there lesson.

Sony has got it down this generation so far with the PS4 in terms of what they are trying to do.

They say one thing and do another. They may have apologized for the mistakes of the PS3, but their other gaming system, the PlayStation Vita, is failing, and it seems like they are doing nothing about it in anywhere besides Japan. I personally have one myself, and haven't touched it since November, only because there's nothing exclusive for it, besides Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush. At the end of the day, the thing that makes a console worth having is the games.
Keep in mind, I like Sony, and I feel that they are a good competitor for Nintendo, but they have made a lot of mistakes and haven't really learned from it. I wish the best for Sony, the PS4 looks like a neat piece of tech., but all that power would be wasted without the games.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2, Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Banjo-Kazooie (360), Darksiders II (Wii U), & Need for Speed Most Wanted U.