For those complaining about how Wii U doesn't play dvd/bluray/audio cd/etc...

#1SS4_NamreppivPosted 4/28/2013 7:12:11 PM
The reason is simple: Nintendo creates their consoles for one purpose, GAMES. If you know anything about Nintendo, that's always been the case. Could those features be added? SURE, but it's just more wear and tear on your game system.

I'm sure that this topic will be laughed at, brushed aside and forgotten, but the subject and message within is true.
---
"I tried one of your dishes once. I truly believed a part of my soul died."~Dunban
#2Shadowbird_RHPosted 4/28/2013 7:16:13 PM
Old and outdated argument, as proven by the web browser, Netflix, and similar being on the console. Not having proprietary media playback wasn't philosophically motivated, it was just a business decision.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#3White_Knight13Posted 4/28/2013 7:17:45 PM
Eh, they're simple features to add, and they're expected because of how standard they've become.

Nintendo consoles may be about the games, but they haven't showed it with the Wii U so far. Soon, hopefully.
#4DiscostewSMPosted 4/28/2013 7:23:44 PM
Media playback via discs had been removed from the Wii (newer revisions) and the Wii U. They lack the hardware video commands required for such playback. They cannot be added in through software.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#5spacejamjordanzPosted 4/28/2013 7:31:42 PM
SS4_Namreppiv posted...
The reason is simple: Nintendo creates their consoles for one purpose, GAMES. If you know anything about Nintendo, that's always been the case. Could those features be added? SURE, but it's just more wear and tear on your game system.

I'm sure that this topic will be laughed at, brushed aside and forgotten, but the subject and message within is true.

That's an old and tired defense from Nintendo loyalists. So if GAMES only mattered, then why is there a web browser, Netflix, and Hulu Plus? Go ahead and continue to justify the lack of basic standard hardware features if it floats your boat.
---
"Attack me if you dare. I will crush you." Ken Masters <Street Fighter II>
#6mistergrownmanPosted 4/28/2013 7:37:00 PM
spacejamjordanz posted...
SS4_Namreppiv posted...

That's an old and tired defense from Nintendo loyalists. So if GAMES only mattered, then why is there a web browser, Netflix, and Hulu Plus? Go ahead and continue to justify the lack of basic standard hardware features if it floats your boat.

Yea..that's really balls. *sigh* I like multimedia functionality. Even if you don't care for it, only really stupid people will justify the lack of it.
---
Guns don't kill people. Husbands who come home early do.
#7GoombaXPosted 4/28/2013 7:37:45 PM
mistergrownman posted...
spacejamjordanz posted...
SS4_Namreppiv posted...

Yea..that's really balls. *sigh* I like multimedia functionality. Even if you don't care for it, only really stupid people will justify the lack of it.

and only kids will complain about it.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Injustice, MvC 2, SMW
#8Lefty128kPosted 4/28/2013 7:39:03 PM
SS4_Namreppiv posted...

TVii
#9leeko_linkPosted 4/28/2013 7:43:49 PM(edited)
White_Knight13 posted...
Eh, they're simple features to add, and they're expected because of how standard they've become.

Nintendo consoles may be about the games, but they haven't showed it with the Wii U so far. Soon, hopefully.

As standard as VHS which no other device aside from a VCR ever featured? Just because it's standard doesn't mean it had to be included. The Wii U already delivered movies and music through more comfortable offering than ever bothering with disc besides if you own a media system of some kind throughout the history of your lives (VCR, VCR/DVD combo, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO, Jaguar CD, Turbo CD, Philips CD-I, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP, 3DS, PS Vita, DS, Mac, PC, tablet, etc.) then chances are you already got a music and/or movie player already.
#10Wiiplayer111Posted 4/28/2013 7:42:32 PM
I just think at this point Nintendo sees where they can make money. Pretty much everything plays DVDs/Blurays. And Nintendo probably could see that not a lot of people will buy Wii U for them. So why put in the extra cost when no one buys it for that.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com