When U Were Young, What Did U Do When U Were Stuck At A Point In A Game?

#31Rasputin77Posted 4/29/2013 9:43:30 AM(edited)
Beatperson14 posted...
When you

Were yoooooung

-Killers

Heh heh...

Where's the "go with Mom to the grocery store, and scour the video game magazines, hoping to God you'd find something in the Tips & Tricks section" option? I couldn't have been the only one. :) Then when you struck gold, you had to scramble for a pen to write on your hand, or just stand there and commit whatever it was to memory.

EDIT: Excellent thread, BTW; I love threads like these. And it hasn't been marked for being off-topic because it doesn't have the slightest negative criticism about the Wii U... smart. ;)
---
Wii U board logic: Posting anything that isn't praise = trolling. Defending that action = running to their rescue.
You can't make this s*** up. XD
#32Mecha SonicPosted 4/29/2013 9:53:27 AM
get stuck on it for five years and not be able to beat it

i'm looking at you sonic 3 barrel
---
http://i.imgur.com/JTBw9MJ.png
#33AaronPHughesPosted 4/29/2013 10:43:06 AM
game genie
---
Systems Owned - 2600, 5200, NES, NES2, Gameboy, SNES, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Color, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, GBA, DS, DSLite, GBM, Wii, 360, 3DS, Wii U
#34ImGanondorfLolPosted 4/29/2013 10:45:48 AM
Depends if the game was worth it.
#35wiseguy100Posted 4/29/2013 12:35:54 PM
I'd go on Gamesmaster and get the help I needed from Patrick Moore's giant floaty head.
---
360 gamertag, PSN ID and Wii U - wiseguy100
#36mashuPosted 4/29/2013 1:07:50 PM
Mostly I just kept playing and trying things. The glory days, as it were, sans internet and FAQs. You had to come up with the solution yourself. Occasionally I'd set the game aside for a little bit and play another for a break, but I usually came back.

That's not to say things were better then - just different. Its handy now to have forums and FAQs and check something if you get stuck, but its so tempting just to play a game - JRPGs in particular - with a FAQ literally right next to you. I usually play JRPGs on the first run through sans FAQ and save getting everything and doing things "right" for a second play through - if I like the game enough to play it again - but sure, if I get stuck long enough or some decision seems rather epic in terms of consequences, off to the forums I go. I kind of meet the whole using a FAQ/forums vs not thing squarely in the middle these days.
#37HyadesVorquePosted 4/29/2013 1:13:02 PM
No "Get pissed off and throw controller at T.V" option?

Dragon Warrior/Quest 1-3...... these games proved to me that NES controllers are invincible, when I was a lot younger.
#38Rennik RepotsirPosted 4/29/2013 1:13:26 PM
I guess "didn't play for a while" closely matches... When I started to play the game again; I just started over...
---
FREE BUMP!!!
The person above suffers from IAD.</post>
#39LordrvPosted 4/29/2013 10:39:33 PM
GoombaX posted...
ZvoLtx posted...
I used dial-up and got help very, very slowly.

when i was a kid during the snes days you had to call a number for game info.

That or go to the library and look for the how to win at Nintendo books lol. I'm not even joking about that. Used to need to borrow the nintendo guide books from the library unless u wanted to pay $5 a minute like a phone sex hotline for video game tips.
#40LordrvPosted 4/29/2013 10:41:17 PM
Rasputin77 posted...
Beatperson14 posted...
When you

Were yoooooung

-Killers

Heh heh...

Where's the "go with Mom to the grocery store, and scour the video game magazines, hoping to God you'd find something in the Tips & Tricks section" option? I couldn't have been the only one. :) Then when you struck gold, you had to scramble for a pen to write on your hand, or just stand there and commit whatever it was to memory.

EDIT: Excellent thread, BTW; I love threads like these. And it hasn't been marked for being off-topic because it doesn't have the slightest negative criticism about the Wii U... smart. ;)

You're not the only one. I used to always read video game magazines like that too lol