Anyone think that NSMB2's failure hurt NSMBU and the Wii U?

#1iKhanicPosted 4/29/2013 12:34:31 AM
I feel like NSMB2 really made the series notorious for being unoriginal and not "new" any more. I feel like that may have made NSMBU have lower selling power for the Wii U.

What do you think?
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2ninsony12Posted 4/29/2013 12:42:33 AM
iKhanic posted...
I feel like NSMB2 really made the series notorious for being unoriginal and not "new" any more. I feel like that may have made NSMBU have lower selling power for the Wii U.

What do you think?

Off course not don't be silly.
---
PS4 is the equivalent of a high end PC, but much cheaper. The real next gen starts with ps 4.
#3kalibre16Posted 4/29/2013 12:46:18 AM
iKhanic posted...

What do you think?

NSMB really should have ceased production after the Wii nothing against them its just I think we all knew what kind of direction these were going in once the Wii version launched and at that point it was still not considered milked yet

I think the 3DS in general is partly to blame for the Wii-U's slow launch and I don't mean that in the sense that the 3DS is bad, quite the contrary. The 3DS was and is continuing to do so well that most informed consumers continue to choose it over the Wii-U (I mean whats not to like Games, Actual Support, Portability anywhere not just your house, surprisingly better online and UI etc....)

As for the uninformed consumer well as silly as it sounds I have actually seen firsthand confused parents wondering if its just an addon or peripheral to the Wii
---
---
"A good essay is like a mini skirt its long enough to cover all the important stuff but still short enough to keep you interested"---
#4sloevenh1Posted 4/29/2013 12:51:30 AM
I don't consider NSMB2 a "failure" but releasing two Mario 2D platformers in short order certainly made NSMBU less of a stand out title.
---
German GW2 player? Check out our guild: http://www.icantmove.org/
#5Omega_BlackPosted 4/29/2013 12:52:15 AM
Four titles in six years is "milked" now. Gotcha.
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#6ninsony12Posted 4/29/2013 12:52:26 AM
People that say nsmb is milked don't know their facts. Uncharted, gran tourismo, god of war and cod are all rehashed at a faster rate.
---
PS4 is the equivalent of a high end PC, but much cheaper. The real next gen starts with ps 4.
#7iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 12:52:32 AM
kalibre16 posted...
iKhanic posted...

What do you think?

NSMB really should have ceased production after the Wii nothing against them its just I think we all knew what kind of direction these were going in once the Wii version launched and at that point it was still not considered milked yet

The thing is, I've heard very good things about NSMBU, in that it's level design is much more unique than NSMB2. However, I have a feeling that NSMB2 gave the series this horrible reputation it now has, so when people see that as an option for the Wii U that they buy, they are underwhelmed.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#8BuretsuPosted 4/29/2013 2:30:00 AM
Considering that NSMB2 has been appearing on Japanese Top 20 Sales Charts nearly a year after it's release, I wouldn't exactly call it a failure...
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#9Neo_HeartlessPosted 4/29/2013 2:36:32 AM
I wouldn't say NSMB2 was a failure, but it releasing so close to NSMBU probably didn't help the latter.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#10sonicsonicPosted 4/29/2013 2:45:13 AM
Haven't actually played either... but I have played the Wii and DS ones.Which were fun, but I couldn't bring myself too pay full asking price for the Wii version.

I think the thing that hurt the WiiU and NSMBU was Nintendo trying too give 3rd party's a period too get their products selling on the WiiU. Whilst I imagine that the level design is top notch in NSMBU if only they put in some more effort Nintendo could have been onto a real cracker.

Throw in a level editor. Online race mode. A couple more skins. Things like this could've helped it a lot more, but too me it seems like a good game, but one I'd never pay full price for.

I have nothing against 2d platformers, but they generally work better on handhelds... or at least I think so. I'd like if they do keep on making 2D platformers on there home consoles too really pull their fingers out. A crossover platformer with Mario, Kirby and DK would be ace. Then they can stick the single franchise platformers on the 3DS...