The final couple worlds in Super Mario World are so unbelievably lame...

#1The_Mana_LegendPosted 4/29/2013 7:25:38 AM(edited)
I love SMW, but I just played SMB3 and SMW back to back for the first time in around 10 years. And while SMB3's progression got more and more difficult throughout its entirety (and basically ended with a wonderfully lengthy and terrifying World 8), SMW ends with you going through chocolate and a couple of caves? They aren't in any way difficult, dramatic, or give you a sense that you're getting ready for a final showdown.

The Bowser Castle itself is also lame, and the lead up to the Bowser fight isn't nearly as cool or dramatic as the lead up in SMB3.

Both games have really lame final boss battles, but the build up to SMB3's final boss makes it feel way more satisfying when you defeat him.

I mean, SMW is still a great game, but even as a kid, I felt that SMW was a step down from SMB3.
#2BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/29/2013 7:27:19 AM
Agreed, actually. Bowser's Valley isn't anything special compared to what came before. My favorite final world in a 2D Mario is probably Yoshi's Island's world 6, but that game has the best everything in general.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#3DTY3Posted 4/29/2013 7:27:56 AM
While I agree that SMW's worlds are kinda lame, let me just stop you at that second sentence.

SMB3's difficulty was not in a any way balanced. It jumped all over the place. World 6 Ice World was the hardest in the game, for example.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#4DoomsSDPosted 4/29/2013 7:29:04 AM
The REAL final levels are the Special World, and even THAT requires you do complete Star World to get to it.

The game has more to offer than just beating Bowser...
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#5DTY3Posted 4/29/2013 7:29:18 AM
Also let me say this:

Super Mario World has some of the blandest aesthetics for the worlds since the first game in the series.

The level design is top notch but all of the levels kind of blend in together and worlds end up looking the same.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
#6darkqueenhelbaPosted 4/29/2013 7:29:45 AM
I do wish Bowser would be hard for a change. 2D or 3D.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#7The_Mana_Legend(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 7:31:07 AM(edited)
DoomsSD posted...
The REAL final levels are the Special World, and even THAT requires you do complete Star World to get to it.

The game has more to offer than just beating Bowser...

I realize this (I did a 96 run yesterday), but the Special World isn't that great either.
#8trenkenPosted 4/29/2013 7:32:57 AM(edited)
I havent played this game in so long. The only thing I really remember is that the worlds themes/names have nothing to do with the levels themselves.

Its almost like they designed the levels first, and then later decided to have worlds. You play the first world, called Yoshis Island, and its cool, then you get to Donut Plains or whatever its called, and the levels look the same as the first world! There is nothing about donuts in them!

Then you get to Vanilla Dome, and.... well.... they are mostly all the same again. Nothing about Vanilla in them. Really odd and actually extremely lazy and poorly planned when you think about it.

---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#9darkqueenhelbaPosted 4/29/2013 7:33:22 AM
trenken posted...
I havent played this game in so long. The only thing I really remember is that the world themes/names have nothing to do with the levels themselves.

Its almost like they designed the levels first, and then later decided to have worlds. You play the first world, called Yoshis Island, and its cool, then you get to Donut Plains or whatever its called, and the levels look the same as the first world! There is nothing about donuts in them!

Then you get to Vanilla Dome, and.... well.... they are mostly all the same again. Nothing about Vanilla in them. Really odd and actually extremely lazy and poorly planned when you think about it.

Yeah. Would've made more sense if they had a bunch of those donut platforms in levels. And in Vanilla Dome a bunch of ice all over in the levels.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#10DTY3Posted 4/29/2013 7:33:40 AM
trenken posted...
I havent played this game in so long. The only thing I really remember is that the world themes/names have nothing to do with the levels themselves.

Thank you.

This is one aspect that SMB3 beats it in and it's ESPECIALLY noticeable in NSMBU which follows the SMW style but actually has distinguishable worlds.
---