So is the Wii U a powerful machine or not?

#1TheDoorMousePosted 4/30/2013 11:20:57 AM
I honestly just don't know. Judging from the games I have it appears graphically slightly better than ps3 and xbox(?). But even that's hard to totally discern. But Iwata mentioned in his address that the Wii U has a "different architecture", does that mean it has hidden potential?

(Like an earthling on Namek?)

I mean every game looks better near the end of a consoles life cycle, but is there more to it that can be tapped by devs?

(Like a short bald man being facepalmed by an old alien?)

And from what we know about the other two upcoming consoles, graphics wise, can it come close with more effort put into the software, or are the others unbeatable juggernauts?

(Like aliens with monkey tails?)
---
I hate when people spam block.
#2Reflex-ArcPosted 4/30/2013 11:23:11 AM
I mean... it ain't ever going to be able to tow your trailer or haul a boat, but It'll play your Nintendo games.
#3Beatperson14Posted 4/30/2013 11:23:14 AM
You can't 'hide' potential when we're talking about parts of a computer.

It is drastically underpowered compared to what PS4 and Xbox 720 will be pushing.
#4TheDoorMouse(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 11:26:47 AM
Reflex-Arc posted...
I mean... it ain't ever going to be able to tow your trailer or haul a boat, but It'll play your Nintendo games.

Will it play anyone elses?
---
#5DiscostewSMPosted 4/30/2013 11:27:43 AM
Superior to the PS3 and 360, inferior to the PS4 and 720.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#6Reflex-ArcPosted 4/30/2013 11:28:08 AM
TheDoorMouse posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...

No. Just yours.
#7TheDoorMouse(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 11:31:24 AM
Reflex-Arc posted...
TheDoorMouse posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...

No. Just yours.

Not even Squares? Or Konami's? Cuz they got some interesting stuff on the horizon...

I mean anything I make would just be a chip ahoy I jammed in the slot and called a shooter.
---
#8TheDoorMouse(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 11:32:53 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
Superior to the PS3 and 360, inferior to the PS4 and 720.

Yeah i guess that sounds about right. Bummer.
---
#9SlimeSwayzePosted 4/30/2013 11:47:07 AM
By today's standards, no. It's still got enough juice to make some great looking games. People like to say it's more powerful than the PS3 and 360, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I see a Wii U game that looks and plays better than the best of what those other systems offer. So far there isn't one, though finally getting the best looking console version of a multiplat (NFSMWU) is a start.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#10shinra35800Posted 4/30/2013 11:58:34 AM(edited)
Graphics ratings:

PC > PS3 > WiiU > 360

WiiU comes after 360 because it is graphically superior.

WiiU comes before PS3 because it is slightly graphically inferior visual wise. The lacking of textures and effects in certain areas also hold it at this position. And of course the censorship is another. PS3 has the bluray to keep it at the top of the console race which can add to the graphics without even having superior hardware.

Then, you know that pc is on top. Can actually be placed anywhere in the line considering hardware can vary. But PC and 360 are both microsoft so, there shouldn't be in debate on this piece.

Either way, WiiU shouldn't even be compared to next gen considered it is really current gen. If bluray was on WiiU, then it may have a chance to be next gen. But bluray is sony so....

All in all, it is decent hardware. But it is not enough to be considered next gen.