Was seventh generation a disapointment?

#51darkstar4221Posted 4/30/2013 8:36:33 PM(edited)
rudgerlight posted...
My point was that $50 then is equivalent to $60 now and that when accounting for inflation the price of games isn't really all that much more than it used to be (and in many cases, it's in fact less). You haven't countered this once, you've only shown that you don't understand what I'm telling you.

That's BS. Yeah the currency was stronger 10 years ago, but $60 is still $60. If video game cost less than the previous generation why did it take forever for Tales of Grace F to drop below $40? Mass Effect Trilogy is still sold for $59.99 in many retail stores despite being ports.

Many PS2/GC/Xbox games retailed for $40 or less. King of Fighters XI retailed at $20. But it's not just the games that increased in price, but the accessories, the equipment (the need for HDVT's), everything increased in price. Like I said before patents and copyright increases the cost of technology. Thus the cost for manufacturers (Sony, MS, Nintendo) to make newer hardware is more expensive. The Cell CPU was not only useless but it was expensive, Sony couldn't go with X86 because Intel charges a ridiculous fee for their cpus. Also because of ip (copyright and patents) it gives manufacturers an incentive to sell their products at inflated prices (see PS Vita memory cards).

Lastly, Nintendo charges $40 for a digital copy of Pilotwings:
1) because they can and somehow people still pay it
2) because if they charged less, brick and mortar stores would stop pushing 3DSs as they would directly eat into the stores profits or they would pressure Nintendo through other means - which is why in Japan they now push selling digital copies while in a retail store and Nintendo has made it clear they intend to do the same elsewhere.

You are talking nonsense, Nintendo charges $40 because they can and there is very little the consumer can do about it, except not be dumb enough to buy a digital game that is overpriced. It has nothing to do with Nintendo being worried about brick and mortars not wanting to push 3DSs. Nintendo, MS, and Sony sells their video games at inflated prices because copyright law empowers them to do so, and they know that the only way for the consumer to play the game is to buy it "legally".
#52_Sovereign_Posted 4/30/2013 9:17:49 PM
It had many games that I loved, new series that grew on me ( DA, ME), and fantastic IPs in general.....However, there is nothing that really strikes me as memorable....nothing that we will be talking about in 20 years.

All of us here who are old enough could rail off a list of games from our youth and I highly doubt 20 years from now the 7th gen will contribute a 1/4 of content to that list.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#53ExtremelyFatGuyPosted 4/30/2013 11:08:28 PM
_Sovereign_ posted...
It had many games that I loved, new series that grew on me ( DA, ME), and fantastic IPs in general.....However, there is nothing that really strikes me as memorable....nothing that we will be talking about in 20 years.

All of us here who are old enough could rail off a list of games from our youth and I highly doubt 20 years from now the 7th gen will contribute a 1/4 of content to that list.

Yeah, there was some good stuff but nothing big. I guess the problem was rising development costs combined with the biggest recession in decades. The longer length of the generation didn't matter much. There was also the shakeout from the Wii rising and falling quickly and the slow start of the PS3.
#54WhiteWolf338Posted 5/1/2013 10:08:11 AM
PS3 is better than Wii
#55PoppaKroganPosted 5/1/2013 10:09:22 AM
No, it wasnt. Anyone who says it was a disappointment only had a Wii.
---
I knew we forgot someone...you.
#56ukokira1Posted 5/1/2013 10:10:12 AM
We got Platinum Games so I'm ok.
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#57TerotrousPosted 5/1/2013 10:28:02 AM(edited)
To be honest I don't feel it was as bad as people make it out to be. Although we saw the rise of some really scummy business practices, we also saw a rebirth of retro-style gameplay and a rise in independent development. Handhelds also really took off this gen, with the first viable competitor to Nintendo entering the market and greatly expanding it in the process. The Wii also showed the hardware power isn't everything, suggesting that systems may still have further to go even after we top out graphics next gen.

One thing that can't be denied though is that this generation was much more divided. It wasn't like last gen where PS2 just owned everyone, so taken in isolation, none of last gen's consoles will be a match for PS2. However, when everything is put together, I think last gen's output is pretty comparable to some of the best generations we've had.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#58name_unknownPosted 5/1/2013 10:27:08 AM
No, PS3 had great new IPs InFamous, Uncharted, Resistance. How can people forget about Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Batman Arkham coming out.
#59SlimeSwayzePosted 5/1/2013 10:42:22 AM
The lack of quality survival horror and the death of Japanese gaming on consoles was disappointing, but other than that I thought it was a great generation full of amazing games. If I could only play 10 games for the rest of my life, at least 6-7 of them would be from last gen.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#60justcause2wPosted 5/1/2013 11:37:16 AM(edited)
nope. It's actually my favorite and I only owned wii and pc.