I don't care about graphics and gimmicks. I'm a real gamer.

#1ChaoticVortexPosted 4/30/2013 1:38:29 PM
These two things are killing the industry.

Want to know why Nintendo is taking so long to release games? Instead of focusing on what matters (the gameplay), they are wasting time and money on HD graphics and forcing their employees to shoehorn gamepad gimmicks into their games.

I hate how that's all game companies care about these days because of greed. They had a great core audience, that was slowly but surely growing and what did they do? Drool over other non-game companies being more successful over these two things and being more appealing to casuals. But casuals as proven by the Wii to Wii U sales aren't even loyal so why waste time on them?
#2Baha05Posted 4/30/2013 1:39:44 PM
Or maybe they are working on both graphics and gameplay
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3Beatperson14Posted 4/30/2013 1:41:18 PM
Graphics are naturally going to improve. Deal with it. Games can't stay 8-bit your whole life or they'll get boring and repetitive.

Gimmicks can also actually be fun when implemented as an OPTION. always-on gimmicks are very stupid, agreed.
#4ClarkyMalarkyPosted 4/30/2013 1:42:21 PM
Beatperson14 posted...
Graphics are naturally going to improve. Deal with it. Games can't stay 8-bit your whole life or they'll get boring and repetitive.

Gimmicks can also actually be fun when implemented as an OPTION. always-on gimmicks are very stupid, agreed.

That's not what he's saying and you know it.

Way to argue with thin air.
---
Your ugly face is starting to piss me off.
#5ChaoticVortex(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 1:42:31 PM
Baha05 posted...

They focus too much on graphics and sacrifice gameplay in doing so.

Want to know why? It's becoming harder and harder to net "better" graphics than what we already have, that's why the gap between gens is becoming smaller and smaller.

That's basically the story of this and last gen. Most games are all flash, no substance.
#6HejiruPosted 4/30/2013 1:43:04 PM
Yeah well, I'm a real Scotsman gamer.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#7shinra35800Posted 4/30/2013 1:44:56 PM(edited)
If anything, reducing the quality of the textures is more work than having just the full detailed textures. Lack of 3rd party is why nintendo is taking so long.

Nes didn't have this problem because they had full 3rd party support.
Snes didn't have this problem because they had full 3rd party support.
N64 had this problem because they wouldn't switch to discs. 3rd party support was greatly reduced.
Gamecube went half and half because devs were cautious of nintendo and the n64. But it all worked out and they got more support.
Wii, same as gamecube but it declined in the 2nd half because nintendo failed to get with the times with the graphics.
Wii U, not giving what the devs want to make devs work easier so right now, not doing so hot (very big lack of 3rd party).
#8NikraPosted 4/30/2013 1:51:03 PM
Of course graphics matters. If it didn't, we would all still play text-based computer games. Anybody stating that graphics aren't important, are naive or still living in the old 2d days.
#9DoomsSDPosted 4/30/2013 2:02:04 PM
ChaoticVortex posted...
Baha05 posted...

They focus too much on graphics and sacrifice gameplay in doing so.

Want to know why? It's becoming harder and harder to net "better" graphics than what we already have, that's why the gap between gens is becoming smaller and smaller.

That's basically the story of this and last gen. Most games are all flash, no substance.

This is largely why I think the whole "Wii U is underpowered" thing is just frankly irrelevant. It didn't stop the Wii from doing well, and as far back as I care to think, it hasn't stopped any of the previous generation "winners" from doing well either.

The power difference is going to be harder to spot and savvier developers will make you not even notice you're playing on a supposedly under-powered machine. A game that looks good today is still going to look good in ten years time.

The Gamepad doesn't have to be gimmicky, it can be a passive but useful tool or it can be used as genuine means of innovation.

Time will tell.
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#10LhunthangionPosted 4/30/2013 5:08:37 PM
ChaoticVortex posted...
These two things are killing the industry.

Want to know why Nintendo is taking so long to release games? Instead of focusing on what matters (the gameplay), they are wasting time and money on HD graphics and forcing their employees to shoehorn gamepad gimmicks into their games.

I hate how that's all game companies care about these days because of greed. They had a great core audience, that was slowly but surely growing and what did they do? Drool over other non-game companies being more successful over these two things and being more appealing to casuals. But casuals as proven by the Wii to Wii U sales aren't even loyal so why waste time on them?

Who are you?
---
I AM ERROR.