Nintendo should have embraced the mobile market...

#1MilesTeg420Posted 4/30/2013 2:56:51 PM
What they should have done with Wii U and 3DS is try to steal the mobile market in a sense. Make their online infrastructure similar to iOS, allow easy porting to 3DS/Wii U. They should have included multitouch screens on both devices, so games really don't require any change to work on their platforms. I honestly thought that was their plan, with Wii U having a tablet like controller.

This allows them a huge library of cheap downloadable software, while also still allowing them to dictate the cost of their own content available on the platform. They could have been making a percentage of basically the whole mobile market's software sales. And, they would still have the Nintendo fan base they have always had to buy Nintendo software.

Instead they have passed on this huge market, while also alienating third party with an underpowered box with PS4/720 coming. Now theres not much software available, not much consumer interest, and not much third party interest as well.

For the record though, it seems Nintendo is taking efforts to change this, on Wii U anyway. IIRC at GDC Nintendo said they have software that basically converts an iOS game on to Wii U with little effort. But surely this is something that should have been in place already when you design a console with a tablet like controller.

IMO 3DS has been a major missed opportunity. So many games that, theoretically, theres no reason why they aren't available on that platform.
#2anon_firePosted 4/30/2013 2:59:42 PM
You're saying that Nintendo should have made iOS-like games?
---
NNID: alaz21
#3Board_hunter567Posted 4/30/2013 3:01:18 PM
That's up to the developers.
#4MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 3:03:06 PM
anon_fire posted...
You're saying that Nintendo should have made iOS-like games?

No, not make iOS like games. Just get that market on to their hardware, and still charge whatever they want for their own software. Instead of developing for mobile like many think they should, they should have brought mobile to Nintendo...
#5MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 3:05:02 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
That's up to the developers.

Yes. And Nintendo has failed at making it an appealing situation due to the reasons mentioned above.
#6Board_hunter567Posted 4/30/2013 3:22:23 PM(edited)
I'm not entirely sure what it is you want though. You mentioned them "stealing" the mobile market but that's just a fool's errand for anybody at this point.
Would you have liked it if they had systems in place such as Xbox Live Indie Games or PlayStation Suite? Or would you have liked them to basically make the Wii U Android hardware to make it as easy as possible?
#7MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 3:29:36 PM
I'm not entirely sure what it is you want though. You mentioned them "stealing" the mobile market but that's just a fool's errand for anybody at this point.
Would you have liked it if they had systems in place such as Xbox Live Indie Games or PlayStation Suite?

I'm saying they could have easily brought the mobile market to Nintendo, not straight up take the whole thing. They have two platforms with touch screens. They had the casual audience with Wii and DS. They made a tablet controller. They released another underpowered console. It's not unreasonable to think they could and should have gotten this market on their platforms, and they would be better off for it.
#8Board_hunter567Posted 4/30/2013 3:56:33 PM(edited)
What I'm asking is how you want them to achieve that.

Personally, I think a cheap or even free SDK that's restricted to eShop releases would be the way to go.
#9PaperDolphinPosted 4/30/2013 3:50:53 PM
I would be fine with it, I think those games are cheap garbage, but if people buy it, then go for it. As long as Nintendo still make's it's great games and in a physical copy, I don't care what other devs do.
---
Waddle Dee and Toad for SSB4!
#10MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 3:58:55 PM
What I'm asking is how you want them to achieve that.

Personally, I think a cheap or ever free SDK that's restricted to eShop releases would be the way to go.

Well, it's kinda too late at this point. The plans should have been in place long before both systems released. Like developing only one version of the game that works on Wii U and 3DS, without a need to change code. And like I said, multitouch screens so devs literally don't have to change anything and the game translates to Nintendo platforms at 100% usability with no compromise and no effort. An online infrastructure that supports this whole concept.

I think the Wii U is perfect as is, besides the things I mentioned above, to support this. It still supports retail, Nintendo can still release big $60 games, they can still set their own download prices, and they have the cheap, casual mobile stuff for that audience that wants it.