What happened to Reggie?

#11IcedEarthaholicPosted 5/1/2013 3:14:11 AM
TheFlamingC posted...
Reggie was never in charge of NoA. It was Tatsumi Kimishima. Kimishima was an absolutely terrible CEO, so I can't say he'll be missed. Satoru Iwata will now be CEO of Nintendo of America along with the main Japanese branch.

Aye, and many of us are just now beginning to realize this. Reggie is the COO, not CEO, and I further agree that Kimishima SUCKED! Glad to see Iwata himself is taking charge of things from here on out. It means greater chances that we, the fans, will get listened to, and titles that previously got the shaft like thus far the Fatal Frame 2 remake that Operation Zero has been campaigning for, will have a much higher degree of chance to come over to North America as well.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#12Kenokun128Posted 5/1/2013 4:36:48 AM
I still dont understand why NoA decided Xenoblade to only have 10000 copies printed. Its one of the best games they have and they didnt maximize the potential sales of it, yet theres a massive surplus of Wii Music sitting in some warehouse gathering dust in NoA headquarters.

First of all 10,000 copies is an incredibly low print number for a video game in the US region and even if you sold every copy you would never recoup the costs of manufacture and distribution. In order to be remotely profitable a US title is usually given at least 100,000 and that is considered an extremely low print run. Also when you manufacture discs it is usually cheaper to print in larger volumes. Also the cost of distribution in the US is much higher then it is in Japan.

An excellent article detailing how difficult and risky it can be to manufacture a game.
http://www.1up.com/features/how-retail-games-are-made

Fortunately as someone already mentioned Xenoblade sold about 300,000 copies which equates to about $18 million. Not bad but consider that Wii Music, often considered by many as a commercial failure has since 2009 sold at least 2.65 million copies globally.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2009/090508e.pdf#page=5

I love Xenoblade and I think it is an excellent game but I also know how risky a move it was for Nintendo to publish such a title. JRPGs have not been a hot-seller in the American console market for a long time and the Xeno series is not exactly the most popular franchise around. While the fanbase around this game was very vocal, there was no way to determine how many people would actually buy this game.

There is good reason why it took Nintendo so long to eventually release the game. The chances of Xenoblade becoming a commercial failure was very high, but they knew fans wanted it, and if it sold it could be the beginning of a new franchise for them. Reggie and Iwata are not the only people who have a say in what goes on at Nintendo, there is an entire board of people that need to be convinced that this is worth the risk.

They did everything they could to keep costs down including a limited release and minimal advertising, while still making sure that the game was a quality product, in order to minimize the amount of risk should they fail.

Nintendo has tasted failure before, the original run of Earthbound was a sales disapointment and back then cartridges were far more expensive to manufacture then discs. But after many years Nintendo is crazy enough to give it another shot, so if you want them to continue to release these kinds of games then you need to speak with your wallet.
---
It takes an Idiot to do cool things, Thats why its cool.
-Furikuri
#13IcedEarthaholicPosted 5/1/2013 5:19:49 AM
That's 300K in the US alone, worldwide it reached closer to 650 - 750K. For a JRPG not named Final Fantasy, that is quite the feat. Further, in spite of what you say, JRPGs actually sell better in the US than even in Japan itself. They're niche, yes, but bear in mind that in order to supplement markets, relying on only three franchises simply won't cut it forever. I am glad to see Xenoblade is evolving, Monolithsoft's "X" is already slated to come to North America.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#14DoomsSDPosted 5/1/2013 6:46:30 AM
IcedEarthaholic posted...
That's 300K in the US alone, worldwide it reached closer to 650 - 750K. For a JRPG not named Final Fantasy, that is quite the feat. Further, in spite of what you say, JRPGs actually sell better in the US than even in Japan itself. They're niche, yes, but bear in mind that in order to supplement markets, relying on only three franchises simply won't cut it forever. I am glad to see Xenoblade is evolving, Monolithsoft's "X" is already slated to come to North America.

I suppose that's one thing- in Japan, a JRPG has a saturated market to compete in, in USA they have something of a captive audience (the few that do make it over) as they're not hugely exposed to JRPGs.

A JRPG could actually amass a small but respectable following in America if it's capable of getting good attention.
---
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#15TerotrousPosted 5/1/2013 6:53:01 AM
Kenokun128 posted...
I love Xenoblade and I think it is an excellent game but I also know how risky a move it was for Nintendo to publish such a title. JRPGs have not been a hot-seller in the American console market for a long time and the Xeno series is not exactly the most popular franchise around. While the fanbase around this game was very vocal, there was no way to determine how many people would actually buy this game.

There is good reason why it took Nintendo so long to eventually release the game. The chances of Xenoblade becoming a commercial failure was very high, but they knew fans wanted it, and if it sold it could be the beginning of a new franchise for them. Reggie and Iwata are not the only people who have a say in what goes on at Nintendo, there is an entire board of people that need to be convinced that this is worth the risk.

The thing is it was already localized, so the vast majority of the costs had already been paid. The game could only be a commercial failure if it sold less than like 10k, and with it being a Nintendo-published title, it gets like 200k sales for free based on Nintendo's name alone.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Aladdin"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#16Kenokun128Posted 5/2/2013 5:24:45 AM
The thing is it was already localized, so the vast majority of the costs had already been paid. The game could only be a commercial failure if it sold less than like 10k, and with it being a Nintendo-published title, it gets like 200k sales for free based on Nintendo's name alone.

Its true they did save some money by using the Euro version however you must not also forget the costs of marketing the game which often costs just as much as development itself on larger AAA titles. They solved this of course by doing as little advertisement as possible but even those Banner Ads come at a cost especially on major game websites usually around the $100k to $1m depending on how prominent they want the ad and for how long.

Most people know Xenoblade from the Xenosaga and Xenogears, but most players know this as being a Square/Monolith series not a Nintendo one, in fact this is the only Xeno game to be released on a Nintendo platform. So the Nintendo brand has little effect here until they release future sequels.

Also don't forget that distribution is significantly more in the US then Japan. Shipping 100k games to stores in highly dense area no bigger then the size of california is a lot easier then shipping 100k games to every retailer in the US. Of course They also minimized this risk by only shipping to gamestop and online, but it is still a cost that must be considered.

Still the good news is that the game was very succesful which means that the next Xenoblade will probably be given a proper wide release and hopefully Nintendo will be less risk-adversed to bringing over future Jrpgs.
---
It takes an Idiot to do cool things, Thats why its cool.
-Furikuri
#17JackalPosted 5/2/2013 5:32:55 AM
He's a salesman. A Tony Robbins of gaming. Nintendo fans needed someone to lead them and he appeared. His smile was like warm rays of sunlight to them. Making them feel safe and reassured.

The Pied Piper played his magic flute and lead the children away.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz