Nintendo PMs Wii owners to buy WiiU; "Not just an upgrade".

#31Dr Edward RoivasPosted 5/1/2013 9:26:48 AM
DoomsSD posted...
Terotrous posted...
This is one of the most hilarious marketting failures of all time. To be quite honest they really do need to rename the console.

Wii NU, anyone? :p

How about Wii Uber?
---
Tie it on, in your mind. It's your Noctourniquet.
#32TsuzuruPosted 5/1/2013 9:50:28 AM
PM's to wii users, LMAO!!!
#33El_ZaggyPosted 5/1/2013 9:52:49 AM
lol thats desperate
#34HereticKitsunePosted 5/1/2013 10:04:14 AM
...I don't see the problem here, or how it's desperate. They screwed up by not marketing the Wii U properly so people think it's just an upgrade or add-on for the Wii rather than a new console (they focused too much on promoting the gamepad alone rather than everything else the Wii U can do). To fix this, they directly tell Wii owners that, yes, it's a new console. It's a good idea and I'm surprised they just now got around to doing it. A lot easier and cheaper than pretty much every alternative, and very effective.

Besides, are you guys going to tell me that Sony and Microsoft aren't going to do basically the same thing when their new systems pop up? I'm almost positive that there will be tons of advertisements on the PSN and Live for their respective new systems.
---
mildare_el_rayo: What's the word I'm looking for, here? "An angsty person who loves to complain."
Calad:Squall?
#35jackorhoadsPosted 5/1/2013 10:08:15 AM
ska_dude101 posted...
jackorhoads posted...
People complaining how the consumer doesn't know the difference between a wii and wiiu...nintendo sends out a message in laymans terms...trolls laugh. I don't get what these people expect/want tbh.

"People" aren't complaining about how the consumer doesn't know the difference. Nintendo is complaining about how the consumer doesn't know the difference. The fact of the matter is, if Nintendo's marketing team wasn't so completely inept this message, that honestly kinda smells of desperation, wouldn't have the need to be sent at all.

The marketing has been terrible yes but you seriously think people aren't complaining? really?! most topics on this site are complaints.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#36deathslovePosted 5/1/2013 10:08:41 AM
I think it is bad that they need to do this.
I think casuals have moved on from video games and it won't help because they probably don't play games or the wii that much anyways.
The ones who still play wii often probably already know what the wii U is.
#37WhiteWolf338Posted 5/1/2013 10:11:27 AM
Wow nintendo is really really desperate. So sad nintendo has come to this.
#38ska_dude101Posted 5/1/2013 10:11:46 AM
jackorhoads posted...

The marketing has been terrible yes but you seriously think people aren't complaining? really?! most topics on this site are complaints.

They aren't complaints relating to not knowing that the Wii U is a different console, they're complaints related to how poor Nintendo's general execution and support of the Wii U has been. Two different things.
#39PendragoonPosted 5/1/2013 10:12:24 AM
OtakuGamera posted...
it's actually a pretty ingenious marketing strategy.. it costs no money, no effort, can be send to all wii owners and nintendo fans, it's a win win.

though it does feel awfully desperate

Sony had PS4 info all over my PS3 after their event in February. Microsoft will do the same in May. It is smart and advertises directly to your fans. Nothing desperate about it.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#40WhiteWolf338Posted 5/1/2013 10:14:41 AM
Very desperate. Guess Nintendo cant rely just on casuals anymore like they did with the Wii.